Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    I believe I asked this before, or something close to it, but you never answered. What is the compensation threshold in which one moves from the "volunteer" category to the "paid" category? At what $$ amount per hour or per call does a person become a "paid firefighter"?

Reasonable question.

I would define a paid firefighter as someone who makes enough to support their basic needs. Basically their primary income via a regular paycheck, including seasonals such as wildland firefighters.

This does not include POC as their checks are usually irregular, often below minimum wage, depending on run volume, and most often supplement a primary non-firefighting income.

POCs that make $10-12 or more are debatable.
    Since I asked a "reasonable question", I think I should've gotten a reasonable answer to that question. You pretty much dodged actually answering it with this ambiguous response.

So using your definition, my department's part-time FFs appear to not be "paid firefighters" since they don't make enough to support their (and family's) "basic needs" and for most it's not their "primary income" even though they do get a regular paycheck and paid an hourly rate above $12. Interesting.

What you are describing for the most part is also known as a "career firefighter". "Career firefighters" make a living with the job. "Paid firefighters" get paid to do or for doing the job. Getting paid $5 per call doesn't qualify a person as a "volunteer", it just makes them an under-paid firefighter.

Forum Member

It's the obligation of the government to provide appropriate firefighting services at a reasonable cost.
    I fixed your statement for you.

If your original statement were true, we'd be seeing a lot of 1 fire truck volunteer FDs. After all, wouldn't that be the "lowest cost possible" firefighting services?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireMedic049 View Post
    I fixed your statement for you.

If your original statement were true, we'd be seeing a lot of 1 fire truck volunteer FDs. After all, wouldn't that be the "lowest cost possible" firefighting services?
    I like your statement, though "appropriate" leeaves a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.

Forum Member

I like your statement, though "appropriate" leeaves a lot of wiggle room for interpretation.
    Unlike yours which appears to only consider cost factors.

Thread Information