1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    121

    Default 1199A for AFG 2010

    I thought I would start a new thread in the event the 1199A's should be rolling out the door pretty soon. Update this thread if you find one!

    Good Luck!

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Anyone got any insight as to when we can expect to see movement w 1199's or first round of awards for that matter?

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    SLY4420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    Word a few weeks ago was that they were planning (hoping) to have Round 1 out by the end of this month or early September. That sort of was confirmed with the discovery of reductions back earlier this month. If it holds true, 1199As would need to start dropping this week or next.

    I think we're close.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    medic190's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Stuyvesant Falls, NY
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post
    I think we're close.
    Famous last words....

    Would be nice though!

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    EastKyFF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Nippa, KY
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    Found a reduction today--cut a TIC from $10K to $9K. They can sure live with that if it comes through.

    This is like waking up every day and it's the 23rd of December.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    yeah I noticed a reduction yesterday. one of the Reno Crew from Michigan called me yesterday and said he was told by AFG they were scheduled for first week of September.

  7. #7
    choffd

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Olmsted Falls,Ohio
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Found a reduction on a PPE application but it was expected. Was hoping the 1199's would be out before I retire this Friday. Always enjoy seeing the look on the guys faces when they find out we are getting something new.

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,761

    Default

    I wouldn't expect any 1199A's in the short term. It appears that the first awards will not be until late Spetember early October.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    I wouldn't expect any 1199A's in the short term. It appears that the first awards will not be until late Spetember early October.
    What is the hold up this year? Last year they blamed the fire station grant and new software....what is it this year? Once upon a time, back in 2008, I was awarded a pumper grant in July....and that was for AFG 2008....why can't they get it together anymore?

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReb22 View Post
    What is the hold up this year? Last year they blamed the fire station grant and new software....what is it this year? Once upon a time, back in 2008, I was awarded a pumper grant in July....and that was for AFG 2008....why can't they get it together anymore?
    From what I understand the AFG is short staffed and they are playing catch up with the 2009 AFG & SAFER. Once completed they will move onto 2010 AFG.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    From what I understand the AFG is short staffed and they are playing catch up with the 2009 AFG & SAFER. Once completed they will move onto 2010 AFG.
    Don't forget that 2010 SAFER just launched and many of the folks responsible for AFG are also pulling double duty for SAFER. Having been to the DC office and met all the folks who work on the program, I'm amazed and grateful that they accomplish such huge feats with such few staff.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davepa View Post
    Don't forget that 2010 SAFER just launched and many of the folks responsible for AFG are also pulling double duty for SAFER. Having been to the DC office and met all the folks who work on the program, I'm amazed and grateful that they accomplish such huge feats with such few staff.
    Then let the Fire Grant people use the $15,000,000 in 2009 left over funds to hire the extra persons to get the overall project on schedule. The administration is so adamant about job creation, then create the jobs by in-house sources. Turn SAFER towards recruitment and retention to help those local governments or else transfer the allocation for 2010 SAFER towards 2011 AFG or even towards awarding those previous 'on-the-fence', but denied applications.

    Otherwise get that leftover $15,000,000 awarded and over with or possibly streamline the NIMS agency which is shooting itself in the foot with its rules and threats to hurt departments and governments for lack of compliancy. They want one computer for each certification and no more NIMS classrooms anymore.

    NIMS is out of control. A valuable system that turned bad, including threatning.

    AFG needs to release its 2010 Dear Johns ASAP as well, because some of those receiving them need to adjust their plans or even demand accountability for why the DJ.

    Enough with the overworked status excuses and other excuses such as the increased workload. In our world we are supposed to fix our problems. I demand the government and AFG do the same. Don't fix the blame on software, lack of staff or a new administration throwing in a new program. They need to kick this system like they demand we fix our problems or else.
    Last edited by jam24u; 08-22-2010 at 08:26 PM.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    I couldn't agree more jam.....


    Quote Originally Posted by jam24u View Post
    Then let the Fire Grant people use the $15,000,000 in 2009 left over funds to hire the extra persons to get the overall project on schedule. The administration is so adamant about job creation, then create the jobs by in-house sources. Turn SAFER towards recruitment and retention to help those local governments or else transfer the allocation for 2010 SAFER towards 2011 AFG or even towards awarding those previous 'on-the-fence', but denied applications.

    Otherwise get that leftover $15,000,000 awarded and over with or possibly streamline the NIMS agency which is shooting itself in the foot with its rules and threats to hurt departments and governments for lack of compliancy. They want one computer for each certification and no more NIMS classrooms anymore.

    NIMS is out of control. A valuable system that turned bad, including threatning.

    AFG needs to release its 2010 Dear Johns ASAP as well, because some of those receiving them need to adjust their plans or even demand accountability for why the DJ.

    Enough with the overworked status excuses and other excuses such as the increased workload. In our world we are supposed to fix our problems. I demand the government and AFG do the same. Don't fix the blame on software, lack of staff or a new administration throwing in a new program. They need to kick this system like they demand we fix our problems or else.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WJVaughn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Dickson TN
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    I just checked my stuff just in case but no changes noted. Would be nice to have something to show the new Mayor when he starts next week. Job security you know.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    I called AFG concerning a problem with one of applications I had written and submitted for another department. Was concerned about its chances at peer. Was just feeling them out to see if something could be done in case a mistake in the narrative hurt it and if there was anything that could be done. ( I also forgot to ask about the 1199 schedule like usual)

    They told me it it got DJ'd by the computer.

    That I was not expecting....................

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Monroe, MI
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Hey Jam, was that for a vech. or ops. grant? As I mentioned on the phone the other day to you, my reg. rep stated that there was no information on my vech. app. Maybe I need to call back now that they may have further information.

  17. #17
    Forum Member
    mjollnir_k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default After being out of the game for 4 years

    I see not much has changed. I really wish they would get the DJ's on the way. That way my department could go on and either make plans for next years AFG or start the long process in teaming up with the local governments to apply for USDA and other funding sources. Or if we hit solidify the budget since our local government is in such a spending mood.

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Bad news guys. Just talked to my Regional Fire Grant Specialist and he said that they thought it would have been better this year but it looks like its gonna be a repeat of last year. He said he was told that awards should start going out the begining of October and hopefully the DJ's get out towards the end of September.

    He said there was a shake up at AFG and they lost alot of people. They also are focusing resources of SAFER now so not much will happend until SAFER closes.

    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I've been waiting patiently.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,025

    Default

    DJ's out before any awards?

    Not the normal route.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Yeah, getting the computer DJ's out of the way before the 1199's could help.

    I am really wondering what it was that caused the computer to spit it out. I thought sure it would get to peer. Everything in the narrative was correct except I failed to change one of the quantities of the number of wildland gear needed. The totals were correct everywhere else including the online details. I had one year where I failed to correct a five dollar mistake on an ops application after I submitted it, I thought I would have to write that one off. I sent an email explaining the mistake immediately after submitting it to AFG, but Pinky Sheets said that there could be no corrections after submission. Well to my surprise they awarded it anyway.

    I was a little late with this one, but was attempting to try and enhance our chances anyway. Then the AFG representative tells me it got computer DJ'd which eliminates that mistake, but raises a lot of questions about why?

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rands1 View Post
    Hey Jam, was that for a vech. or ops. grant? As I mentioned on the phone the other day to you, my reg. rep stated that there was no information on my vech. app. Maybe I need to call back now that they may have further information.
    No my DJ for 2009 was my vehicle application.

    The DJ I am referring to now is a different departments OPS application that I submitted for 2010. I just got the Dear John a bit earlier than everyone else.

  22. #22
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    NW Indiana
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Wierd that they told you it was DJ'ed with nothing else out anywhere. Even if the person you talked to could see it on their screen, it seems odd that he/she would jeapordize their job by spilling the beans instead of taking the company line that nobody knows anything yet.

    Somehow i get the feeling that:
    A. you caught an employee who has just had it with questions and decided that he was going to lay it on the line,
    B. he was telling you something else but chose words that would lead you to believe the app was out of the running,
    C. he was just jerking your chain before grabbing a beer out of the 'fridge and pulling the emergency chute on his last day at DHS/FEMA.

    Good luck to you and that department.

    earl

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long time no Sea
    Posts
    2,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    Wierd that they told you it was DJ'ed with nothing else out anywhere. Even if the person you talked to could see it on their screen, it seems odd that he/she would jeapordize their job by spilling the beans instead of taking the company line that nobody knows anything yet.

    Somehow i get the feeling that:
    A. you caught an employee who has just had it with questions and decided that he was going to lay it on the line,
    B. he was telling you something else but chose words that would lead you to believe the app was out of the running,
    C. he was just jerking your chain before grabbing a beer out of the 'fridge and pulling the emergency chute on his last day at DHS/FEMA.

    Good luck to you and that department.

    earl
    Maybe his hero was the flight attendant from Jet Blue.

    He mentioned he wasn't supposed to do that, but realized that I did make a mistake that had nothing to do with my department, but somebody elses.

    I really wanted this department to get awarded, but am a little stumped as to why they didn't make it though to peer. I did get the impression from the person that there were still some applications being reviewed or something. In other words, if the application did get a peer DJ for this mistake, that some option may have still been available to correct it.

  24. #24
    MembersZone Subscriber
    dfd701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Alabama USofA
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltoffd View Post
    Found a reduction on a PPE application but it was expected. Was hoping the 1199's would be out before I retire this Friday. Always enjoy seeing the look on the guys faces when they find out we are getting something new.
    How many years Itoffd? I wish I was in your shoes. I need 18 months that will give me 38 years total with the State retirement systems. We had a stress bill pasted a few years ago were you can get 30 for putting in 25 in the fire service. We pay a little more each month but it is well worth it in the long run. Can’t wait to go to my farm out in the country and not come back to town only when I have to. No more pager, radio, phone calls just peace and quiet. I think about the move SECOND HAND LIONS. That is what I want to do, seat on the porch and shoot at anyone that comes up the driveway.
    Last edited by dfd701; 08-24-2010 at 12:18 AM.

  25. #25
    choffd

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Olmsted Falls,Ohio
    Posts
    30

    Default

    How many years Itoffd? I wish I was in your shoes.
    Sorry it took a few days to get back on the post but I am ending a 41 year career tomorrow. Bittersweet but I think the time has come. City's are going after any benefit package they can and the talk of cuts in staffing and funding is making it harder to provide a quality service. We made giant strides in the seven years as Chief, now I am afraid they will start taking it apart.

    Will take two months off before I make any decisions. Many offers but I just do not know if I want to jump right into something. Going to relax and spend time with family, a few days on the links and a couple of cold ones on the patio. When I get bored of that I might look into some work but nothing in a lead role. I am done with that!
    Last edited by ltoffd; 08-26-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cleveland Fire Dept., Fire exam, July 31st, 2010
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 709
    Last Post: 08-20-2013, 11:16 PM
  2. Your Ideal Fleet
    By viperfire1 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 103
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 10:37 PM
  3. 2010 san antonio, texas fire exam
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 08:27 AM
  4. Veteran Affairs And Pensions
    By MalahatTwo7 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2010, 04:54 PM
  5. World Of Fire Report: 05-27-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2005, 12:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register