Forum Member

Fair Enough. Yeah, maybe I made it sound as though we don't move until the radio has quieted. No, in reality, we make our way towards the trucks, but listening and not running like probies. That's all I was trying to convey. Hey maybe some houses literally run to the truck and thats cool if that is what you do. Some of our newer members do that and nobody thinks less of them, minus some ribbing. So NEW question. If you will run to the truck...will you run on the fire scene? Or any scene for that matter?

--Also did not mention... I see your point with the MDT but surely your officer has better things to be thinking of than relaying to you what he sees on his computer screen, right?
    Last edited by truckedup133; 01-18-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    --Also did not mention... I see your point with the MDT but surely your officer has better things to be thinking of than relaying to you what he sees on his computer screen, right?
    Since I am the officer, I feel comfortable saying that glancing at the screen doesn't take away from my decision making capabilities or thought process. This is not an exaggeration of a typical response...
    • Call goes out. People listen to the speaker enroute to the rig and getting dressed.
    • Board the rig, press the "enroute" button on the MDT. Listen to the 60-Series Detroit fire up and watch the driver exit the bay.
    • From the back of rig: "What do we have, loo?"
    • Me: "Comments say it's a car on fire in front of the Oak Bridge apartments."
    • Fireman: "Gotcha"
    • Me: Press the "Map/GIS" button on the MDT, which pulls up a GIS map of the 3-block area surrounding where the incident it located. Then enjoy the rest of my lights and sirens trip to the vehicle fire.

In our department, we're blessed with technology. We get it over the speaker, the MDT, and an alpha-pager for each specific apparatus.

Heck, even at the volly house, we get it over the speaker, have it recorded for playback on the Minitor, get the address and call type on our cell phones, and the cell phone that's assigned to the engine.

I'm not saying that we ought to dismiss the loudspeaker overall, nor am I advocating running to the rig like a rookie, but in our situation, we have alternative means of gathering the info if we don't catch it initially.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    In our department, we're blessed with technology. We get it over the speaker, the MDT, and an alpha-pager for each specific apparatus.

Heck, even at the volly house, we get it over the speaker, have it recorded for playback on the Minitor, get the address and call type on our cell phones, and the cell phone that's assigned to the engine.
    Hey its that simple...and yes you have no excuse to not know what the call is for! Maybe its just my crew. I suppose im the youngest of the group, but still it remains a very senior crew. I know what kind of looks I used to get when I asked the very questions you have given as example. LOL. Quite funny the minute differences. See BOX....this is why I have always loved this forum. Now if we can get the the drama and the bull**** of the main threads cut back a little bit, it might be bearable again.

Forum Member

I'd like an update from Michael to see how he and his crew are getting along since he changed his demeanor.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    I'd like an update from Michael to see how he and his crew are getting along since he changed his demeanor.
    They fragged him in the basement of an abandoned tenement.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Snowball, it's been a whole lot better. We're doing some things now as a crew that previously we hadn't done (regardless of the way I acted)...we'll go out and BBQ or just play a game of poker at the fire house.

Something else that has changed is how we "maintain our crew". Before, it would be common to send one firefighter to get groceries while the other firefighters stayed outside sitting in the engine. After apologizing to my fellow firefighters a couple months ago, we've started to make sure that we do as much together as possible. We now shop with all members inside the store for more than one reason. It provides us an opportunity for PR and also to just spend time together. The same goes for dinner.

After being "enlightened" and now looking back on this thread several months later, I scared myself. I can't believe that I use to be 'that guy'.

Either way, this might have been 'the best mistake I ever made'...as not only I, but my fellow firefighters have gotten along a LOT better.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael232 View Post
    Snowball, it's been a whole lot better. We're doing some things now as a crew that previously we hadn't done (regardless of the way I acted)...we'll go out and BBQ or just play a game of poker at the fire house.

Something else that has changed is how we "maintain our crew". Before, it would be common to send one firefighter to get groceries while the other firefighters stayed outside sitting in the engine. After apologizing to my fellow firefighters a couple months ago, we've started to make sure that we do as much together as possible. We now shop with all members inside the store for more than one reason. It provides us an opportunity for PR and also to just spend time together. The same goes for dinner.

After being "enlightened" and now looking back on this thread several months later, I scared myself. I can't believe that I use to be 'that guy'.

Either way, this might have been 'the best mistake I ever made'...as not only I, but my fellow firefighters have gotten along a LOT better.

Better that than the grenade!!....

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Nice work. I am glad you worked it out. I am also glad that you came here, took the beating you did and didn't run away ****ed off. Congratulations for taking it like a man and learning from it.

Good luck with your crew and the rest of your career.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Nice work. I am glad you worked it out. I am also glad that you came here, took the beating you did and didn't run away ****ed off. Congratulations for taking it like a man and learning from it.

Good luck with your crew and the rest of your career.
    Thank you, FyredUp.

Forum Member

As each new rank brings new responsibilities... remember the lessons learned as you "climb the ladder"... it makes accepting the responsibilities and the acceptance of your personnel's trust a lot easier.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Oh really ? OMG! well that's pretty amazing buddy..

Forum Member

I can't believe I didn't see this before. Have to agree with everyone, nice work. I'm glad you grew from the conversation/merciless **** pounding you took here, and didn't just get angry and storm off like a 3 year old.

Good work. Keep it up. Not only does your crew probably respect you more, but I'd wager that you respect yourself more now too.

Thread Information