Forum Member

Default I just got my fone interview, and I have a few questions...

Yesterday, I received my fone interview for WSI. The guy that did the interview said that he wasnít even the guy who does the interviews for the Iraq Fire Protection/ Firefighter position. He told me that they are trying to send a large group of firefighters over, and asked if I was still interested in the position. The interview pretty much was nothing but a review of my resume and my fire service experience. Pretty easy, thank you all for the information about the fone interview; it really helped me stay calm, and not sound like I was desperate for the job. He said that I was a really good candidate for the position, and that I would be receiving a "Job Offer" letter from Miss India Moore, and a Medical and Background Check packet, and that I also need to get my Passport as soon as possible. He also asked how my immediate family would feel about me being an a "War Zone", I told him that I wasnít married nor have any kids, and that my family supports my decision to go over there. I also told him that I was going to the Alabama Fire College, from the 23rd to the 29th of August, to get my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator and that I would not be able to go till after I am done with those courses. He, as well as I, doesnít think that me going to the Alabama Fire College is going to keep me from going, because he asked if I am able to go over there within the next month and a half, and of course said yes. So I guess when I get my Medical and Background pack that will mean that I am going to get the job right? Does anyone have any idea what all is required for the physical, and if I can use/ or have a Navy Doctor do my physical? I am currently in the Navy Reserve, and I figure I would try to save a few dollars and see if I can get the Navy to help out with the physical. I asked him and he couldnít give me an answer, so I figured I would ask and see if anyone on this fourm could help me answer that question. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciated all the help and advice!

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats, and as long as your background is clear, you are hired... I'm currently with the group that was suppose to depart july 19, but due to some new visas guidelines we have to wait the normal 4-6 weeks to depart, so i think we will be out of here by aug 16.. as for the medical packet.. i dont see any issues with it being a navy doctor.. as long as he is a doctor, that packet even states a P.A. can exam you.. so you should be good to go.. good luck brother...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jadiam View Post
    congrats, and as long as your background is clear, you are hired... I'm currently with the group that was suppose to depart july 19, but due to some new visas guidelines we have to wait the normal 4-6 weeks to depart, so i think we will be out of here by aug 16.. as for the medical packet.. i dont see any issues with it being a navy doctor.. as long as he is a doctor, that packet even states a P.A. can exam you.. so you should be good to go.. good luck brother...
    Thanks! Im pretty sure my background is clear, I still have my Secret Clearance in the Navy, but who knows. Im not gona stress over it too much, Im pretty sure I will be fine, I dont have anything to hide and I've never been in trouble with the law or anything like that. I kind of figured that trying to get a Navy Doctor to do my physical would be ok. I just hope that I can get them to do it for me. What visa guidelines are keeping you from going now? Im just wondering, because I dont really want it to happen to me. Good luck out there brother, maybe I get sent to where your at.

Forum Member

If you are in the reserves. How can u go over seas?

Forum Member

I was in the reserves when I went over there. Just get with your unit about missing your man days. Maybe it's different in Ireland than it is in the US.

To the OP, I'd probably try to figure out how to spell phone properly, as you will be required to spell the word while in dispatch.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    I was in the reserves when I went over there. Just get with your unit about missing your man days. Maybe it's different in Ireland than it is in the US.

To the OP, I'd probably try to figure out how to spell phone properly, as you will be required to spell the word while in dispatch.
    I already talked with my Command, told them what is going on, and about my options with the Navy Reserve. I am going to go IRR while Im there, and Ill try to do some NKO courses while Im there for the points. Yea I know how to spell phone quite well thank you, I spell it my way when I dont have to worry about grammar, punctuation, or spelling. And the Irishfirefighter is from Florida not Ireland.

Forum Member

The visa requirements for Iraq have recently changed. In the past WSI and other companies were able to submit the visa request 2 weeks before a groups deployment date. The Iraqi government has recently decided that they are prohibiting the short notice visas and requiring the process to take 4 - 6 weeks. So, thats what Jadiam and myself are waiting on.

Forum Member

Unhappy Spelling

What is a fone interview?
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    What is a fone interview?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing myself. Must be sumting knew, huh??
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRivera24 View Post
    Yea I know how to spell phone quite well thank you, I spell it my way when I dont have to worry about grammar, punctuation, or spelling.

Just because you're on the internet doesn't mean you don't have to worry about grammar, punctuation, or spelling. It reflects big time on what others think of you, and it doesn't take all that much extra time to use real words, and complete sentences with punctuation.

This isn't a text message, this is a forum. Call me a Grammar Nazi if you must, but it's one of my pet peeves.

Good luck overseas, perhaps I will see you in the near future. I've been pondering doing this myself.
    Last edited by Chenzo; 08-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.

Forum Member

"this a forum" ?? ahhhhh glass houses.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firstin1968 View Post
    "this a forum" ?? ahhhhh glass houses.....
    Corrected.

Difference between the two is, mine was a simple mistake, and his misspelling was intentional and lazy.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Drama...

As usual someone manages to drag the conversation way off topic....DON'T MIND IF I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it dumb to see bad grammar, spelling AND punctuation errors on the forum? Probably...does it matter? T.h.I.n.K.i.N.g....not so much...BUT...You better start learning to do your 2's, 4's, 7's, 8's and 3's clean and neat. AND NO, it's not in chronological order...spelled that one right too...no spell check folks...it's a magic trick I know.

A phone interview is pretty self explanatory...but I will explain it anyway for you guys in one word...D-U-H. WOW! How hard was explanatory to spell! Glad I got it right or the FORUM SS would show up and really ruin my day when they started using a few choice words like Pet and peeve.

Am I in Iraq? No...am I going to be...nope...been there...got all the t-shirts....well..most of them anyway. They now clutter my drawer at home now. Darn. Spelling good so far? GREAT! PRESSING ON THEN!

I make a motion that we adjourn this meeting...

BOBBY HILL was here....
    "FBHF"

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What do Cops and Firefighters have in common? They BOTH WANT To be FIREFIGHTERS!"

"I love the Police Officers have firefighters to look up to..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rfalana View Post
    The visa requirements for Iraq have recently changed. In the past WSI and other companies were able to submit the visa request 2 weeks before a groups deployment date. The Iraqi government has recently decided that they are prohibiting the short notice visas and requiring the process to take 4 - 6 weeks. So, thats what Jadiam and myself are waiting on.
    Ahhh, now I see, thanks rfalana for the heads up about the visa thing. The guy that did my PHONE interview said that they would like me to be able to leave within the next month and a half. I told him that I was going to the Alabama Fire College to get my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator, and I will be ready and able to go after I complete those courses. I still have to get my passport, and have it expedited; damn thing is going to cost an arm and a leg! If I get this straight, WSI will get my visa and take care of everything involved with the visa, right? Because when I finally get my passport, they will probably want me to leave. When you got your ďJob OfferĒ letter and Medical and Background pack, did it have an anticipated/ estimated ďleave dateĒ? Thanks again for the visa help.

On another note, I never knew one word would cause so much controversy, so let me apologize. Never knew there were so many spelling Gestapoís here!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffbobbyhill View Post

I make a motion that we adjourn this meeting...

BOBBY HILL was here....
    I second.

All in favor?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    I second.

All in favor?
    Agreed. Ok, moving on...

Forum Member

Some words if i may:
    The issue with the grammar/spelling is usually over looked by one such as myself. I'm not perfect and at times i do mess up. Using the substitution of fone for phone just struck me as odd, as you are not really saving that much time by inserting the 'f'. That and it looks freaking idiotic.

Second note: Change your screen name. It's probably already too late. I know you are named Rivera and your first name starts with a T. You are more than likely 24 years old. The management of the company you trying to work for read this forum (yes, yes they do) and i have seen on several occasions (hell,i had to write a few) of people getting paperwork for the things said here. Things that would have otherwise been considered innocent or benign can be misinterpreted and hem you up.

Tertiary note: Don't change your name to 'Irishfireman' or 'Dutchfireman' or 'Russianfireman' unless you are really from ireland, are dutch, or hail from russia. That's just silly.

Forum Member

Some words if i may:
    The issue with the grammar/spelling is usually over looked by one such as myself. I'm not perfect and at times i do mess up. Using the substitution of fone for phone just struck me as odd, as you are not really saving that much time by inserting the 'f'. That and it looks freaking idiotic.

Second note: Change your screen name. It's probably already too late. I know you are named Rivera and your first name starts with a T. You are more than likely 24 years old. The management of the company you trying to work for read this forum (yes, yes they do) and i have seen on several occasions (hell,i had to write a few) of people getting paperwork for the things said here. Things that would have otherwise been considered innocent or benign can be misinterpreted and hem you up.

Tertiary note: Don't change your name to 'Irishfireman' or 'Dutchfireman' or 'Russianfireman' unless you are really from ireland, are dutch, or hail from russia. That's just silly.
    I am curious, why would something like the way I spell phone hem me up? I am in no way trying to start a fight, like I said I am just curious. It's not like I said anything bad about the company, nor would I. No I am not 24 years old, it's my favorite number.

Forum Member

Mr Rivera,
    You are over there for a long time with very little to do. Everyone talks about everyone, it just happens. If you in someway garner a reputation for being a smart alex that goes with you to your site, if you do something on Firehouse.com, that goes with you to your site (innocent or not), if you get transferred for some silly reason that goes with you to your site.

You get bored over there, people start to talk about each other, it just happens. It's better if you don't give them anything to talk about. Some idiotic spelling of a commonly used word is just something someone would ping on. Or you using your real name.

Just be careful on here, that's all i'm saying.

Forum Member

Mr Rivera,
    You are over there for a long time with very little to do. Everyone talks about everyone, it just happens. If you in someway garner a reputation for being a smart alex that goes with you to your site, if you do something on Firehouse.com, that goes with you to your site (innocent or not), if you get transferred for some silly reason that goes with you to your site.

You get bored over there, people start to talk about each other, it just happens. It's better if you don't give them anything to talk about. Some idiotic spelling of a commonly used word is just something someone would ping on. Or you using your real name.

I agree. I had a write up waiting for me upon arrival to my site for posting on here. People are going to talk about you while in country, but they get paid the same day you do. Just remember that.

Forum Member

Mr Rivera,

Yea, I can only imagine what people would say. Iíve been over there several times when I was on Active Duty in the Navy, and I know firsthand what people can do and say because they get bored, or jealous, or just want to stir the pot for that matter. Thankfully none of it involved me. I just didnít think that something like the spelling of a simple word would cause such a commotion. Yes, I was lazy, and I should have spelled it correctly. I just felt that since this was an internet forum and that, in my eyes, things are discussed and asked here in somewhat informal ways, that it wouldnít have been that big of a deal. But I guess thatís what I get for thinking, and itís a little too late for that. Iím not a smart *** nor am I the kind of guy that thinks my s#!@ doesnít stink. Iím a pretty humble guy. I didnít mean to cause all this commotion, so with that I sincerely apologize. I just had a couple questions about the next steps in the hiring process, and my possible options.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beach08 View Post
    I agree. I had a write up waiting for me upon arrival to my site for posting on here. People are going to talk about you while in country, but they get paid the same day you do. Just remember that.
    If I can ask, what were you written up for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CAFireman View Post
    If I can ask, what were you written up for?
    You should go back to the older Iraq thread, and look for post on FireFly.... He was a marked target years before he made it into theater... Just be careful on your comments, statements, and such...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beach08 View Post
    Ahh beach... good old Warhorse. Good times.

Forum Member

Wink

Ahh beach... good old Warhorse. Good times.

HA! I know who you are now!
    Last edited by Beach08; 08-09-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I miss spelled fone

Thread Information