Forum Member

Hell if your going to do that just pull the main and all out of the ground break it in half and use it like a giant hose... Thats what I do
    Bring enough hose.

Forum Member

Default Water Supply for Fire Protection

The provider of the water supply (city water dept., private utility, etc.) must work with the FD to ensure the water supply is available for firefighting.

If the water provider is not playing nice and that water supply was part of the water supply grading for the last ISO rating inspection, explain to the water provider what could happen if ISO made a surprise inspection. Not having that water supply available for fire protection could result in a higher ISO rating. Explain how the insurance premiums for the community (especially commercial structures) can be raised higher and the water provider would be "responsible" to the community for the increased cost. Or should I say, their name will be written on the train wreck.

Also, if the water provider adds some type of locking device, ensure your automatic and mutual aid FD's know of the locking device and how to remove it.

On a hot day to avoid hydrant tampering and where there is no swimming pool, setting up a dump tank with water for the children to play in could be used. Having an adult present would be a must for safety reasons.

Forum Member

We do keep bolt cutters in our hydrant bags but they are more for those pesky chains that have been painted over so they won't let the cpas spin when you try to take it off. Or to remove the snow plow markers that get in the way of opening the valve. If I encountered a lock I would just funnel Chuck Norris and kick it so hard it shatters instantly.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoastFF View Post
    We do keep bolt cutters in our hydrant bags but they are more for those pesky chains that have been painted over so they won't let the caps spin when you try to take it off..
    Same here but kept in a compartment next to the pump panel. Don't have hydrant bags.

MembersZone Subscriber

Geez, I thought our department was an abnormality when it comes to hydrants. Our private water company here in town charges us a hydrant "rental" fee of $150,000 a year. When I've complained to the water board they say that if they didn't charge us they would have to add it to the ratepayer's bills. I've done the math, it would come out to a whopping additional 50 cents a month on their water bills. I would think most people wouldn't have a problem with that, but given that everyone seems to think they shouldn't have to pay anything additional for public safety, I'm probably way off.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yeah............

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Forget the bolt cutters. Take a HUX BAR and put it with the plug wrench and use the either end to rip the lock apart and then use the same tool to open the plug.

Either that or a Halligan.

A Little Voice from somewhere is telling me that you and I are the only ones on here that know what a Hux Bar is..........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    A Little Voice from somewhere is telling me that you and I are the only ones on here that know what a Hux Bar is..........

Harve, you are probably correct, again! It is also a great persuader bar for tight operating stems too.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Me too!

I'm a forcible entry tool collector. I have a Hux bar, two signed Hugh A. Halligan Bars, a block letter HALLIGAN bar, a Pro-Bar, a Detroit door opener, a Claw tool, a Pry Axe, and am looking for a Kelly tool to buy.

A long leverage hydrant tool is about the only good use for a Hux bar.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Uh Huh.........

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Harve, you are probably correct, again! It is also a great persuader bar for tight operating stems too.

Comes in handy when dealing with Beligerent People too!!.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIRE117 View Post

If the water provider is not playing nice and that water supply was part of the water supply grading for the last ISO rating inspection, explain to the water provider what could happen if ISO made a surprise inspection. Not having that water supply available for fire protection could result in a higher ISO rating. Explain how the insurance premiums for the community (especially commercial structures) can be raised higher and the water provider would be "responsible" to the community for the increased cost. Or should I say, their name will be written on the train wreck.
    I was involved (as a Technical Advisor) on a survey once where the Water Manager refused the ISO meeting on D-Day. The dept received a hand delivered letter about 1 hour into the survey advising them they no longer had access to the Water Supply. Anyone that has dealt with ISO knows the drill. When it is time to inspect and test the hydrants it is time to go.

The stall tactic was not successful as department members went to visit about the new water policy. The department made no progress and actually lost ground, which invokes the happy little window of time you get to try to fix your issue. At risk was PPC 6, moving to PPC 9. Did I mention the survey ended prematurely?

With the clock ticking, and no progress in resolving the issue, the Chief was instructed to make the issue public. He did a fine job of it. He basically put a short-to-the point message in the newspaper that read:

Your Homeowners Insurance is going to double when you renew your policy. You can visit with Joe Blow at the Water District if you have any questions. If he fails to resolve your concerns, please contact me.

Long story short... this did nothing to break the impasse and immediately ramped the issue up with the water guys threatening to sue. Fortunately, the Water District Election was a barn burner and a majority of the Board was tossed out including the Manager. A new agreement was signed the next day during an emergency meeting as the grownups took over control. Issue solved, all except the delay involved when the FD received their 4.

Lesson learned here... don't screw with the citizen's cash flow.

A hux bar is also a pretty good dislodger when it comes to water managers that have by some freak of nature, become entangled around a hydrant.
    Last edited by PaladinKnight; 08-13-2010 at 11:09 PM.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roykirk1989 View Post
    Geez, I thought our department was an abnormality when it comes to hydrants. Our private water company here in town charges us a hydrant "rental" fee of $150,000 a year. When I've complained to the water board they say that if they didn't charge us they would have to add it to the ratepayer's bills. I've done the math, it would come out to a whopping additional 50 cents a month on their water bills. I would think most people wouldn't have a problem with that, but given that everyone seems to think they shouldn't have to pay anything additional for public safety, I'm probably way off.
    If they are charging RENT,shouldn't THEY be shoveling 'em out? That's what I thought too,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AC1503 View Post
    I'm a forcible entry tool collector. I have a Hux bar, two signed Hugh A. Halligan Bars, a block letter HALLIGAN bar, a Pro-Bar, a Detroit door opener, a Claw tool, a Pry Axe, and am looking for a Kelly tool to buy.

A long leverage hydrant tool is about the only good use for a Hux bar.
    A DDO? Those are fun to use. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    All of our trucks have them!

Thread Information