Thread: Smeal apparatus

Forum Member

Default Smeal apparatus

Anybody out there using Smeal? Our department has 5 new smeal/spartan engines. I think they are great. 4x4, 1000 gallon tank. 1500gpm pump. Inernal ladder and hard suction storage which means alot more compartment space, 900' of LDH, SCBA seats, they are all great trucks. 3 are mountain star 4x4 chassis and 2 are spartan 4x4 chassis. We also have three newer 2000 gallon 4x4 tenders from them! Just wondering what others experience was.

Forum Member

Mountain star?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireRescue61 View Post
    Mountain star?
    Used to be a Spartan chassis line before they went to only the Metrostar and Gladiator (and Furion too). I believe its what they called the 4x4 Metrostar. Now gone like the Diamond, Sierra (I think), Big Easy, Advantage etc.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pagosa947 View Post
    Anybody out there using Smeal? Our department has 5 new smeal/spartan engines. I think they are great. 4x4, 1000 gallon tank. 1500gpm pump. Inernal ladder and hard suction storage which means alot more compartment space, 900' of LDH, SCBA seats, they are all great trucks. 3 are mountain star 4x4 chassis and 2 are spartan 4x4 chassis. We also have three newer 2000 gallon 4x4 tenders from them! Just wondering what others experience was.
    I have been riding a Smeal pumper for the last 12 years. Quality & fire fighter friendly is how I describe them. The origional is a 1997 HME/Smeal 1250/750 that was replaced with a 2009 Sirius/Smeal 1500/1000/20 dealer demo. The HME had some minor chassis problems that were repaired by our dealer. So far, the only problem with our 2009 was a CAT dpf problem that was once again taken care of by our dealer. The 2009 has an overhead power ladder rack, internal hard suction storage, roll up doors, power hosebed covers, hydraulic 8 kw generator, UPF poly tanks & VMux.
    You park these 2 side by side and you can see the changes that have taken place (for the better).

Forum Member

You'll find alot of people like the Smeal products. Especially on the ladder side.

As for the service side, I'm on the spoiled side, being less than 50 miles away from them. But they have done great work, and done quickly.

The Spartan side is also a good choice. Good luck with them.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    You'll find alot of people like the Smeal products. Especially on the ladder side.

As for the service side, I'm on the spoiled side, being less than 50 miles away from them. But they have done great work, and done quickly.

The Spartan side is also a good choice. Good luck with them.

FM1
    I like the Smeal product line, I am also waiting to see how well there 100' aerial ladders hold up in New York City, all of the FDNY apparatus get a good beating !

MembersZone Subscriber

I drove a Smeal quint for 4 years and loved it. Best rig I have ever been on.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII
    I like the Smeal product line, I am also waiting to see how well there 100' aerial ladders hold up in New York City, all of the FDNY apparatus get a good beating !
    How many of them do they have, if they aren't in service yet??

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Thread Information