Forum Member

Default New to wildland have a few questions.

Hey all,
    First post of many I'm sure. So I just got my wildland gear last week and have a few questions. My dept. doesn't supply boots. What do you all recommend for a less expensive boot? I plan on getting some custom fitted ones down the road but will have to wait till funds allow so I need something to get me through this season.

Next what do you recommend for essential things in my pack? Around here its mostly brush not much forest if any. Weeds, grass, sage brush, etc.

Next. Physical conditioning? Really I don't know where to start, I'm in decent shape but still need conditioning.

Thanks in advance

Forum Member

How much wildland do you do? What is the terrain like?

My vfd doesn't do much since we are surrounded by federal agencies that do, so my leather structure boots work just fine.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RxFire View Post
    How much wildland do you do? What is the terrain like?

My vfd doesn't do much since we are surrounded by federal agencies that do, so my leather structure boots work just fine.
    The terrain is mountainous, rocky, brush usually with a lot of rattle snakes. We are considered a high desert. There is a lot of forest around us but unfortunately our dept. doesn't get to play there because its too far away. My structure boots are the big heavy rubber style so thats a no go for wild land. We do a little wild land with other dept's and do a lot of controlled burns for the local farmers.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    Hey all,
    First post of many I'm sure. So I just got my wildland gear last week and have a few questions. My dept. doesn't supply boots. What do you all recommend for a less expensive boot? I plan on getting some custom fitted ones down the road but will have to wait till funds allow so I need something to get me through this season.
    Boots are so important... lots to consider here. Try a bunch out. Also, you have to consider your budget.

I've worn RedWings and Whites. Either way, get Logger Boots and NO steel toe. No matter which boot you buy, break them in... don't break them in walking around your yard raking leaves, find some mountains, work some steep areas... really work em over. Also, I recommend wearing two pairs of socks, the socks will rub against each other and will help prevent blisters and also help to keep your feet drier.

My RedWings were easy to break in and are pretty comfy. I have had them repaired and love them. They are also a bit cheaper then most of the other names.

My Whites are heavier duty, took longer to break in, but are also really nice. These are probably my first choice.

However, I've heard a lot about the other brands out there and I would say there are a couple of other high quality choices. I'll let others comment with some first hand reviews.

Next what do you recommend for essential things in my pack? Around here its mostly brush not much forest if any. Weeds, grass, sage brush, etc.
    Pack... I keep a lot in my main pack, but may not always wear it if it's gonna be a small fire. I also have invested in a lot of extras that I won't list, but someday you'll probably want (Kestrel, GPS unit) etc.

Items for Pack (essential):
    Compass with signal mirror(know how to use it)
    Maps of your area (there are some good trail maps these days)
    Safety glasses
    Ear plugs
    Bandana or two
    T.P. (just enough to get you through a couple of "emergencies")
    Pen/Small Pad
    Tylenol, advil, Immodium, benadryl
    Take a pencil.. cut it down and wind on a few feet of duct tape
    Headlamp w/spare batteries
    Small first aid kit (bandaids, tape, saline eye drops, etc).
    Small poncho
    Watch cap
    Parachute cord (functions as back up boot laces and whatever else)
    Bic Lighter/waterproof matches (if you are the guy with the flame, you'll probably get to work the torch)
    Cheap sunglasses
    $20 bill (just in case you ran out without money in your wallet)
    1 roll of flagging
    Multi-tool like a leatherman
    Small sunscreen/insect repellant

Other Items (probably for longer duration pack):
    1 MRE (never know when you'll get caught) or at least a few powerbars/granola bars
    Hooded sweatshirt
    Spare socks (1 pair) you can rotate out the inner layer at least once then
    Moleskin/foot powder
    Extra leather gloves
    Reflective panel (to coordinate with helos etc)

Hmmm... I know i'm forgetting something.

Next. Physical conditioning? Really I don't know where to start, I'm in decent shape but still need conditioning.
    Amen to that.
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 08-14-2010 at 09:45 AM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

NIFC has a program called FireFit that has pre, during, and post fire season exercise programs and a lot of other fitness info.

http://www.nifc.gov/FireFit/index.htm

Forum Member

I'm new to firehouse.com and want to get into wildfire fighting anyhere in the rockies. Really new to this so i was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on what steps to take to become a wildfire firefighter and where to look?

Thread Information