Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by RidgeRunner78 View Post
    You may want to try doing the "rest step" also. I learned it while backpacking. As soon as you step up on the next step, lock your knee for as long as your foot is on the step. It takes the weight off your muscles and puts it on your leg bones for a second. That equals energy conservation.
    Ill be trying this tomorrow

Forum Member

Manofsteel - How did that tidbit help, the rest step?

Quote Originally Posted by sachse1 View Post
    Manofsteel - How did that tidbit help, the rest step?
    It actually went pretty well. At first I held it a little too long and almost fell off like a dumbass, then had to basically run to the top which was probably tiring me out. After I worked that out it held out well

Forum Member

MOS,

Is your CPAT graded as pass/fail? If you're in decent shape, you should do fine. However, sometimes tests need to be trained for specifically for that test. This is what I did preparing for the CPAT for about 6 weeks ( 3 X a week ): ( as a simulated CPAT at home )

1) - step-ups: starting with the left foot, step up on a step then step up with the right
    then down with the right and down with the left...then repeat starting with the right foot. I started with 90 steps each leg with 55lbs. on my back the 1st week, then progressing to stepping up 2 steps instead of 1 ( kind of like a lunge ) then on to doing 150 steps each leg with 75lbs.

*after stepups, walk around for 10 sec.

2) 25 squats with the 55lbs. on my back, then kneel down and do 30 pulls each arm on an exercise band wrapped around a bedpost. ( when I did this outside, I was able to run the length of my driveway and pull my charged garden hose )

*after "hosedrag" walk around 10 sec.

3)carry 2 40lb. DB's around for 30 sec.

*after "equipment carry" walk around 10 sec.

4) 25lb. DB presses - quickly - 12 reps each arm then immediately pull down with the exercise band 15 reps each hand.

*after "ladder raise & extension" walk around 10 sec.

5) with bike innertube wrapped around a 25lb. DB, secured to the bedpost, 15 swings.

*after "forcible entry" walk around 10 sec.

6) crawl on hands & knees with eyes closed for 30 sec.

*after "search" walk around 10 sec.

7) deadlift and hold for 40 sec. doing half-squats ( when I first did this, I put all my weights on the bed and lifted one end...outside I was able to have the barbell set with 165lbs. and walked with it...not the same as the dummy )

*after "dummy drag" walk around 10 sec.

8) holding 2 25lb. DB's end to end, thrust upward from the hip 5 times, then do 3 rope pullups...repeat 4 times. ( for this evolution, I removed my backpack with 35lbs. in it and only had on my 20lb. weight vest ).

*After "ceiling breach & pull", I would stretch, hydrate and continue on to do whatever workout planned for the day. By the end of 6 weeks, I was doing a 1.5 - 3 mile run before this "CPAT." A couple of times, I did this at the Y. The indoor track was convenient for the walk & run after the stepmill. Just keep at it and push yourself.

When is your CPAT? Don't wait to get the weights on too long...your back and balance needs to adjust to having the weight as well.

Hope this helps...
    J

I think it's about 10 weeks away now. I think I'm going to eb just fine. I'll start adding my 20 pound vest tomorrow and see how that goes.

Forum Member

Step wide and use the muscles in the upper part of your legs. And count to 190 when your doin it.

Forum Member

stop squatting 400lbs!

Forum Member

MOS,
    How did it go with the weight vest?

Thread Information