Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: turnout gear

Forum Member

Default turnout gear

hello to all out there... just curious about how to clean turnout gear?? i have heard that it is imperative that i use a front load washer and that i need to allow them to air dry out of the sun (i.e. garage) ... but i do not know what type of degertent to use or where i can get it from. i am starting a juniour college academy soon and i just would like for me and my equipment to be at its best... i have done a complete inspection of it and there are no damage to them, but just curious guys and gals....

thanks in advance.

Forum Member

See below:

Here are the spec's that need to be followed for NFPA 1851:

Outer shell components SHALL be washed separate from liner components.

Machine capacity should not exceed 125lbs.

Mild detergents with a pH range of not less than 6.0 pH and not greater than 10.5 pH as indicated on the product MSDS or original product container shall be used. See link for examples of approved detergents.

http://www.totalfiregroup.com/1851/CleaningAgents.aspx

Chlorine bleach and chlorinated solvents shall never be used.

Water temperature shall not exceed 40°C (105°F).

Washing machine g-force shall not exceed 100 g.

MembersZone Subscriber

All you need is liquid tide for the detergent

DO NOT WASH IT AT YOUR HOME!!!

Separate the liner from the outer shell and close all zippers, hooks, snaps, buttons, velcro, etc.

The liner also needs to be washed separately from the outer shell.

Forum Member

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Forum Member

Exactly. Ive always been taught to use DAWN dishwashing liquid and cold water. Is there any type of cleaners or detergents sold directly for turnout gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Ashburn_2011 View Post
    Exactly. Ive always been taught to use DAWN dishwashing liquid and cold water. Is there any type of cleaners or detergents sold directly for turnout gear?
    Yup,there are SEVERAL. Do a search and they should pop right up. T.c.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDave View Post
    Take it to a Laundromat and take them all apart and just wash them in water 2 times and hang them to dry out of the sun. some of the stink will come off but it's the dirt that you need to get off. The dirt acts as an abrasive and breaks down the gear...…

-coloradodave
    you don't wash turn out gear in a washing machine used for clothes

ever.

that is completely ignorant and irresponsible.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Quote Originally Posted by jaydeeff1 View Post
    hello to all out there... just curious about how to clean turnout gear?? i have heard that it is imperative that i use a front load washer and that i need to allow them to air dry out of the sun (i.e. garage) ... but i do not know what type of degertent to use or where i can get it from. i am starting a juniour college academy soon and i just would like for me and my equipment to be at its best... i have done a complete inspection of it and there are no damage to them, but just curious guys and gals....

thanks in advance.
    The Official NFPA Answer is always follow the manufacturer's instructions for the care and maintenance of "fill in the blank"
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

I usually just go with mild dish soap, Dawn is what we use I think. Add that to a Bucket then add cool to warm water, usually whatever room temp is, that is what we get stuck with. Then get a stiff scrubbing brush (NOT WIRE) I think I have a brush that was for washing a car actually. Seperate the liners, hose out of the exteriors then scrub them with a brush hose off and repeat a few times, then we hang them up in bay and let them dry.

If you want to go the washer route listen previous posts. We do not do that ourselves but turn our gear in to officer and they send off to get cleaned any further than what I described.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaydeeff1 View Post

thanks in advance.
    You know those truck washing skills you have developed?
    well take apart your gear layber by layer and wash the outershell with the brush with mild soap (dawn dish washing) and cold water. soak, rinse soap, repeat. Now when you are finished with that, put the outer shell in the station washing machine, and do the same process with your thermal layer. hang gear up to air dry.

Thread Information