Forum Member

Default Is First Responder a requirement?

I am a firefighter at Long Lake volunteer Fire department over the last few years they keeping talking that First Responder is a “requirement” in the state of Illinois (where the governors make your license plates) for a firefighter does anybody have any document or statue stating this to be true? I have searched and can’t seem to find anything. I was looking for state or federal laws.

Thanks
    Steve Chapman, Secretary
    Long Lake Volunteer FD

MembersZone Subscriber

no.................

Forum Member

Id imagine the state fire Marshall, bureau, etc etc whatever you call that branch of state government in the case would be the best people to consult.

Forum Member

Call the State or your rep.

I doubt if this would be true, but I have seen stranger things in the Fire Service. At issue would be the shear number of departments that would be gutted with this kind of unfunded mandate.

Can they do it? Sure.

Is it a good idea? Yep, but only if they are going to pay for it.

They would push alot of people out of the fire service though. Many will not have the time, will not make the commitment, and some just can't handle blood.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

It is required in Massachusetts. First responder is a 24 hour course with 8 hours of refresher a year.

My FD gets 2% of base salary for first responder, and if you are an EMT-B, you get 5% of base salary, so in actuality it is 7%.

This is for all ranks.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    It is required in Massachusetts. First responder is a 24 hour course with 8 hours of refresher a year.

My FD gets 2% of base salary for first responder, and if you are an EMT-B, you get 5% of base salary, so in actuality it is 7%.

This is for all ranks.
    24 hours is about 1/2 of what most do in the midwest. 16 hour Refresher every 2 years.

Does that apply to volunteers as well? I am just curious because the op indicates he is a volunteer in his signature.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    24 hours is about 1/2 of what most do in the midwest. 16 hour Refresher every 2 years.

Does that apply to volunteers as well? I am just curious because the op indicates he is a volunteer in his signature.
    I know that career firefighters and police officers have to be certified first responders. I believe that it also applies for volunteers and paid on call.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

No such requirement for career or volunteer in LA.

Most career departments run EMS and have EMT-B as thier baseline. There are a few career departments that do not run EMS, and have no EMS requirements beyond CPR and the medical training required by FFI.

(All career personnel must have FFI to be eligible for state supplemental pay)

I don't believe there were any EMS requirements in VT for either career or volunteer firefighters either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Call the State or your rep.

I doubt if this would be true, but I have seen stranger things in the Fire Service. At issue would be the shear number of departments that would be gutted with this kind of unfunded mandate.

Can they do it? Sure.

Is it a good idea? Yep, but only if they are going to pay for it.

They would push alot of people out of the fire service though. Many will not have the time, will not make the commitment, and some just can't handle blood.
    Yes that the problem they want us to take a 24 hour course plus 8 hours a year for up keep. Lucky for me I have been grandfathered, We (volunteer) cant keep up with the costs that why I trying to find out if this is required. I joined the fire department to fight fires not EMS. Sorry ems people it just not for me. I will try the state fire marshal.

Forum Member

No requirement here in NYS. At least no state requirement. I believe NY is a home rule state so all the depts make their own requirements. Most of the career depts in my county require EMT, some just CFR. I don't know any pure volunteer depts that require anything more than CPR. Mine certainly doesn't.

Forum Member

have you called and talked directly to the stae fire marshal's office??

2. Does a fire department have to train for certification
    through OSFM?
    The certification program in Illinois is not mandatory, but a
    department may utilize the programs for training even
    though certification is not pursued. The training programs
    developed by this division meet or exceed the requirements
    of NFPA and when utilized, will meet the requirements
    mandated by the Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL). For
    requirements mandated by IDOL please call 217/785-7056.

http://www.sfm.illinois.gov/fireserv...ypes-ffii.aspx

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I know that career firefighters and police officers have to be certified first responders. I believe that it also applies for volunteers and paid on call.
    I don't think it is required, but I am not sure. In my dept it is not required to join but we do get certified because we run on medicals.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
    I joined the fire department to fight fires not EMS. Sorry ems people it just not for me.
    Think of it this way - if you suffer an injury or medical emergency on the fireground, then you've got a bunch of people with at least some medical training to help you out. And vice versa.

It's a whole lot better than a half dozen guys standing around you as you lay on the ground, wondering if there is anything they can do for you...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Early Adopter

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No such requirement for career or volunteer in LA. Most career departments run EMS and have EMT-B as thier baseline. There are a few career departments that do not run EMS, and have no EMS requirements beyond CPR and the medical training required by FFI.
    A minimum of First Responder is required to complete the Arkansas Fire Academy's rookie school. They traditionally offer the 40-hour class the week before rookie school begins. This is for anyone completing Firefighter I & II -- career or volunteer.

The volunteer firefighters in my department are trained to Firefighter I, which has First Responder and HazMat Operations as requirements of the program.

MembersZone Subscriber

We required first responder as a minimum. Not sure if it's a county thing or a state requirement. The issue that we are having is that first responder is very rarely offered in our part of the stat. They are generally trying to push everyone to EMT-B and offer those classes more often.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by happychappy View Post
    I am a firefighter at Long Lake volunteer Fire department over the last few years they keeping talking that First Responder is a “requirement” in the state of Illinois (where the governors make your license plates) for a firefighter does anybody have any document or statue stating this to be true? I have searched and can’t seem to find anything. I was looking for state or federal laws.
    What do you care? In the amount of time it takes you to find the law, you could be halfway done with the class. Is learning basic first aid beneath you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    Think of it this way - if you suffer an injury or medical emergency on the fireground, then you've got a bunch of people with at least some medical training to help you out. And vice versa.

It's a whole lot better than a half dozen guys standing around you as you lay on the ground, wondering if there is anything they can do for you...
    Couldn't agree more.

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    What do you care? In the amount of time it takes you to find the law, you could be halfway done with the class. Is learning basic first aid beneath you?
    I think it is. By what he has said already.

OP who keeps saying its a requirement? The State? Your Training officer? Your Fire Chief?

Fire Departments not only fight fires now of days they also run medical calls. The volunteer fire department isn't there just to fight fires either its there to help its community.

So what is so bad about requiring people on the department to have the bare minimum medical training?
    RIP Hela

"You have to do better then your best."
    BUD's instuctor Class 234

"A man who won't die for something is not fit to live."
    Martin Luther King, Jr

Forum Member

My understanding is (in Cali) we are required to only have basic CPR skills.

Our department strongly urges it's members to be first responders. Fortunately we have been able to offer first responder training in-house. Even though I have taken the course, I've always try to attend more courses as much as possible. You'd be surprised how much more you learn the second or third time.
    Last edited by Blulakr; 08-10-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    My wise and profound comments and opinions are mine alone and are in no way associated with any other individual or group.

Forum Member

From the research I have performed, being a first responder is not a state requirement UNLESS you are wishing to become FF II certified by the state. Then first responder is a requirement of FF II.

We currently do not require our members to be first responders but we highly suggest it. I took the course last year and at that time in Illinois it was a 40 hour course unless you already had health care provider CPR certification, then it was only 32 hours. Also Illinois requires 24 hours of continuing education every 4 years for first responders. Your first responder license is valid for 4 years.

Like someone else said, take the class, it will not hurt you and you never know when what you learned just might come in handy!

Forum Member

Should be,

Good luck though.

Thread Information