1. #51
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Yes, because when they are all that's left, and I'm lost inside a building with no air. Or, I am stuck inside inside pinned underneath a floor, they will be able to do as much for me as the ladies auxiliary.

    A fire scene is a dynamic situation, in which anything could and will happen. All people on that scene as a firefighter had sure as hell better be able to put a mask on and do firefighting work, otherwise they are useless.

    You claim to be about everyone going home; well, what about when your "non-interior" guys leave you to die, because having a beard was more important than having their mask fit properly, etc...

    Whatever; you're a joke.
    I'm sorry that your view of the world seems to be so narrow. For an experienced firefighter like yourself, I would think that you would understand the big picture, but you seem to not.

    I am in a rural community of 5K. Please tell me how I force personnel to all be interior qualified?

    Because if I do, and I tell them to hit the highway, I will have a department of about 10 people. Maybe.

    The fact is everyone can bring a skill to the table, and any department, with the exception of an all-career department that allows that skill to walk away are idiots. it's really that simple.

    As far as the guys inside, you call the next department over for RIT. It's honestly that simple. We do it all the time, especially in my volunteer department.

    You live in a world where you can tell people what to do because it's their job. We live in a world where we ask people for help and we take what skills they have and we use them to our best advantage.

    There are a lot of small career departments that may have to start living in the latter world if they want to keep providing services, unless of course, you know of a way yo start growing money.

    As far as claiming to be an expert about going home, I'm not, and never claimed to be. But I do know a thing or two about using the people around you and accepting their limitations.

  2. #52
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    And in your world citizens are probably paying through the nose for fire protection.
    About an average of a dollar a day per tax bill for full time Fire and EMS on the residential tax bill.

    Again, please explain to me why every responder on the fireground must ne (sic) interior qualified?

    So we reject the truck driver with tens of thousands of miles of driving experience because he doesn't want to go interior? We reject the person who may be in great shape but simply does not want to wear a mask but can raise ladders, lug fans and pull hose and work on water shuttles? We exclude the EMT that wants to work rehab, monitor vitals and fill bottles?
    When you have all exterior firefighters on scene with people trapped, do you tell them..
    a: they have to wait for interior qualified personnel to arrive.
    b: they're screwed.

    Sorry Gonzo, but your logic makes no sense to me.
    Yours logic defies logical explanantion.

    I guess those 3 or 4 guiys (sic) a shift are better left to working all alone that surrounded by a team with specific skills.
    We have a minimum of 10 firefighters and 3 line officers, with full staffing its 15 firefighters, 3 line officers plus the Deputy.

    I'd rather have 3 to 4 trained interior qualified personnel than a bunch of yardbirds...
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 08-09-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  3. #53
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    When you have all exterior firefighters on scene with people trapped, do you tell them..
    a: they have to wait for interior qualified personnel to arrive
    b: they're screwed.


    And given that we are discussing supplementing full-time personnel with a pool of volunteers, even if none of them become interior qualified, is that going to happen?

    Simply call for mutual aid to supplement the full-time interior and utilize the exterior folks to pump engines, establish water supply, ladder the structure, set up fans and perform rehab and bottle changing. How complicated is that?

    It's really simple - our exterior and support members support the full-time and volunteer interior members by doing all of the above.

    Have there been times when we have not had a sufficient number of interior personnel on scene for initial operations? No. For extended operations? Yes, and we simply called mutual aid and the problem was generally solved.

    Are there very rural departments that may show up with primarily or all exterior members? Sure as hell, yes. But that is a situation that simply cannot be prevented.

    Yours logic defies logical explanantion.


    You're right.

    Your logic where the best plan is to have 15 firefighters on scene is the most logical.

    My plan where I have 15 interior firefighter and 10 support and exterior personnel to take car of all the exterior tasks, leaving the 15 interior firefighters available to go interior and staff RIT, makes absolutely no sense. Silly me.

    You can't make someone do something they don't want to do in a volunteer organization. You can find a job or jobs that they can do and want to do.

  4. #54
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    We have a minimum of 10 firefighters and 3 line officers, with full staffing its 15 firefighters, 3 line officers plus the Deputy.

    I'd rather have 3 to 4 trained interior qualified personnel than a bunch of yardbirds...


    And what would you do if your staffing was cut in half tomorrow?

  5. #55
    Forum Member
    L-Webb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    519

    Default

    Chirp chirp
    Bring enough hose.

  6. #56
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default


    And what would you do if your staffing was cut in half tomorrow?
    Still doing the job we were sworn to do.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  7. #57
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by L-Webb View Post
    Ok I guess I did. Whats your point?
    That some departments choose to put personnel on the scene that can actually do the whole job rather than rolling the dice that enough people show up (and fast enough) with the necessary training for the tasks needed.

  8. #58
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    2,959

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Again, please explain to me why every responder on the fireground must ne interior qualified?

    So we reject the truck driver with tens of thousands of miles of driving experience because he doesn't want to go interior? We reject the person who may be in great shape but simply does not want to wear a mask but can raise ladders, lug fans and pull hose and work on water shuttles? We exclude the EMT that wants to work rehab, monitor vitals and fill bottles?

    Sorry Gonzo, but your logic makes no sense to me.
    Of course his logic doesn't make sense to you. I don't think you understand the discussion. For one, we aren't talking about your little corner of the world. Additionally, we aren't talking about volunteer departments with some paid staff. We aren't talking about departments that have been operating as a combination department for a long time. We are specifically talking about a career department whose staffing is being significantly cut and your naive belief that injecting volunteers into the mix is the "cure all" solution.

    We "reject" these "specialists" because they don't meet our operational needs. We want personnel that can be assigned to any task immediately rather than having to search the fire ground for the right "specialist" for the task. For us it's not a "hobby", it's a job. So we want personnel that can do the whole job, not just part of it.
    Last edited by FireMedic049; 08-10-2010 at 01:28 AM.

  9. #59
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    I don't even know where to start with this one.... I'll just throw out some random thoughts and anecdotes....

    A lot of good points have been raised on both sides and thats usually an indication that there is no one size fits all solution. What may work in Bossier Parish is not going to work everywhere and in some cases shouldn't even be tried.

    There is a small city department near me that cut career (union) staffing more than the department in the OP (by 2/3!) and they are trying to add volunteers to supplement staffing. It is not going well. Recruitment is slow and training is even slower. I'm a volunteer and fully support the volunteer fire service however I believe that cutting career positions and trying to cover with additional volunteers is probably not going to work in most places. Working the other way, adding career staff to primarily volunteer depts works initially but I believe its a slippery slope, its the first step that can lead to the elimination of the volunteers. It's happened and continues to happen here.

    Departments seem to work best when they are either all career or all volunteer. There seems to be a lot of in-fighting in combo depts. In fact there are combo depts in my county I wouldn't even consider joining as a volunteer. Some say that every firefighter should be trained to do any job on the fire ground, I agree to some extent but what about when a combo dept doesn't even allow its volunteers to train to the same level? No driving/pumping? No interior? Can't even ride specific trucks? Or even call them firefighters! You're not going to have an effective volunteer force for long in that situation. Unless of course that's your goal.

    With all that being said, if it serves the community better to have career/union FFs then I am all for it, 100%. Even as a proponent of the volunteer fire service I generally oppose cuts to career staffing.

  10. #60
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    I fully agree that combo departments can be problematic.

    And yes, even we have our career-volunteer issues now and then, but by and large they are minor and get worked out. Several of the combo departments have had problems that have not been so minor, and have not been worked out. In most of the departments, that has lead to bad feelings on both sides, with a desinigration of the volunteer-career relations, resulting in a significant decrease in volunteer participation. In at least a few of the cases, the leadership has made no effort to do anything about the situation, and in at least one case, the Chief has openly stated that he has had the goal of eliminating the volunteers since taking over the department several years ago. Currently he cover over 220 square miles from 7 stations with 5 personnel a shift and a few volunteers that refuse to leave.

    The major issue when you intergrate volunteers into a career department is , IMO, the refusal of the career staff to accept the fact that the layoffs are, in almost all cases, permanent. There is always the hope that the laid off paid staff will return, and that is rarely the case.

    Given that reality, there are very few options. Volunteers in most communities can be recruited, however, that requires the accepatance of the paid staff and the full cooperation of the paid staff. There are often outside factors or groups that continue to stir the pot making this difficult. However, if both the offical and unoffical leaders within the department accept this as the solution, and accept the volunteers as members of the department rather than outsiders, or worse, the enemy, and work with the volunteers to train them and integrate them into the operation, this can happen.

    In some cases, the level of fire protection can actually improve, especially in departments that ran with fairly minimal staff. In other departments, the level of service may decrease, however, the decrease in servicwe may not be as significant if compared to the service levels that would have occured had the violunteer program not have been implemented.

    Volunteers in a combo department need to be given the opportunity to acheive the same level of training and have the same level of responsibility as the career members for this to be effective. This also includes the opportunity to attend the same outside training as the career firefighters. They need to have the ability to be promoted to meaningful officer positions with real responsibility. There are combo departments that do not allow this, which makes it difficuklt to motivate the volunteers to acheive.

    Again, what other solutions are available besides putting a significant added burden on neighboring career or volunteer departments due to increased needs for mutual aid assistance?

  11. #61
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    497

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    When you have all exterior firefighters on scene with people trapped, do you tell them..
    a: they have to wait for interior qualified personnel to arrive.
    b: they're screwed.
    I am sorry but I do have to comment on this one....

    First - the background. Due to shrinking moneys pools and mismanagement of resources, you are losing a career force. This is the first negative and with few exceptions, it is a negative.

    Now, you are faced with a situation. You have more needs than your manpower allows. You can either try to make this up with volunteers, paid on call or some other derivitive or simply roll with less people.

    Now - back to your specific example. The answer is phrased like this:

    a) if I use people who cannot for some reason operate interior on a structure fire, then yes the people trapped have to wait. There may be things the people can do onscene to help but it is not the same as having people who can do interior firefighting on scene.

    b) If I require only 'fully' qualified people, the answer is they still wait, and what's worse, there is NO person on scene to render any kind of assistance, size up, information or what not. This is the 'We called and they didn't come' option (or 'We called and they didn't come in time')

    Is either good - no. I do see the arguement for having people who can provide assistance (think water shuttles/rehab/engineers) even if they cannot for some reason go interior. At this point the question is "Is it better to have someone with a limited skillset or to not have someone at all".

    Unfortuneately, this is a fiscal reality for many areas. The tax base simply is not there to support the larger career dept. You may ask the question then of whether its better to have a significantly understaffed career only dept or try a combo dept option or cut the entire dept and go to volunteer only?

    I believe the career side (or at least 24x7x365 staffed) FD's provide generally the best service, they also are only really feasible finanacially in the urban areas.

  12. #62
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I'm sorry that your view of the world seems to be so narrow.

    My ďviewĒ of the world is not narrow at all. However, it still takes people in gear, with masks to stretch hose, force doors, place ladders and drag victims out. No matter where you are and who you are, if you are doing this job, those facts do not change.
    The only narrow mindedness in this topic is yours. That and you're too sold on your anti-career/union stance to even think with any semblance of logic.


    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I am in a rural community of 5K. Please tell me how I force personnel to all be interior qualified?
    Itís really simple, you make them. The department runs the show and is bigger than a single individual. Having under-qualified people on the rig, no matter the reason, sells everyone else short.



    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    The fact is everyone can bring a skill to the table, and any department, with the exception of an all-career department that allows that skill to walk away are idiots. it's really that simple.
    No argument. Then make them understand why it is important to wear a mask and teach them how to put up ladders, and search, etcÖ make them understand that people can become trapped in structures and everyone on that rig needs to be able work on a fire ground. This isnít a hobby; well, at least it isnít supposed to be. Guys are killed doing this job. If they donít want to worry about going into an incident, use their skills to rebuild your engine house, or do repair work around the station, etcÖ We donít let the ladies auxiliary show up at a fire scene on a rig, why would we let anyone else who isnít able to be a firefighter?




    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As far as the guys inside, you call the next department over for RIT. It's honestly that simple. We do it all the time, especially in my volunteer department.
    Thatís great, but you again are showing your ignorance. Thinking like that is dangerous and shows you really just pay lip service to fire ground survival.

    So you are waiting for RIT from another county, or where ever; what happens when your initial attack line makes entry thru a door and those guys fall into the basement, which is on fire? You have fifty people there, but the only ones who are ďinteriorĒ are the ones who just went thru the floor and maybe a couple of others. What are you going to do with all of the guys who would rather wear a beard than a mask? And donít go giving me some song and dance about how it wonít happen here, we have enough people, because as long as you have volunteers and you have people who are exterior only, it could happen, and it will when you have almost no resources available.

    Sorry, youíre setting yourself up for a very bad scenario. Besides, if you have ever had to remove trapped or injured firefighters from a building, you yourself would realize just how labor intensive it is. You will never have enough people on scene. And weíre not even talking about the guys you will still need to maintain an attack on the fire, in order to help facilitate the removal.

    Sorry, if they canít perform all of the tasks on a fire ground, they donít really serve a purpose, other than to fill up space.




    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    As far as claiming to be an expert about going home, I'm not, and never claimed to be. But I do know a thing or two about using the people around you and accepting their limitations.
    Well, one things for certain; you surely do know how to limit your people around you.

  13. #63
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    You are enticing people to perform a job through (meager) compensation. I stand by my earlier statement. Those volunteers are just a much cheaper paid staff, in union terms, scabs. It's like the difference between an escort and a street prostitute. They both do the same job, but one of them does it for a whole lot less!

    We are asking people to perform a community service and we are providing recognition and a slight reward for the time they put in.

    Amazing.

    This has nothing to do with a job. it is a hobby. yes, I used the dirty little word. Folks do this because they enjoy it. because they want a challenge. Because they enjoy the social aspect of the volunteer fire department. Because they have played on a team, and want to play on a team once again.

    And in most cases, they put in many hours and deserve something for their volunteer efforts.

    If you consider volunteers scabs, you must be drinking that union kool-aid by the gallon. And people wonder why have such disdain for the IAFF and career firefighters that walk the union line.

    My suggestion, especially in these tough economic times, is to stop financially compensating them. If they are doing it because they enjoy it and our deriving so many other less tangible benefits, then it would seem the compensation is unnecessary.
    Let me know how many you lose when you stop paying them? And let me know how many complain about losing their compensation?

    I don't consider volunteers scabs. I consider someone performing a service for far less compensation that others receive for providing that same service a scab. There is a clear distinction.

    Save the Parrish some money.

    BTW, ifirefighting is not a hobby. If they need a hobby, try stamp collecting.

  14. #64
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    So you are waiting for RIT from another county, or where ever; what happens when your initial attack line makes entry thru a door and those guys fall into the basement, which is on fire? You have fifty people there, but the only ones who are “interior” are the ones who just went thru the floor and maybe a couple of others. What are you going to do with all of the guys who would rather wear a beard than a mask? And don’t go giving me some song and dance about how it won’t happen here, we have enough people, because as long as you have volunteers and you have people who are exterior only, it could happen, and it will when you have almost no resources available

    Closest mutual aid is about 10 minutes out.

    Department after that is another 10 or so.

    Let's do the math: on average we have about 15 firefighters, 3 exterior members, 3 juniors and 2 support personnel respond. Does that vary somewhat based on time of day? Yes. But given that we have only 8 exterior and 6 support members out of a fireground roster of 70, the proportions remain the same.

    Sorta tough to tell the 55 year old truck driver he has to go interior. Same with the support people who have a collection of medical issues that would make the interior a bad place to be.

    Bottom line a VFD is a collection of people with a very wide range of capabilities. You simply cannot force someone to be interior if they don't want to or can't be. You use them as thier abilities permit and if you need to supplement interior you call mutual aid early or dispatch them as auto-aid.

    Well, one things for certain; you surely do know how to limit your people around you.

    I work within thier limits.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-10-2010 at 04:34 PM.

  15. #65
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MBarnes View Post
    My suggestion, especially in these tough economic times, is to stop financially compensating them. If they are doing it because they enjoy it and our deriving so many other less tangible benefits, then it would seem the compensation is unnecessary.
    Let me know how many you lose when you stop paying them? And let me know how many complain about losing their compensation?

    I don't consider volunteers scabs. I consider someone performing a service for far less compensation that others receive for providing that same service a scab. There is a clear distinction.

    Save the Parrish some money.

    BTW, ifirefighting is not a hobby. If they need a hobby, try stamp collecting.

    Actually our budget has increased quite a bit in the last 5 years and continues to do so. The economy here is very good and our district is expanding with new home starts.

    We have replaced 5 vehicles in the past 2 years and are adding 3 positions this year, unfortunatly.

    There is nothing wrong with slightly compensating members for fuel, ruined clothes and time. Nothing wrong with the department sponsoring family social events. Nothing wrong with sending members to out of town fire deparment conferences and training as a reward for respose or training attendence. And yes, many would do it without compensation. I did for many of my 30 years, except when I was paid on call. But there is certainly nothing wrong with using it as a motivation, especially when you consider we spend less than 1K per year per member and compare it with a firefighter salery and benefit package.

  16. #66
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The nots so new FNG View Post
    I am sorry but I do have to comment on this one....

    First - the background. Due to shrinking moneys pools and mismanagement of resources, you are losing a career force. This is the first negative and with few exceptions, it is a negative.

    Now, you are faced with a situation. You have more needs than your manpower allows. You can either try to make this up with volunteers, paid on call or some other derivitive or simply roll with less people.

    Now - back to your specific example. The answer is phrased like this:

    a) if I use people who cannot for some reason operate interior on a structure fire, then yes the people trapped have to wait. There may be things the people can do onscene to help but it is not the same as having people who can do interior firefighting on scene.

    b) If I require only 'fully' qualified people, the answer is they still wait, and what's worse, there is NO person on scene to render any kind of assistance, size up, information or what not. This is the 'We called and they didn't come' option (or 'We called and they didn't come in time')

    Is either good - no. I do see the arguement for having people who can provide assistance (think water shuttles/rehab/engineers) even if they cannot for some reason go interior. At this point the question is "Is it better to have someone with a limited skillset or to not have someone at all".

    Unfortuneately, this is a fiscal reality for many areas. The tax base simply is not there to support the larger career dept. You may ask the question then of whether its better to have a significantly understaffed career only dept or try a combo dept option or cut the entire dept and go to volunteer only?

    I believe the career side (or at least 24x7x365 staffed) FD's provide generally the best service, they also are only really feasible finanacially in the urban areas.
    The solution to this problem is to train everyone to the firefighter 1-2 standard... no exceptions.

    Many volunteer FD's do this with no problem at all.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  17. #67
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    The solution to this problem is to train everyone to the firefighter 1-2 standard... no exceptions.

    Many volunteer FD's do this with no problem at all.
    Actually, the real solution would be to ban LaFireMoron.

  18. #68
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    I hate the term "interior" firefighter - you are either a fireman or you are not.
    If you cant perform all duties on the fireground - then you need to quit giving the citizens a false sense of security. I agree some people are better at some tasks than others , but you should be given your assingment on your ability to excell at that particular job , not your inability to do others. Nothing wrong with being the "go to guy" on the pumps, but you should be able to do a decent job on the nozzle or throw a ladder. Same goes for the roof squirrel, there may come a time when he has to pump the engine. He should be able to do an adequate job, not say ---"im a vent monkey -sorry"

  19. #69
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    Itís really simple, you make them. The department runs the show and is bigger than a single individual. Having under-qualified people on the rig, no matter the reason, sells everyone else short.
    That's easy to say if you have a ready pool of folks who can. Out of the 1500 accountability tags issued by our county fire coordinator's office (they handle it so we have consistency), about 400 carry the "interior" label. That works out to an average of about 10 fully qualified interior FF's per department. Some have many more, some have less.

    I figure that there are about 200 or so folks who are not interior qualified but are still very capable of providing a vital service - ie, apparatus driver/operator. That gives us around 600 of the 1500 who are truly front-line firefighters. The rest fall into a variety of roles, from fire police to scene support (rehab, etc) to why-do-they-even-have-a-tag-because-we-never-see-them-on-the-scene-anyhow.

    I'll be 60 in October. I probably shouldn't be doing any interior work. But I'm probably one of our best pump operators and I'm usually one of the first in the door when the tones drop. There are many others in a similar boat.

    Given the state of the volunteer fire service these days, if I can free up someone to fight fire while I concentrate on keeping them in water, I'm just as valuable as they are.

    That said - you're right. There shouldn't be anybody on the truck who isn't going to help do the job that needs to be done.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

  20. #70
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,327

    Default

    Trust me when I say that if we had enough people beating down the door to join that we could require Firefighter 1 & 2 to be a member, we'd do it tomorrow. It just isn't realistic in some of the rural areas, folks.

    Yes, I am sure that there are rural VFD's in some areas that have met this with success. I challenge you that they're the exception, not the rule.

    I'm not naive to the fact that we have members who serve primarily in support roles who might be outside, but if I get in trouble inside, they'd die trying to get me out. It's a chance I'm willing to take when I fight fire out here in the sticks.

    Yes, I know what I'm about to say has been hashed and re-hashed on here a million times, but it flat ****es me off when the guys on the job want to bash the VFD's who are doing the best they can with the personnel and resources they have.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  21. #71
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Yes, I know what I'm about to say has been hashed and re-hashed on here a million times, but it flat ****es me off when the guys on the job want to bash the VFD's who are doing the best they can with the personnel and resources they have.

    Here's a challenge for you, and I point your post out because I'm sure you are talking about me, at least somewhat. Go back in my posts and show me where I differentiated or mentioned anything remotely close to volunteer and career departments. Please, show me where I did that. I was under the impression I was talking about firefighters.

    You want to do the best you can, you make damn f*cking sure you are able to rescue your brothers if they become trapped, lost or otherwise injured while fighting a fire. Just don't try and tell me we can put people on a rig, who won't go inside a structure and tell me we're good.

    Whatever.

  22. #72
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bossier Parrish, Louisiana
    Posts
    10,630

    Default

    That said - you're right. There shouldn't be anybody on the truck who isn't going to help do the job that needs to be done.

    The difference is in your world jasper and Gonzo, you expect them to be able everything because they attended a 16 or 18-week academy on the taxpayers dime.

    Here, that's not the case and never will be. With the exception of the two cities, every career member in every combo department has taken every class they have on thier own time over a period of years.

    Some of the volunteers have done that, but most have not simply because they don't have the time - it's called working a job.

    We don't have the expectation that a firefighter in our world knows it all. We simply have the expectation that they will respond to do what they know how to do.

    And yes, they are still firefighters in every sense of the word.

    But back to the original topic - What do you recommend for this city if the idea of developing a call or volunteer force is so unworkable?
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-10-2010 at 10:00 PM.

  23. #73
    the 4-1-4
    Jasper 45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    ...A great place, on a Great Lake
    Posts
    2,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    That said - you're right. There shouldn't be anybody on the truck who isn't going to help do the job that needs to be done.

    The difference is in your world jasper and Gonzo, you expect them to be able everything because they attended a 16 or 18-week academy on the taxpayers dime.

    Here, that's not the case and never will be. With the exception of the two cities, every career member in every combo department has taken every class they have on thier own time over a period of years.

    Some of the volunteers have done that, but most have not simply because they don't have the time - it's called working a job.

    We don't have the expectation that a firefighter in our world knows it all. We simply have the expectation that they will respond to do what they know how to do.

    And yes, they are still firefighters in every sense of the word.

    But back to the original topic - What do you recommend for this city if the idea of developing a call or volunteer force is so unworkable?

    You see, you continue to show why you can't be taken serious, virtually every time you post.
    You see, in my "world" as you oh, so delicately put it, yes, we have a recruit training facility in which we teach everyone how to do our job. But, also in my world, my brothers (family, actual blood) are firefighters for other jobs in the area. Smaller, in the metro area with no bonafide recruit training school. What that means is that for them to be hired with their respective departments, they started out as volunteers. Both of them had no option about what their training would be in order to be a firefighter. They did it on their "time", although the taxpayers paid for their training. GFY.
    Their respective departments, which are volunteer under your description, required quite the training regimen in order to ride their rigs, including EMT within one year.
    They can do it, whats the problem?

    So take your attitude and stick it. It's more than just a little tiring.

  24. #74
    Forum Member
    DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

    The difference is in your world jasper and Gonzo, you expect them to be able everything because they attended a 16 or 18-week academy on the taxpayers dime.
    Funny... my son, who recently got appointed to a combo department in a wealthy community west of Boston has been volunteering 40 hours a month. They have been training him in basic fire operations and he has been responding to calls on his tours... and will be attending a 6 month long call/volunteer program starting in September (2 nights a week and every Saturday) while holding down a full time job. That training is also financed on "the taxpayer's dime".

    They come out with firefighter 1-2 certifications.... and guess what.. some of the firefighters the call/vol program has trained come from the rural parts of the State, with no high rises, hydrants or sprinkler systems... but they know what to do if they get activated for a task force and go mutual aid into the "big city" or points elsewhere....

    By the way.. the class he is in will be the 33rd call/volunteer class that the Academy has put on... and they have been done all over the state.. from the Berkshires to the Cape and everywhere in between with the burn days being done at the Academy's facility in Stow.

    He can go on the payroll on his FD as a part timer working shifts when he graduates... and I plan on giving him my N6A leather lid as a graduation gift.

    Here, that's not the case and never will be. With the exception of the two cities, every career member in every combo department has taken every class they have on thier own time over a period of years.
    I have attended plenty of seminars and training on my own time too.. and I work an average of 70 hours a week between the firehouse, the Academy, the ambo service and my own business...last week was a 90 hour week ( don't worry, I'll sleep when I'm dead... )

    Many other career firefighters take part in fire training on their own time, with the only compensation being the knowledge that helps them do the job, the skills that can save their lives and the lives of those they swore to serve and protect.

    Some of the volunteers have done that, but most have not simply because they don't have the time - it's called working a job.
    See my post about my kid above. He works full time plus gets called in for emergencies when he is on call.

    We don't have the expectation that a firefighter in our world knows it all. We simply have the expectation that they will respond to do what they know how to do.
    You have very low expectations of your personnel...

    And yes, they are still firefighters in every sense of the word.
    Negatory. They are merely wearing gear playing firefighter.

    But back to the original topic - What do you recommend for this city if the idea of developing a call or volunteer force is so unworkable?
    The Brothers will continue to do the job on a smaller scale.. when the taxpayers start complaining about response times, fires and losses... they are to blame for not funding the FD.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

  25. #75
    MembersZone Subscriber
    tree68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Jefferson County, NY USA
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    Part of the training issue for us is that NY has gone through several iterations of basic firefighter training.

    When I joined up, "Essentials of Firefighting," all 39 hours of it, was all you needed to do your thing. There were other courses (I hesitate to call them "advanced"), but it was pretty well accepted that if you had Essentials, you were all set.

    Some years later the initial course became "Basic Firefighter," with "Intermediate" and "Advanced" if you chose to advance. Some did, some didn't. Sometimes they had trouble filling the secondary classes. Some of us "old guys" just weren't up to keeping up with the kids. Maybe we could have gone back and worked our way through, but as mentioned, there are priorities, too. And we'd had Essentials...

    Now they offer FF1 (over 100 hours - twice a week and a lot of Saturdays) and FF2. Still, for those folks who simply won't be going interior, they offer "Scene Support Operations," which is really just Essentials, minus the air packs...

    One oft-cited issue with recruitment is that 100+ hours. I don't question for a moment that a new FF needs every minute of it, but it is a huge time commitment that some people just can't surmount. So we get them with plenty of enthusiasm and lose them when they can't follow through.

    We also have a very limited outlet for trained FFs. Of the two career FD's in the immediate area, one is federal, and the other a small city. Neither sees a lot of turnover. So we get trained, enthusiastic youngsters who are in departments seeing maybe 100 calls a year, and zero other chances to use their skills (training/drill notwithstanding).
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

    Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Starke Fire Department
    By captstanm1 in forum Florida
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 03:26 PM
  2. World Of Fire Report: 08-03-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 07:09 PM
  3. 2004 report by IAFC report on the volunteer fire service
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2004, 09:55 AM
  4. Leesburg Fla--Firefighters Take Issue with Cutbacks
    By captstanm1 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2003, 03:39 PM
  5. Firefighters and City at Odds over Salary
    By captstanm1 in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2002, 11:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register