1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default Aerial on the Illinois/Indiana Turnpikes?

    I will be transporting a 100' rear mount aerial from Minnesota to Ohio next week. I already know through experience that I will have to avoid the Ohio Turnpike because the truck will be overweight for 3 axles (special permit = $$$). Has anyone driven an aerial on I-94/90/80 recently through Illinois and Indiana? I have a route planned around the toll roads if necessary, but it does add a few miles to the trip. Thanks.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

  2. #2
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    I will be transporting a 100' rear mount aerial from Minnesota to Ohio next week. I already know through experience that I will have to avoid the Ohio Turnpike because the truck will be overweight for 3 axles (special permit = $$$). Has anyone driven an aerial on I-94/90/80 recently through Illinois and Indiana? I have a route planned around the toll roads if necessary, but it does add a few miles to the trip. Thanks.
    I ran into some of the same problems with a demo quint a couple of years ago. Indiana Toll Rd. only counts wheels. I believe the Illinois Tollway is the same. I had understood that when Ohio went to EZPass, they did away with weighing, but don't quote me.

    During my years of trucking and even now, I can run just about anywhere in Indiana and Ohio without using toll roads. Especially in Ohio, I know a large variety of alternate routes. Some are longer, some not. My experience in Minnesota and Wisconsin is limited, I haven't run them in years. But if you haven't planned them out, Wisconsin could be a concern.

    If I can help you with any of it, get back to me.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Unfortunately in Ohio, although the state started using EZPass last year, you still have to go through the old gates, which weighs the vehicle before letting you get on the Turnpike. I found that out while driving a mid mount aerial in May, "I cant let you get on this road," and had to go back into PA to find a detour. I have a couple of routes figured out for Illinois and Indiana, just in case.
    Last edited by firepiper1; 08-06-2010 at 11:10 PM.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    where are you going in Ohio ? Gonna be near Toledo ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    What part of IL are you going through? The scales on 80 near the Iowa border are closed due to construction last time I went through.

    I have some insight as to where you need to worry, but I'd want you to validate everything I told you...

    90 from Wisconsin/Illinois border through to 39 south has no scales. This could get you to 80 east. I'm trying to think what scales are that way. If you get down 90 to 39 in the Rockford area around a meal time, I'll buy you a bite to eat.
    Last edited by npfd801; 08-07-2010 at 01:39 AM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Posts
    92

    Default Don't take the chance. Buy a Permit!

    Its not the turnpikes you need to worry about.

    State troopers in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio will give you an overweight ticket AND operating without a permit if the apparatus is a demo or stock unit off the Interstate. If you get caught, you will have to go to an open scale for a weight check. Several hours in delay and fines!

    Also - do you have your log book up to date? That's right. If its a stock unit or demo, you are operating a commercial vehicle under the auspices of a company's DOT permit. Oh, no CDL? Park it. Pay the fine and get an authorized driver for the unit.

    If you are transporting a rig that is owned by a fire department AND you are their operator, you have no worries, they are exempt. You need a Bill of Lading to prove you are their transporter or agent as it lists the authorized drivers.

    Do not risk it. In Illinois, the fines for operating an overweight vehicle (more than 20,000 per axle) start at $1100 and keep going. And then they make you buy a permit for $45.

    The permits to run a rig through Illinois are only $45. You can get them online.
    Last edited by Hehateme; 08-07-2010 at 08:30 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Weruj1, yes. Will be coming through Toledo on Thursday sometime. npfd801, I am leaving Minneapolis and going the Milwaukee/Chicago route and heading south from there. Not sure how long or far I will drive the first day. Hehateme, I do have a CDL/Medical Card/Log book, and a badge..LOL. Thanks for your help guys.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    Piper check your email.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  9. #9
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    Weruj1, yes. Will be coming through Toledo on Thursday sometime. npfd801, I am leaving Minneapolis and going the Milwaukee/Chicago route and heading south from there. Not sure how long or far I will drive the first day. Hehateme, I do have a CDL/Medical Card/Log book, and a badge..LOL. Thanks for your help guys.
    Other than being 2-lane, 20's not bad running west of Toledo. I did it twice in the last couple of months. Pick it up at Angola. I'll be a couple of days ahead of you, but missing you by the width of Illinois.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Did you get a new truck? What are you picking up?

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post
    Did you get a new truck? What are you picking up?
    No new purchase here. I have been moving trucks for a couple of local apparatus dealers for the last few years. Have been to Maryland, Mississippi, PA, California, New York and New Jersey. Its not a bad part time gig. Sometimes its tough to find a hotel or restaurant parking lot that can handle larger apparatus though. This time I am bringing back a 100 foot rear mount stick.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Easton,Pa
    Posts
    368

    Default

    I assume you are picking it up from a manufacturer? If so they need to be providing you with all the documents required to transport their unit. I have driven 100' aerials through states where I even had to have an oversized sign on the front and the back of the truck.

    Just like hehateme says its not worth it, especially these days. Every fine is more money in the coffers, right!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Tim1118's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Personally, I wouldn't risk my CDL on something like this. Have the manufacturer of the truck get the permits. Yes, it can be expensive, but it will be even more expensive for you if you get caught. Badge may not get you out of anything if you get scooped up by someone who's not a fan of firefighters (everyone loves firefighters, right?).
    TruckCommittee.com

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim1118 View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't risk my CDL on something like this. Have the manufacturer of the truck get the permits.
    No worries. I have a truck route figured out that will keep me off of the toll roads and it only adds about 30 extra miles to my total trip.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

    Default

    I know of an instance where a manufactuer tried to run a 100' single rear axle aerial demo through Missouri without permits and got nailed. A $900 fine and the DOT made them flat bed the truck out of the state.

  16. #16
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    I know of an instance where a manufactuer tried to run a 100' single rear axle aerial demo through Missouri without permits and got nailed. A $900 fine and the DOT made them flat bed the truck out of the state.
    That's odd. I researched Missouri a couple of years ago and found out that fire apparatus, even as demos or vehicles being transited, delivered, etc. are exempt from everything in that state.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    That's odd. I researched Missouri a couple of years ago and found out that fire apparatus, even as demos or vehicles being transited, delivered, etc. are exempt from everything in that state.
    This was about 12 -13 years ago and I am only relaying what an aerial sales manager from one of the manufactuers told me. Maybe they have changed their laws since then?

  18. #18
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    This was about 12 -13 years ago and I am only relaying what an aerial sales manager from one of the manufactuers told me. Maybe they have changed their laws since then?
    I figured that happened awhile ago, dont know too many people who make single axle 100' aerials anymore. I did hear about one guy who got pulled over this year along the PA Turnpike. He didnt have a log book. They told him he had to park the truck for 10 hours and fined him $500. Luckily, he was able to get a ride home and they found another driver.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firepiper1 View Post
    I figured that happened awhile ago, dont know too many people who make single axle 100' aerials anymore. I did hear about one guy who got pulled over this year along the PA Turnpike. He didnt have a log book. They told him he had to park the truck for 10 hours and fined him $500. Luckily, he was able to get a ride home and they found another driver.
    In general and has been said here on several occasions, when moving apparatus that doesn't belong to a department (yet) I consider it to be another truck on the road and subject to the regs. I carry and maintain a log book. My CDL and physical are current. I even enter scales, although they almost always send me to the bypass lane if they have one. Except this past Monday, Carlock, Ill. eastbound I-74 kept me on the scale long enough to actually weigh the truck (an engine, no water, hose or tools).

    The reality is that many states have exceptions written into their laws and/or regulations. The trick is to find out who does and who doesn't. Of those who do, what are the exceptions?

    In one of my past lives I did quite a bit of truck permitting for a motor carrier. I did mostly regular legalization and some trip permitting. Using that background I can usually find someone in a state who SHOULD be able to answer a question, and ask the right question(s).

    My experience is that exceptions for fire apparatus, if they exist, are not something many people within a state's bureaucracy are up on. The questions don't come up to them very often, so they aren't usually well versed in the subject. Same goes for most commercial permit services.

    I'm sure there are a few services that are up on the subject because the driveaway carriers that service Pierce, KME and others who move lots of trucks do keep abreast and only get the permits that they actually need.

    A couple of summers ago when I spent a lot of time in a 75' demo quint, we did find a service that was pretty good, although the woman there who had the expertise has since moved on. I did a lot of my own research and if I found an exception that wasn't well known, I'd print it out and carry it along. That practice bailed me out a couple of times.

    The long and short of it is, if you don't know and can't find out, consider yourself to be just another truck on the road and act accordingly.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    npfd801's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Posts
    2,221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    In general and has been said here on several occasions, when moving apparatus that doesn't belong to a department (yet) I consider it to be another truck on the road and subject to the regs. I carry and maintain a log book. My CDL and physical are current. I even enter scales, although they almost always send me to the bypass lane if they have one. Except this past Monday, Carlock, Ill. eastbound I-74 kept me on the scale long enough to actually weigh the truck (an engine, no water, hose or tools).

    The reality is that many states have exceptions written into their laws and/or regulations. The trick is to find out who does and who doesn't. Of those who do, what are the exceptions?

    In one of my past lives I did quite a bit of truck permitting for a motor carrier. I did mostly regular legalization and some trip permitting. Using that background I can usually find someone in a state who SHOULD be able to answer a question, and ask the right question(s).

    My experience is that exceptions for fire apparatus, if they exist, are not something many people within a state's bureaucracy are up on. The questions don't come up to them very often, so they aren't usually well versed in the subject. Same goes for most commercial permit services.

    I'm sure there are a few services that are up on the subject because the driveaway carriers that service Pierce, KME and others who move lots of trucks do keep abreast and only get the permits that they actually need.

    A couple of summers ago when I spent a lot of time in a 75' demo quint, we did find a service that was pretty good, although the woman there who had the expertise has since moved on. I did a lot of my own research and if I found an exception that wasn't well known, I'd print it out and carry it along. That practice bailed me out a couple of times.

    The long and short of it is, if you don't know and can't find out, consider yourself to be just another truck on the road and act accordingly.
    Sam, I know I owe you a return phone call. Been busy and keep sidetracking myself.

    I also find it interesting how most of the scales and toll booths treat me like an inservice rig, when I clearly state I'm not. Most toll collectors look at me funny and wave me through though I insist I'm not hauling the rig for my fire department.

    I've only been stopped and weighed once, and that was just north of Springfield, IL. Every other scale just waves me through.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

  21. #21
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bryn Athyn, Pa.
    Posts
    1,624

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    Sam, I know I owe you a return phone call. Been busy and keep sidetracking myself.

    I also find it interesting how most of the scales and toll booths treat me like an inservice rig, when I clearly state I'm not. Most toll collectors look at me funny and wave me through though I insist I'm not hauling the rig for my fire department.

    I've only been stopped and weighed once, and that was just north of Springfield, IL. Every other scale just waves me through.
    Never argue with them. If they want to wave you through, say thank you and keep on truckin'. I crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge from Annapolis to Queen Anne's Co. once with the quint. The toll taker asked me what county I was from. I said "Carroll" and got waved on through (there is a Carroll Co. in Maryland).

    I'm home now. Good ride.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Weruj1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Location
    NW Ohio
    Posts
    7,857

    Default

    Piper ..........sorry I missed you today.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

  23. #23
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Feb 1999
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1 View Post
    Piper ..........sorry I missed you today.
    I went through the Toledo area around 4:30pm and had to keep moving along. Maybe on the next trip!
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. AERIAL Head to Head
    By SmealLadder1 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM
  2. Hi from the Aerial "training division"
    By SSIaerialmanTIM in forum Meet and Greet
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM
  3. Aerial Ladder Priority in '06?
    By firemakeith in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-18-2006, 12:35 AM
  4. Electrifying Aerial Experience
    By STATION2 in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-11-2004, 10:43 PM
  5. Aerial rescue
    By resqtek in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register