Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Class A/B Foam How Effective

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post

I disagree that the result of too low of pressure to the eductor is more foam being educted. It has been my experience that the exact opposite is true and generally too little pressure results in either too little foam or none at all being educted.
    Your experience and the laws of physics. I have been hearing this same misconception for nearly 40 years. Once I had to get a guy to stare at the hose on the pickup tube while I ran the throttle to prove it was wrong. As I increased the throttle nothing moved until I hit the magic number.

For best results it is 100psi for the eductor, 100psi for the nozzle (if you are using 100psi nozzles), and add the friction loss.
    Last edited by firepundit; 07-24-2012 at 10:41 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

16 Scott:

I'm not sure the issue is knockdown. We all should know that with flammable liquids fires, putting them out is one thing, keeping them out by maintaining a proper blanket is another. The amount of foam necessary must consider the persistence of the material you'e covering, and the size and depth of the spill. In some cases it may be better to have the flammable liquid burn then have an uncontrolled spill awaiting a ignition source.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    16 Scott:

I'm not sure the issue is knockdown. We all should know that with flammable liquids fires, putting them out is one thing, keeping them out by maintaining a proper blanket is another. The amount of foam necessary must consider the persistence of the material you'e covering, and the size and depth of the spill. In some cases it may be better to have the flammable liquid burn then have an uncontrolled spill awaiting a ignition source.
    Interesting idea, but seemingly irrelevant to the question asked by the OP. Of course there will always be scenarios where first repsonders are overwhelmed by the size/quantity of flammable liquids in relationship to the amount off foam on hand. I don't think anyone would argue the futility of attempting to extinguish the entire contents of a tractor trailer load of gasoline with the typical 20 or 30 gallons of class B/multi-agent foam on board an engine company.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 07-25-2012 at 04:30 PM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Since my original posts I have done a little research on some of these one size fits all "foam concentrates" thier test data is not aailable or from offshore testing labs. They seem to be emuslifiers and do not create a film to keep oxygen out of the fire tetrahedron. There are so many on the market I have only investigated the ones that my chief asks me to look at. Bottom line IMHO is show me your UL - NFPA - FAA - API - USCG - USFS approvals.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I just walked over to the apparatus bay and looked at a 5 gallon pail of FireAde and it has both UL and ULC labels on the bucket.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Thread Information