Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 124
  1. #21
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Disagree.

    The road department has projects every day. The city staff has a continual workload. So does the library and the parks department. Simply does not compare to the periodic elevated manpower needs of a fire department.

    The bread and butter call for the fire department in a small city does not require a staff generally beyond 3 or 4. EMS calls. Minor MVAs. Trash fires. Vehicle fires. Gas leaks. Gasoline spills. Minor structural incidents like alarm trips, smoke investigations and food on the stove fires.

    And while there are daily tasks that need to be done such as fire prevention, vehicle, tool and station maintainence, pre-plan updates as well as hydrant, pump and hose testing, they all can be easily handled by that 3-4 firefighter crew.

    How often does a small or medium sized community have a working structure fire? Once a month? Once very other month? How about a major MVA, a major brush fire or any other major incident?

    The fact is that a small career force backed up by a well trained call, volunteer or reserve force is more than adequate for a small or medium sized (under 30K), and is a cost effective way to deliver fire and rescue services.
    Now when you say "backed up", what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about a manpower pool that gets called out to assist with larger incidents, a manpower pool that provides additional on-duty, in-station staffing, both or something else?


    To compare the FD to most other city departments with a consistent workload, especially those requiring professional administrative and technical skills is simply silly.
    No, it's really not "simply silly", you just aren't looking at it from the same viewpoint.

    Each department has a job to do and each hires workers to perform those jobs. With the current financial issues everybody is looking for a way to "save" money. The amount of "work" to be done hasn't necessarily decreased. If it has, it's more than likely tied into not having sufficient money for that project rather than the project not needing/wanting to be done.

    So, if the work still needs to be done and revenue is down, then obviously their needs to be a reduction in the cost of the work. Either the material costs or the labor costs have to be reduced in order to achieve the same level of work output.

    If you can't achieve sufficient savings in material costs, then obviously you have to layoff workers and/or make cuts in their compensation. Laying workers off obviously means less ability to produce the same level of work output. The call for volunteers to augment the career personnel clearly shows that people are recognizing that there is work that still needs to be performed even though a reduction of the workforce is occurring.

    Unless, every single department citywide is actively pursuing the use of volunteers as a genuine part of the workforce (i.e. direct substitution for a career worker), the introduction of volunteers into a career fire department in this kind of situation is disingenuous.


  2. #22
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Now when you say "backed up", what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about a manpower pool that gets called out to assist with larger incidents, a manpower pool that provides additional on-duty, in-station staffing, both or something else?

    Legitimate question.

    I have seen volunteers in combo departments used as daily supplemental personnel on first out rigs, home response supplementing first-out rigs on certain calls, home response supplementing first out crews on all calls and as special call personnel supplementing the first-out crew on major or multiple incidents. Much of it depends on the in-house staffing, district size, training levels of the volunteers and how the department chooses to uses them.

    In our case, our volunteers ride out from the station and respond from home to all incidents. Our volunteers are trained to drive all apparatus (if they choose) and are certified at the same (or higher) firefighting and haz-mat levels than or career staff, if they choose to be. That is how the majority of the combo departments operate in this area.

    A few have them only respond on all fires, and one or two just on structure fires or multiple incidents.

    Unless, every single department citywide is actively pursuing the use of volunteers as a genuine part of the workforce (i.e. direct substitution for a career worker), the introduction of volunteers into a career fire department in this kind of situation is disingenuous.

    I agree with some of your points. However, my point is that you can't take a citizen off the street who wants to volunteer, and plug him into an administrative position in the city's finance office or an plans review position in the city engineer's office. Most of the admin jobs within the government require a specific level of specific training to accomplish.

    The fact is, a firefighting support position such as rehab, setting up lighting, repacking hose or other support tasks requires a minimum of training that can be quickly accomplished and frees up interior firefighters.

    Drivers/pump operators, tanker drivers and exterior firefighting personnel responsible for setting up ladders, setting up PPV fans and supporting interior operations can be taught in a slightly longer period of time.

    Obviously training interior personnel requires even longer, but they do not require a college degree or specialized higher-education training. The simple fact is many of the other city jobs we are discussing do. And the simple fact remains that there is a tradition of citizens being volunteer firefighters, and there is not a tradition of citizens being volunteer plans reviewers, as an example, though such a thing is not uncommon in very small communities.

    Again, there are volunteers, including ex-teachers in the schools. Volunteers running recreation programs and maintaining fields. Volunteers in the libraries. And yes, some communities do have volunteers in the Principal offices.

  3. #23
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    However, many on these forums see paid staff as the only way and only answer to deliver fire services. I would suspect that they would oppose a volunteer or reserve program at their department, and honestly, be quite nasty to those who volunteer and would be very uncooperative when asked (or ordered) to participate in training them.
    I don't believe that "paid staff" is the only way to provide fire services. I've seen and participated in some VFDs that were able to provide top notch services.

    However, I've also seen many more VFDs that were somewhat inconsistent in the delivery of their services in terms of response time, manpower, training levels, competence, etc. In pretty much all of those situations, a career staff would provide a better option for delivery of fire services if "cost" was not an issue.

    I am opposed to a "volunteer or reserve program" in my department, not because I'm anti-volunteer, but because we simply don't need it. We are a small city career department with limited on-duty staffing. We can handle about 90-95% of our calls with our on-duty staffing. When we have a larger scale incident, we callback our off-duty personnel which is essentially the same thing as having a "reserve/on-call" roster. It may cost a little more, but is much better operationally since there won't be the "problems" that can occur with someone who doesn't work regularly.

    If our callbacks aren't sufficient for the incident, then we utilize the VFDs that surround our city and they are all more than willing to answer the call for assistance. So, this would be essentially the same as having our own "volunteer" component, however it would come at no cost to us. No additional gear to buy, no training to provide, no insurance cost to cover them, etc.

    So pretty much the only thing that our own "volunteers" would enhance is the initial on scene staffing level at 5-10% of our incidents. Considering that we have some legitimate equipment needs to address (both replacement and acquisition wise) and are not making much progress getting those funded, any money to be spent on a volunteer component would be better spent at this time on our equipment needs.

  4. #24
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Now when you say "backed up", what exactly does that mean? Are you talking about a manpower pool that gets called out to assist with larger incidents, a manpower pool that provides additional on-duty, in-station staffing, both or something else?

    Legitimate question.

    I have seen volunteers in combo departments used as daily supplemental personnel on first out rigs, home response supplementing first-out rigs on certain calls, home response supplementing first out crews on all calls and as special call personnel supplementing the first-out crew on major or multiple incidents. Much of it depends on the in-house staffing, district size, training levels of the volunteers and how the department chooses to uses them.

    In our case, our volunteers ride out from the station and respond from home to all incidents. Our volunteers are trained to drive all apparatus (if they choose) and are certified at the same (or higher) firefighting and haz-mat levels than or career staff, if they choose to be. That is how the majority of the combo departments operate in this area.

    A few have them only respond on all fires, and one or two just on structure fires or multiple incidents.
    I wasn't asking what you've seen or what your department is doing. I asked what you specifically were envisioning with your statement.

    Additionally, based on the context of your statement, I'm assuming that we are talking about a career department with volunteers and not a volunteer department with some paid staffing.

    Unless, every single department citywide is actively pursuing the use of volunteers as a genuine part of the workforce (i.e. direct substitution for a career worker), the introduction of volunteers into a career fire department in this kind of situation is disingenuous.

    I agree with some of your points. However, my point is that you can't take a citizen off the street who wants to volunteer, and plug him into an administrative position in the city's finance office or an plans review position in the city engineer's office.
    You are partially correct in this. Obviously a person must be qualified/trained for whatever position they will fulfill as a volunteer. I'm not discussing the type of scenerio that you bring up any more than I would advocate for taking a citizen off the street and plug him into a Chief's or Company Officer position in the FD. However, it is possible that you could find someone with an accounting or small business background that has the necessary training/experience to fill that position. Probably more likely than finding someone in the community with experience as a Fire Chief.

    Most of the admin jobs within the government require a specific level of specific training to accomplish.
    All firefighting jobs "require a specific level of specific training to accomplish".

    The fact is, a firefighting support position such as rehab, setting up lighting, repacking hose or other support tasks requires a minimum of training that can be quickly accomplished and frees up interior firefighters.

    Drivers/pump operators, tanker drivers and exterior firefighting personnel responsible for setting up ladders, setting up PPV fans and supporting interior operations can be taught in a slightly longer period of time.
    I'm not discussing "support" positions for volunteering. I'm discussing "full-service firefighters" which is what you will find in a career fire department.

    Obviously training interior personnel requires even longer, but they do not require a college degree or specialized higher-education training. The simple fact is many of the other city jobs we are discussing do.
    You may be discussing the city jobs that need some form of higher education, however I'm not. I'm discussing city jobs in general and more specifically, it doesn't take much training to train somebody to cut grass, pick up garbage, shovel sidewalks, answer telephones, file paperwork, etc.

    And the simple fact remains that there is a tradition of citizens being volunteer firefighters, and there is not a tradition of citizens being volunteer plans reviewers, as an example, though such a thing is not uncommon in very small communities.
    Maybe in some cities. However, in my city (and many others), as an example, we have a tradition of citizens being paid firefighters.

    Again, there are volunteers, including ex-teachers in the schools. Volunteers running recreation programs and maintaining fields. Volunteers in the libraries. And yes, some communities do have volunteers in the Principal offices.
    You're mixing the issue again. We're discussing municipal jobs. Most of what you cite are not municipal jobs, at least in my area. The school district and libraries are separate entities from local government. Recreation programs and field maintenance are not necessarily functions of local government. So they are not good examples to use for comparison on this topic.

  5. #25
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Additionally, based on the context of your statement, I'm assuming that we are talking about a career department with volunteers and not a volunteer department with some paid staffing.

    Could be either way.

    We are a primarily volunteer department with some career staffing. The addition of one more person per shift in a couple of months will, unfortunately, tips the scales a little more towards career.

    The neighboring "city", which has less population than us and does 1/3 the runs volume, is primarily career with volunteers responding only to possible or reported structure and multiple or major incidents.

    I'm not discussing "support" positions for volunteering. I'm discussing "full-service firefighters" which is what you will find in a career fire department.


    Support and exterior firefighting positions free up the3 full-service firefighters for interior work, in a worse case scenario. Certainly down the line, I would expect some of the volunteers to be qualified as interior firefighters, but in the short-term, the new volunteers could be trained to support interior operations while receiving further training.

    Given the fact that a city cannot support the current staff of full-time firefighters and has to make cuts, which is a better scenario - 6 full-timers on their own or 6 full-timers with 8 or 9 exterior personnel (some of them working towards interior) and drivers supporting them?

    I am opposed to a "volunteer or reserve program" in my department, not because I'm anti-volunteer, but because we simply don't need it. We are a small city career department with limited on-duty staffing. We can handle about 90-95% of our calls with our on-duty staffing. When we have a larger scale incident, we callback our off-duty personnel which is essentially the same thing as having a "reserve/on-call" roster. It may cost a little more, but is much better operationally since there won't be the "problems" that can occur with someone who doesn't work regularly.

    You are better off than some. There are small career departments that may be facing being reduced to a handful, if that, per shift, without the outside volunteer resources to call. These are the departments that would probably benefit most from the development of a volunteer call or reserve force.

    The fact is there are small career departments that like yours, can handle most incidents with your on-duty force. The issue of callbacks v. internal volunteers could be debated for days without a conclusion.

    All firefighting jobs "require a specific level of specific training to accomplish".


    Don't disagree, but it's the level of training that could be debated.

    You're mixing the issue again. We're discussing municipal jobs. Most of what you cite are not municipal jobs, at least in my area. The school district and libraries are separate entities from local government. Recreation programs and field maintenance are not necessarily functions of local government. So they are not good examples to use for comparison on this topic.

    May be regional.

    Here, and in the north where i was from the schools were run by the government. Same with the libraries as well as parks and rec. In fact parks and rec usually fell under the Department of Public Works.

  6. #26
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Additionally, based on the context of your statement, I'm assuming that we are talking about a career department with volunteers and not a volunteer department with some paid staffing.

    Could be either way.
    No, not for the sake of this discussion. There IS a difference between the two.


    I'm not discussing "support" positions for volunteering. I'm discussing "full-service firefighters" which is what you will find in a career fire department.


    Support and exterior firefighting positions free up the3 full-service firefighters for interior work, in a worse case scenario. Certainly down the line, I would expect some of the volunteers to be qualified as interior firefighters, but in the short-term, the new volunteers could be trained to support interior operations while receiving further training.

    Given the fact that a city cannot support the current staff of full-time firefighters and has to make cuts, which is a better scenario - 6 full-timers on their own or 6 full-timers with 8 or 9 exterior personnel (some of them working towards interior) and drivers supporting them?
    I'd have to see who the "8 or 9 exterior personnel" are.

    I am opposed to a "volunteer or reserve program" in my department, not because I'm anti-volunteer, but because we simply don't need it. We are a small city career department with limited on-duty staffing. We can handle about 90-95% of our calls with our on-duty staffing. When we have a larger scale incident, we callback our off-duty personnel which is essentially the same thing as having a "reserve/on-call" roster. It may cost a little more, but is much better operationally since there won't be the "problems" that can occur with someone who doesn't work regularly.

    You are better off than some. There are small career departments that may be facing being reduced to a handful, if that, per shift, without the outside volunteer resources to call. These are the departments that would probably benefit most from the development of a volunteer call or reserve force.
    Maybe they could, but I think you may find that finding sufficient personnel to volunteer to be a problem.

  7. #27
    Forum Member L-Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    No, not for the sake of this discussion. There IS a difference between the two.



    I'd have to see who the "8 or 9 exterior personnel" are.



    Maybe they could, but I think you may find that finding sufficient personnel to volunteer to be a problem.
    For some departments having support personnel makes all the difference in the world.

    It looks like this dept in MO might need to find some good volunteers to make up the staffing gap.
    Bring enough hose.

  8. #28
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    No, not for the sake of this discussion. There IS a difference between the two.

    It sounds like this department would still be run and managed by the career staff. Would it be a bad thing if the volunteer staff, over time, took over the management of the department, and the career staff? Probably not. Certainly depending on the community, that shift could take place.

    We are just about the last combo department in our area to be run by a volunteer chief, and it still works fairly well. We have a Deputy Chief who manages the day-to-day operation, but the Chief still sets policy, develops goals and objectives, and handles major disciplinary issues, including issues with the career staff.

    Maybe they could, but I think you may find that finding sufficient personnel to volunteer to be a problem.

    Maybe.

    Maybe not.

    Develop a well-coordinated recruiting program Give them a reasonable a flexible training plan. Implement a set of incentives. Make them feel like a part of the department. Let the volunteers know that once the program matures there will be leadership positions available to them within the department. And make it clear to the career staff that this is now the direction the department is taking and being on-board is not an option.

    Assuming the demographics exist to provide a manpower pool, I'm willing to be it would work in most communities.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-08-2010 at 04:50 PM.

  9. #29
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,802

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Sounds like what is happening here, where as more career members are hired, the roles of the volunteers are diminished, and because of that, fewer of them volunteer.

    There are several combo departments here where the career staff is openly rude, and in a couple of cases hostile, to their volunteer force, and management does nothing about it. In at least one case, the Chief openly states that he wants to get rid of all his volunteers even though he currently has only 5 men a shift covering almost 2 square miles from 8 stations.

    Bottom line, I still contend that if a volunteer is compensated, to a limited extent, given the same training opportunities as the career staff, respected, and utilized as a first-line member of the team, a combo department can flourish and retain a solid group of volunteers.
    Or maybe modern life, with active children and two working parents doesn't leave a lot of time for volunteering. But Im sure its only the big bad paid guy, but you'd know since deep in the bayou Louisiana represents America.

    Even if the career guys are hostile, often its the fault of the top level administration that is volunteer and/or pro-volunteer and may cut the vollies too much slack or treat the paid guys like crap. You're right though, its always the evil paid guys.

    For most small and medium sized communities a strong call force is no longer an option. The funds simply do not exist to operate a department without such a force.
    what?!?

  10. #30
    Forum Member GTRider245's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Augusta,GA
    Posts
    3,056

    Default

    I have said this once and I will say it again. I am a proponent of volunteering, as I am both a career and volunteer firefighter. However, cutting paid positions and adding volunteers to make up the difference is a step in the wrong direction. Size of response area and call volume do no matter.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

    -Professional in Either Role-

    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

  11. #31
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I have said this once and I will say it again. I am a proponent of volunteering, as I am both a career and volunteer firefighter. However, cutting paid positions and adding volunteers to make up the difference is a step in the wrong direction. Size of response area and call volume do no matter.
    Then I take you, since you beleive that laying off paid staff and replacing them with volunteers is "going in the wrong direction" that paid staffing is somehow superior to volunteer staffing?

    Sorry, i don't agree. But you are entitled to your opinion.

  12. #32
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,562

    Default

    Or maybe modern life, with active children and two working parents doesn't leave a lot of time for volunteering. But Im sure its only the big bad paid guy, but you'd know since deep in the bayou Louisiana represents America.

    Then please tell me why there are well staffed volunteer fire departments throughout the country.

    The fact is in most communities, there are volunteers available, but the fire service isn't very good at recruiting or retaining them.

    We refuse to utilize incentive packages. We refuse to take college-level marketing courses to learn how to "sell" ourselves. We refuse to develop comprehensive recruiting programs rather than just throw up a few posters around town. We often refuse to offer flexible training programs rather than the once-a-week-Tuesday-night-training. We fail to tie into cooperative agreements with local child care centers.

    The fact is people still want to volunteer with the fire department, for any number of reasons (See Maslov). We just aren't very good at drawing them in and keeping them here.

    My last department in VT was pretty good at drawing people in and keeping them trained and active. My department here is also pretty good at doing that. We must have been and are just plain lucky.

  13. #33
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    Then please tell me why there are well staffed volunteer fire departments throughout the country.
    There are some well staffed VFDs, the vast majority of them are not.

    The fact is in most communities, there are volunteers available, but the fire service isn't very good at recruiting or retaining them.
    It's like getting minorities to sign up for career FD entrance exams... if they don't want to volunteer, you can't force them.

    We refuse to utilize incentive packages. We refuse to take college-level marketing courses to learn how to "sell" ourselves.
    Some VFD's can barely afford to put fuel in the rigs or maintain them and buy adequate gear for their personnel... how do you expect them to send people to college, and in some rural areas, the nearest college could be 100+ miles away... and the courses may only be offered once or twice a year.

    We refuse to develop comprehensive recruiting programs rather than just throw up a few posters around town. We often refuse to offer flexible training programs rather than the once-a-week-Tuesday-night-training. We fail to tie into cooperative agreements with local child care centers.
    It comes down to money. I have known FDs who try and recruit at open houses, rented portable signs and billboards, posted on their FD's signs at their stations taken ads in the local paper, even made announcements during Sunday services... and they may get a handful of prospective candidates.. who back out once they find out the requirements.

    Day care centers get big $$$ to watch and take care of children during regular business hours... asking them to stay open after hours will be costly.

    The fact is people still want to volunteer with the fire department, for any number of reasons (See Maslov). We just aren't very good at drawing them in and keeping them here.
    God.. I hate when Maslow gets mentioned (I had enough of Maslow's hierarchy of need questions on promotional exams.. and it has nothing to do with the job!). He only studied what he considered "exemplary people".. a true study would encompass all social strata.

    My last department in VT was pretty good at drawing people in and keeping them trained and active. My department here is also pretty good at doing that. We must have been and are just plain lucky.
    Yup...lucky.
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 08-08-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  14. #34
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    For some departments having support personnel makes all the difference in the world.
    For some departments having people that can actually fight fires and do whatever task is needed of them makes all the difference in the world.

  15. #35
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    No, not for the sake of this discussion. There IS a difference between the two.

    It sounds like this department would still be run and managed by the career staff. Would it be a bad thing if the volunteer staff, over time, took over the management of the department, and the career staff?
    Yes, it would be a bad thing. If a volunteer staffed/run department was such a viable option, then it probably would've happened a long time ago.

    We are just about the last combo department in our area to be run by a volunteer chief, and it still works fairly well. We have a Deputy Chief who manages the day-to-day operation, but the Chief still sets policy, develops goals and objectives, and handles major disciplinary issues, including issues with the career staff.
    By your own admissions, your department is predominately a volunteer fire department and supported by career staff. This is significantly different than having a career department and introducing volunteers into the mix (solely due to financial issues) and then turning over management responsibility of employees (career staff) to volunteer personnel.

    Maybe they could, but I think you may find that finding sufficient personnel to volunteer to be a problem.

    Maybe.

    Maybe not.

    Develop a well-coordinated recruiting program Give them a reasonable a flexible training plan. Implement a set of incentives. Make them feel like a part of the department. Let the volunteers know that once the program matures there will be leadership positions available to them within the department. And make it clear to the career staff that this is now the direction the department is taking and being on-board is not an option.

    Assuming the demographics exist to provide a manpower pool, I'm willing to be it would work in most communities.
    And exactly what "demographics" would that be?

    What would be your solution for the communities that don't have those necessary "demographics"?

  16. #36
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Then I take you, since you beleive that laying off paid staff and replacing them with volunteers is "going in the wrong direction" that paid staffing is somehow superior to volunteer staffing?
    Yes, in general it is. Having a well trained group of an appropriate number of firefighters on-duty/in-station 24/7/365 ready to respond immediately is clearly better than having a pool of personnel ranging from untrained to well trained who are typically "off-duty"/not in-station with no guarantee of who (or how fast they) will actually show up for a call.


    Now please don't confuse this with meaning that volunteers specifically can't provide adequate coverage. However, in my experiences, career staffing has been superior overall to the typical volunteer staffing I've seen.

  17. #37
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Then I take you, since you beleive that laying off paid staff and replacing them with volunteers is "going in the wrong direction" that paid staffing is somehow superior to volunteer staffing?
    Don't put words in the brother's mouth. He said nothing about superiority.

    As another two-hatter here on the boards, I have to agree with him. It's not a matter of who's staffing is "better," there are certain issues that arise when you try to replace career staff with volunteers.

    As another poster pointed out, it's far different talking about replacing career members with volunteers in a career department than it is a volunteer department with career support. They're two completely different situations, and until you've worked in a career department, it's hard to understand the differences.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  18. #38
    55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....
    Posts
    10,739

    Post Well...........

    Here's the way I see it...... There are several "Myths" out there that, if you successfully defeat them, will, and should, go away. "Volunteers don't have the Training that Paid Firefighters do" is one. Not only should Volunteers be well Trained, they can be with few problems, IF Management is willing to work WITH them...... "Volunteers Can't respond quick enough".... They can if they are in the Station. Duty Nights (and/or Days Too) Can fix that problem. In our situation, we do not depend on anyone coming from home since Traffic and Call Volume are Crazy. We put Apparatus on the Street in 1 Minute or less. "Our Call Volume is too much for Volunteers"..... Now There is a real wrong answer. My part of the World has Totally Volunteer Organizations that handle in excess of 10,000 Incidents annually........ "People just don't want to Volunteer any more".... Wrong Again. I know a Volunteer who drives over 80 miles to help out in a VFD....... Lotta bad info on Volunteering out there that shouldn't be allowed to continue....... Places that have Volunteer Problems should fix them, and sometimes looking in a Mirror is a good start......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

    IACOJ Budget Analyst

    I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

    www.gdvfd18.com

  19. #39
    MembersZone Subscriber Dickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    5,111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Here's the way I see it...... There are several "Myths" out there that, if you successfully defeat them, will, and should, go away. "Volunteers don't have the Training that Paid Firefighters do" is one. Not only should Volunteers be well Trained, they can be with few problems, IF Management is willing to work WITH them...... "Volunteers Can't respond quick enough".... They can if they are in the Station. Duty Nights (and/or Days Too) Can fix that problem. In our situation, we do not depend on anyone coming from home since Traffic and Call Volume are Crazy. We put Apparatus on the Street in 1 Minute or less. "Our Call Volume is too much for Volunteers"..... Now There is a real wrong answer. My part of the World has Totally Volunteer Organizations that handle in excess of 10,000 Incidents annually........ "People just don't want to Volunteer any more".... Wrong Again. I know a Volunteer who drives over 80 miles to help out in a VFD....... Lotta bad info on Volunteering out there that shouldn't be allowed to continue....... Places that have Volunteer Problems should fix them, and sometimes looking in a Mirror is a good start......
    Right on the money Harve!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

    IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

  20. #40
    Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,280

    Default

    Harve, if only there we more VFD's that had the call volume and budgets that yall do in PG, the recruitment and retention might not be as big an issue for many of the others of us.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Starke Fire Department
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 08-03-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 07:09 PM
  3. 2004 report by IAFC report on the volunteer fire service
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
  4. Leesburg Fla--Firefighters Take Issue with Cutbacks
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 03:39 PM
  5. Firefighters and City at Odds over Salary
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2002, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts