Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Thinking of being volunteer firefighter?

I have a few questions:

1.) Where can I get strobes for the headlights and tail lights? Is it possible to mount more than 1 light bar? Can I have more than one siren?

2.) do they usually have a keg at the firehouse and is there a limit on how much I can use it?

3.) do I have to go on all calls or can I only on real calls when there is an actual fire?

4.) the county uses a trunked system, can i get a scanner so I can listen or will they give me a radio. Or will i have to buy my own radio?

MembersZone Subscriber

I hope no one encourages this person.

ljm
    Forum Member

Yes. To all your questions. Best of luck!

I hope the hell you are kidding or you my friend have some serious issues.

Based on what you write, don't think about becoming a firefighter. We already have enough guys out there for the wrong reason and giving us a black eye.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

You know, There is alot more to this job than lights, t-shirts, and spraying water.
    Bring enough hose.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Go away troll....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thumbs down What?

No one can be this ....>Censored< , I'll just say that I doubt it's for real.
    Last edited by XRaysJL; 08-04-2010 at 10:54 AM.

There's no way in hell this guy is for real.

I wonder if our ex-resident troll is back with a new username, and he thought this would stir things up without letting on that it was him.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ljm View Post
    Yes. To all your questions. Best of luck!
    Exactly....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Don't listen to these jokers, I'll answer your questions seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo1 View Post
    I have a few questions:

1.) Where can I get strobes for the headlights and tail lights? Is it possible to mount more than 1 light bar? Can I have more than one siren?
    Absolutely. I recommend two light bars on the roof, front and rear. In addition headliner light bars can be mounted on the front/rear windows giving you a total of 4 lightbars. That takes care of front and rear visibility, you will still need additional lighting for the sides. You should have at least two sirens, they only work one way so you need front and rear.

2.) do they usually have a keg at the firehouse and is there a limit on how much I can use it?
    Yes there's always multiple kegs, beer and food is a major portion of most VFFs budgets. I'm not sure I understand the second part of your question regarding "limits" of keg use though. You use the keg until its empty. Then tap the next one.

3.) do I have to go on all calls or can I only on real calls when there is an actual fire?
    You only go on the "real" calls. And by real I mean you only go on the auto alarms and EMS runs. If you hear anything about smoke showing all you have to do is just pretend like your pager is broken and explain how much it sucks you missed the "big one". You don't want to actually go when there's a fire, that stuff is hot and can be dangerous!

4.) the county uses a trunked system, can i get a scanner so I can listen or will they give me a radio. Or will i have to buy my own radio?
    You should be issued a digital pager, voice pager, two-way radio, car scanner, and home/base scanner.

I hope that helps....

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post

Absolutely. I recommend two light bars on the roof, front and rear. In addition headliner light bars can be mounted on the front/rear windows giving you a total of 4 lightbars. That takes care of front and rear visibility, you will still need additional lighting for the sides. You should have at least two sirens, they only work one way so you need front and rear.

Yes there's always multiple kegs, beer and food is a major portion of most VFFs budgets. I'm not sure I understand the second part of your question regarding "limits" of keg use though. You use the keg until its empty. Then tap the next one.

You only go on the "real" calls. And by real I mean you only go on the auto alarms and EMS runs. If you hear anything about smoke showing all you have to do is just pretend like your pager is broken and explain how much it sucks you missed the "big one". You don't want to actually go when there's a fire, that stuff is hot and can be dangerous!

You should be issued a digital pager, voice pager, two-way radio, car scanner, and home/base scanner.

I hope that helps....
    You forgot that he will be issued 2 cell phones also..... What were you thinking????
    Bring enough hose.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Wink Oopssss.........

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePrimitive View Post

I hope that helps....

Couple of Points........ Some of the perks in Squirrelin......Sorry , Volunteering, vary from place to place. Here, we generally don't have a bunch of kegs around. Instead, we purchase Jack Daniels at Wholesale Prices, with the Savings trickling down to the Members.........(Literally). Also, Common Practice where people have plenty of Money is to give each Member a Portable Radio so they can always stay in touch. This is really a great way to go, since it eliminates the need to contact a Dispatcher by Phone. Instead you can call the IC directly at the Fire Scene to see if you're needed....... Last, Many folks overdo it when it comes to lightbars. I would offer a better way that saves you money, Increases available light propagation, and at the same time saves wear on your Honda Civic's Electrical Syatem. Go to any Auto/Truck parts dealer and purchase from 8 to 12 Automotive Exterior Mirrors. The Mounting Brackets that come with the Mirrors are capable of being mounted almost anywhere, so place them at Random Spacing on the Roof of the Car, and focus the light beams from only one light Bar to cover any direction around your vehicle........

Good Luck, let us know how it works out...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I have a few questions:

uhhhhh im gonna vote no on this one.

I have a few questions:

You will be issued....

1; A bell and a Johnny Ranger flashlight for your tricycle

2; A lifetime supply of root beer flavored lolipops

3; Instead of responding to calls you are required to watch fireman sam and other similiar life and fire safety videos.

4;You will be issued a genuine GI Joe walkie talkie set with the bonus super spy decoder ring
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Here we go again about lights on a POV!

BoBo1, try looking for the thread on this.

`
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011 at 01:53 PM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Either this is a troll, or a teen wannabe.

Is there a firefighter comic book hero that is popular now?

Talking Comic book?

Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Either this is a troll, or a teen wannabe.

Is there a firefighter comic book hero that is popular now?
    I remember the old "Squad 51" comic books.

Ummm this person scares me.

Forum Member

anyone rember the thread "Q on my car" ?

Thread Information