Thread: Engine Status

Forum Member

Default Engine Status

My department is in the meeting phases of consolidating with 3 smaller departments. One of these departments was awarded in 2007 a new engine thru AFG.

Questions
    1. If after a study is completed and it is determined that we no longer need this piece of equipment or the station it belongs in. How would that work or affect the award?

2. Would there be any effect on the award, if this piece of equipment remains with the newly organized department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peak85 View Post
    My department is in the meeting phases of consolidating with 3 smaller departments. One of these departments was awarded in 2007 a new engine thru AFG.

Questions
    1. If after a study is completed and it is determined that we no longer need this piece of equipment or the station it belongs in. How would that work or affect the award?

2. Would there be any effect on the award, if this piece of equipment remains with the newly organized department.
    My suggestion is to go right to the source about these questions. Give your Regional FPS a call with a follow up email (documentation) and discuss with them this situation to find out what the right course of action should be.

MembersZone Subscriber

Then again unless everything else you have is brand new why would you want to get rid of a practically new engine?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by WJVaughn View Post
    Then again unless everything else you have is brand new why would you want to get rid of a practically new engine?
    My thoughts exactly, unless they ares imply looking for a way to generate cash... hopefully that is not the case.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    My thoughts exactly, unless they ares imply looking for a way to generate cash... hopefully that is not the case.
    certainly sounds like it to me.
    Seeing how it's my tax dollars that payed for it , maybe the feds can take it back and give it to someone who really needs it. Someone that will appreciate a free engine to replace their 30 yo truck.

Forum Member

I did speak to our Regional FPS and got the information needed.

We are not looking to get rid of any pieces to generate $, but we are working on consolidating 4 departments to eliminate a lot of duplicated equipment in a small area. (Typical FDs in PA).
    The question did come up about all the AFG awarded equipment going to the new consolidated department. The reason I ask about that specific piece awarded thru AFG, is we believe after a study is complete it will recommend and show that station and equipment may not be needed. So I agree with your responses about our tax dollars paying for something that may not have been truly needed and the feds should research a little more before making awards.

Thanks guys

Forum Member

I did speak to our Regional FPS and got the information needed.

We are not looking to get rid of any pieces to generate $, but we are working on consolidating 4 departments to eliminate a lot of duplicated equipment in a small area. (Typical FDs in PA).
    The question did come up about all the AFG awarded equipment going to the new consolidated department. The reason I ask about that specific piece awarded thru AFG, is we believe after a study is complete it will recommend and show that station and equipment may not be needed. So I agree with your responses about our tax dollars paying for something that may not have been truly needed and the feds should research a little more before making awards.

Thanks guys
    How could the feds have been able to look into a crystal ball and see your consolidation four years in the future. Besides the research should probably have been done by the department that submitted the award in ('06) and just realized it would be best to donate it to a small department in Nebraska. Well watta ya know!

Forum Member

The consolidation has nothing to do with a department not needing $300K for a new piece when there are 9 engines all within 3 miles or less of each other? So like I said they probably should do some detailed research before awarding, so that the small Nebraska dept in need has a better chance of getting funded.

MembersZone Subscriber

So why not keep the AFG engine and get rid of the oldest engine at one of the other stations. If your consolidating it shouldn't matter which station it goes to.

Forum Member

Talking

The consolidation has nothing to do with a department not needing $300K for a new piece when there are 9 engines all within 3 miles or less of each other? So like I said they probably should do some detailed research before awarding, so that the small Nebraska dept in need has a better chance of getting funded.
    Take a Look at the apparatus awards list for PA every year. They top the nation every year in number of trucks & $$$$$$ awarded.
    This year is a bad one for PA ,they didn't break 40 million in AFG funds.
    Reason being ,small towns with 4 or 5 social clubs,err fire depts in an area the size of of a wallmart super store parking lot.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Take a Look at the apparatus awards list for PA every year. They top the nation every year in number of trucks & $$$$$$ awarded.
    This year is a bad one for PA ,they didn't break 40 million in AFG funds.
    Reason being ,small towns with 4 or 5 social clubs,err fire depts in an area the size of of a wallmart super store parking lot.
    Maybe they are finally checking a little further before awarding (good), and yes way to many walmart super store parking lot fire dept or clubs in PA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Out of curiosity, if this study shows the piece isn't needed, are you going to ask for the amount of the grant match (depreciated, of course) or for market value?

Let me know if you're going to ask for the amount they matched. (does that qualify as "dibs"?)

Thread Information