MembersZone Subscriber

Default NYPD becomes recruiting ground for JetBlue flight attendants

By Ben Mutzabaugh, USA TODAY

Don't be surprised if the flight attendant on your next JetBlue flight used to be a New York City police officer or fire fighter.

That's according to Scott McCartney, The Middle Seat columnist at The Wall Street Journal. He writes that "some airlines try to hire flight attendants who are young and attractive. JetBlue Airways has a type, too: cops and fire fighters."

McCartney says that JetBlue has hired "several hundred" New York City police officers and fire fighters since the carrier began flying a decade ago. "By some counts, 10% of its total cabin crew workforce of 2,400 has emergency response experience, though the airline doesn't have an exact number," McCartney adds.

So, what's the connection?

McCartney reports JetBlue's first class of flight attendants included a former New York City fire fighter. He writes that "to JetBlue, his focus on safety was appealing; his take-charge manner and calm under fire were crucial and his corny jokes and upbeat nature were infectious."

After that, McCartney says, JetBlue recruiters warmed to the idea of hiring workers who had a background in dealing with emergencies.

Certainly, New York City police officers and fire fighters fit that bill. Even better, they have experience dealing with the public, are used to working holidays and weekends and know "how to handle people in stressful situations and could take command of an aircraft cabin," McCartney writes.

Check out McCartney's full column for more background.

Posted Aug 5 2010 3:40PM
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Odd to see this posted about the same time as this story.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38642085...ers/?GT1=43001

I have to admit, what a way to quit your job, curse out the customer, grab a beer, and slide down a slide.

MembersZone Subscriber

It ranks right up there with the scene from "Halfbaked".

F... you, F... you, F....you, you are cool, F.... you, I'm out!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    It ranks right up there with the scene from "Halfbaked".

F... you, F... you, F....you, you are cool, F.... you, I'm out!
    Well,it beats how I quit one river job.
    The port captain and I were squared off,he had a sledge hammer,I had a fire axe and all we needed was someone to call the draw.(The statute of limitations has run out so no charges can be preferred by either of us)
    When I left,I drove to the nearest other harbor outfit in town and put in for a job there,got told where to go for the drug screen and physical and only after I'd clocked in the next day was anything asked about "Why were you and your last boss looking to fight?"
    You gotta love an industry where you can almost deck your boss,go practically next door and get another job with nothing being said about why you came to be needing a job.

Thread Information