Thread: Waiting game

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Waiting game

Hey All,

I am awaiting the second packet and my passport after having my phone interview last week. They told me of a possible deploy date at the end of September or beginning of October and I was wondering if anyone else had insight on this? I am stoked for this experience and have been reading forums like crazy. I am wondering what the time line generally is because I would like to quit my job and go spend time with my family before I go. Any insight or feedback would be great. Thank you for your time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jskopow View Post
    Hey All,

I am awaiting the second packet and my passport after having my phone interview last week. They told me of a possible deploy date at the end of September or beginning of October and I was wondering if anyone else had insight on this? I am stoked for this experience and have been reading forums like crazy. I am wondering what the time line generally is because I would like to quit my job and go spend time with my family before I go. Any insight or feedback would be great. Thank you for your time.
    I received my phone interview Friday of last week, and I got the second packet this Tuesday. I too was told that my possible deployment date was the same time frame as you. When you get the second packet you have about a week from the deadline letter to get the admin forms filled out and turned in, and about 10 days from the deadline letter to get the physical done and sent back to them. Do yourself a favor and go get everything done for your passport now! I did mine last week and I got a call from the State Department Tuesday saying that I had to re-do the application, because when I printed out the application the bottom barcode was cut off. And when you go to pay for everything, remember the $25 processing fee is a separate fee from the cost of the passport, so either have the $25 in cash, or a separate money order, or just use your debit/ credit card. And make sure you have a money order or check for the fee for the passport, and most of all make sure it is expedited. Good luck Brother, hope to see you in Houston or out there!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Thanks Man hope to see you there too. I'm still waiting on that second packet, don't know where they are sending it from but I am on the west coast so maybe the snail mail is just taking awhile. Plan to hit the ground running as soon as I get it though. Applied for the passport last monday and had it expedited. I also wrote my congressman and requested assistance on his end of things to hurry it up, I read on a forum somewhere on here that going that route can really move things along. Does anyone have some price ranges that these physicals cost?

Forum Member

If u don't mind me asking What company are y'all going through.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VandalFF View Post
    Thanks Man hope to see you there too. I'm still waiting on that second packet, don't know where they are sending it from but I am on the west coast so maybe the snail mail is just taking awhile. Plan to hit the ground running as soon as I get it though. Applied for the passport last monday and had it expedited. I also wrote my congressman and requested assistance on his end of things to hurry it up, I read on a forum somewhere on here that going that route can really move things along. Does anyone have some price ranges that these physicals cost?
    It would be nice to see someone that I know, well kind of know. Where on the west coast are you from, Iím in Santa Barbara? I got the phone interview last Friday, the 6th, and I received the second packet Tuesday, the 10th. It was sent overnight FedEx from Arlington, Virginia. I am just wondering; why did you get your Congressman involved? What could he do? I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything. I am just curious. What all can he do to hurry things up? Good job getting your passport done early, its gona help you leave early, or when they want you to leave! I am still waiting for mine to arrive. Tomorrow morning Iíve got to the clinic to get my lab work done. I was supposed to go this last Friday, but when I went at the time I was told to go, the lab was already closed! So now I'm fasting, for tomorrow morning. And on Tuesday I go see the doctor for the rest of the physical. I was able to get a copy of my shot record today while I was doing my Navy weekend drill. So I donít have to worry about getting any shots, thankfully!! Haha!! As for the cost of your physical. Well, I don't have any health insurance right now, and I was told at the local clinic here, that it would cost anywhere from $700 dollars on up. And I am going to have to pay for it ALL out of my own pocket. But it may be different for you if you have health insurance. And like everyone says, and from what the Medical Packet, in the next packet that you will be getting, says; it will be reimbursed to you. It doesnít help that I just maxed out my Visa Platinum card right now though! But you have to get an itemized receipt. And from what a guy that I know says, who worked for WSI, it had to be really detailed and itemized. Good luck with everything Brother, hope to see you in Houston, or out there in the Great Sand Box!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irishfirefighting View Post
    If u don't mind me asking What company are y'all going through.
    Iím going through Wackenhut Services Incorporated, otherwise known as, WSI.

Forum Member

Cool thanks I sent my resume to India last week and she said she's sending me an application.do you guys have arff. Cause I don't will this hold me back
    Last edited by Irishfirefighting; 08-16-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Irishfirefighting View Post
    Cool thanks I sent my resume to India last week and she said she's sending me an application.do you guys have arff. Cause I don't will this hold me back
    I donít have my ARFF Firefighter right now, but next week I am going to the Alabama Fire College to get my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator. When I had my phone interview, they guy said it was not a big deal if I didnít have it, but it would help while out there if I did. So I hope this helps. Take care and good luck Brother!

MembersZone Subscriber

CAFireman,

I'm out of Coeur D' Alene Idaho so not to close to you but maybe we will be meeting each other soon. I read in a forum that contacting your congressman can speed things along. They must have a red phone direct to the passport office I don't know. But the gal at the office took my information and I had to fax in a form with the request on it. Still haven't gotten that second packet yet and it's driving me nuts. My interviewer said that it would be sent last Monday too. Your's was overnighted? I've tried calling Ms. Moore and Melody as well as email. Today I emailed Kris and he said he forwarded my email to Ms. Moore, hopefully that helps. I just want to make sure they have the right address or something. I know they said to be patient and all but since you got yours so fast I'm startin to wonder if there was a hold up and if there is anything I can do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VandalFF View Post
    CAFireman,

I'm out of Coeur D' Alene Idaho so not to close to you but maybe we will be meeting each other soon. I read in a forum that contacting your congressman can speed things along. They must have a red phone direct to the passport office I don't know. But the gal at the office took my information and I had to fax in a form with the request on it. Still haven't gotten that second packet yet and it's driving me nuts. My interviewer said that it would be sent last Monday too. Your's was overnighted? I've tried calling Ms. Moore and Melody as well as email. Today I emailed Kris and he said he forwarded my email to Ms. Moore, hopefully that helps. I just want to make sure they have the right address or something. I know they said to be patient and all but since you got yours so fast I'm startin to wonder if there was a hold up and if there is anything I can do.
    Wow, your way up there in Idaho, I have family in the Twin Falls area. I might have to call my Congressman so I can get mine faster. What form did you fax over to their office? Is it a form that I can find online? Yea, mine was sent overnight. I donít know why you havenít gotten your second pack yet, but all I can really say is to be patient, I know it doesnít help, but thatís all you can really do. I tried calling Miss. Moore today too, because I have a few questions about the ďOffer PacketĒ, but I only got her voice mail. I have never gotten through to her; I always end up leaving messages. Iíve even emailed her a few times, but I have never received a reply. And the questions I have are rather important too. But all I can say it to be patient and to keep trying to get a hold of her. Keep emailing that Kris guy, and have him forward your emails to her. Good luck Brother!

Forum Member

Mr. Rivera,
    All the ladies in VA are swamped, absolutely swamped with emails that 'are important' to the people sending them.
    Kris is also wicked busy and you need to understand that he is in processing many new hires. His being the middle man for you emails are not his highest priority.
    Many of your 'important' questions have more then likely been asked on here and the answers are readily available

and an aside: i don't know who the heck told you that your state representative could help you out, but that may be one of the more ridiculous things i've heard on here... good luck with that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Mr. Rivera,
    All the ladies in VA are swamped, absolutely swamped with emails that 'are important' to the people sending them.
    Kris is also wicked busy and you need to understand that he is in processing many new hires. His being the middle man for you emails are not his highest priority.
    Many of your 'important' questions have more then likely been asked on here and the answers are readily available

and an aside: i don't know who the heck told you that your state representative could help you out, but that may be one of the more ridiculous things i've heard on here... good luck with that.
    Yea I bet they are. I am not mad or anything. I figured, and can only imagine how they were swamped with calls and emails, and I understand. I am not mad or anything. I was just trying to give the guy some help, and to tell him to be patient. And like I said, I am not mad, upset or anything. That VandalFF guy was the guy, not me, who called his Congressman. I was only curious as to why he did what he did, and if I could/ should do the same thing. I don't have any plans on contacting mine; my passport should be here next week, hopefully. I meet with the doctor tomorrow to finish the rest of the physical; I only hope the lab gets my results in time for me to mail it all off to them. I am working on my SF-85P at the moment, I downloaded a fill able SF-85P and the continuation sheets. I found the one I did for when I was working for the Fort Riley Fire Department in Kansas. So I am filling the new one out, with all my new stuff, and copying what was on the one I did for the FRFD. And tomorrow after the visit with the doctor, I have to go to Vandenberg AFB to get my fingerprint cards done, so I can overnight it to Miss. Moore.
    Last edited by CAFireman; 08-17-2010 at 03:26 AM. Reason: I wanted to add to it.

Forum Member

Post Dead horse alert

Quote Originally Posted by CAFireman View Post
    Yea I bet they are. I am not mad or anything. I figured, and can only imagine how they were swamped with calls and emails, and I understand. I am not mad or anything. I was just trying to give the guy some help, and to tell him to be patient. And like I said, I am not mad, upset or anything. That VandalFF guy was the guy, not me, who called his Congressman. I was only curious as to why he did what he did, and if I could/ should do the same thing. I don't have any plans on contacting mine; my passport should be here next week, hopefully. I meet with the doctor tomorrow to finish the rest of the physical; I only hope the lab gets my results in time for me to mail it all off to them. I am working on my SF-85P at the moment, I downloaded a fill able SF-85P and the continuation sheets. I found the one I did for when I was working for the Fort Riley Fire Department in Kansas. So I am filling the new one out, with all my new stuff, and copying what was on the one I did for the FRFD. And tomorrow after the visit with the doctor, I have to go to Vandenberg AFB to get my fingerprint cards done, so I can overnight it to Miss. Moore.

Guys, I realize and understand that you all have questions. Do not rely on everyone's answer on these posts, even mine. It all depends on your site they assign you to. Things change over there DAILY. You will get the most accurate and up to date information in Houston and when you arrive at Victory. Then, when you arrive at your site, you will noticed things are done differently than what you were told during in-processing. Just wait for your plane ticket and be open minded. Lose all expectations. I will say again....lose ALL expectations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Peterbound,

I got that info about contacting your state rep from some forum and decided to look into it just to do whatever I could to get that passport asap. When I contacted them they were happy to help faxed me a form to fill out and return and then they called me stating they would be contacting the Processing center in PA. Nothing may happen here that gets things going faster but its worth a shot. CAFireman and I are just giving each other feedback as we are going through the process. Working on being patient with the process and everyone I have talked with at WSI has been more than helpful. My interviewer was one of the nicest people I've talked to in awhile though and was able to answer a lot of questions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beach08 View Post
    Guys, I realize and understand that you all have questions. Do not rely on everyone's answer on these posts, even mine. It all depends on your site they assign you to. Things change over there DAILY. You will get the most accurate and up to date information in Houston and when you arrive at Victory. Then, when you arrive at your site, you will noticed things are done differently than what you were told during in-processing. Just wait for your plane ticket and be open minded. Lose all expectations. I will say again....lose ALL expectations.
    Yea I dont really rely on answers posten here, but they do sometimes help. I was wondering though, I filled out the "Offer Packet" and I signed the "Offer Letter" but I am still waiting for my passport. I checked the US State Department's web site for the status of my passport, they are processing it now, so I hope I get it soon. I was wondering if I should send in the filled out "Offer Packet" and signed "Offer Letter" with out the copy of my passport, and fax a copy of my passport when I get it, or if I should wait for my passport to arrive and then send it in? I also was wondering, my CPR card is gona expire February of 2011, and I cant get into a CPR class anytime soon, will the MFR (Medical First Responder) that the company offers give me my CPR for Healthcare Providers? I just earned my NREMT-Basic and that dosent expire till March 31, 2012 I just really want to go, I cant wait to make some big bucks so I can finally get out of debt and buy me a new Tacoma!

Forum Member

Contact Kris about the CPR class after you get your final acceptance letter. I would also wait to send the passport and all the paperwork in at the same time.

Forum Member

Contact Kris about the CPR class after you get your final acceptance letter. I would also wait to send the passport and all the paperwork in at the same time.
    Peterbound,
    Thanks for the info about the CPR class; I just sent an email to Kris about it. And thanks for the advice about waiting to send the "Offer Letter" and the signed "Offer Letter" until I get my passport. Thatís what I planned on doing all along. I wanted to make sure I did the right thing, and not screw anything up. I am really stoked and excited about this opportunity, and I just really want to go, and as soon as possible. My ARFF School is next week; I am really stoked about that too!
    I was wondering though, I know the ARFF Firefighter certification and the ARFF Driver Operator certification will help me with any DOD firefighting jobs I apply for when I get back. But will working overseas, in Iraq, help me, or look good on my resume when I apply for DOD firefighting jobs when I get back? I know having experience is something I always need, but do you think putting it on my resume will help me get hired? Will my experience in Iraq help me to stand out above the rest of the applicants?

Forum Member

Peterbound,
    Thanks for the info about the CPR class; I just sent an email to Kris about it. And thanks for the advice about waiting to send the "Offer Letter" and the signed "Offer Letter" until I get my passport. Thatís what I planned on doing all along. I wanted to make sure I did the right thing, and not screw anything up. I am really stoked and excited about this opportunity, and I just really want to go, and as soon as possible. My ARFF School is next week; I am really stoked about that too!
    I was wondering though, I know the ARFF Firefighter certification and the ARFF Driver Operator certification will help me with any DOD firefighting jobs I apply for when I get back. But will working overseas, in Iraq, help me, or look good on my resume when I apply for DOD firefighting jobs when I get back? I know having experience is something I always need, but do you think putting it on my resume will help me get hired? Will my experience in Iraq help me to stand out above the rest of the applicants?
    Nope, if anything it might hurt you.

And don't expect to get ARFF over there, unless somethings changed they don't offer it in country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey guys just got off the phone with my states rep office and they contacted the passport office yesterday and had it expedited. It's already in the mail and I should have it in the next couple days. Just wanted to put this information out there because it could probably help quite a few people that are just waiting on their passports. I was pretty skeptical about this but glad that it worked. Thanks to all of you who have shared info and advice on this thread its been real helpful. If anyone has insight on typically how long it takes to get that second packet that would be great too. Thanks again.

Forum Member

Nope, if anything it might hurt you.

And don't expect to get ARFF over there, unless somethings changed they don't offer it in country.
    Why would it hurt me? Is it something that is looked down on? And why would doing something like going overseas hurt me for getting another DOD firefighting job?

I am getting my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator next week at the Alabama Fire College.

Forum Member

Why would it hurt me? Is it something that is looked down on? And why would doing something like going overseas hurt me for getting another DOD firefighting job?

I am getting my ARFF Firefighter and my ARFF Driver Operator next week at the Alabama Fire College.
    As far as a DOD position you should be alright, especially if you're prior military or reserved, or leaving that position. As far as local municipalities, they kinda frown on it. Some see it as you go overseas to make big $$$, kinda like selling out. They don't understand that people may go over there to make big $$ to pay off alot of debt and start over. Not everywhere is like that though. I think it has hurt me a little bit with some job tryouts since I've been back. But that is my two cents on it.

Forum Member

Many civilian fire chiefs are former AF fire chiefs

These Chiefs hate.. HATE contractors.

Typically to make Chief you need to have manned a station as an FA as a SMSgt clicking the Chief box. Contractors are making it hard to do that.

When they review your resume they tend to remember this painful fact.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwaskow View Post
    As far as a DOD position you should be alright, especially if you're prior military or reserved, or leaving that position. As far as local municipalities, they kinda frown on it. Some see it as you go overseas to make big $$$, kinda like selling out. They don't understand that people may go over there to make big $$ to pay off alot of debt and start over. Not everywhere is like that though. I think it has hurt me a little bit with some job tryouts since I've been back. But that is my two cents on it.
    Yea, I plan on trying to get back into the DOD system when I get back. I am prior active duty Navy; I am in the Reserve right now. When and if I go over there Iím going to have to go IRR, and then try to get back in when I get back. Yea Iím going over there for the money, why not, and the experience. With the money I could make over there, I will be able to get myself out of debt and help rebuild my credit, I will be able to buy me self a new Toyota Tacoma, and I will have put a good chunk of money away in my savings. Plus, when I get back I might to back to the Alabama Fire College to get my Driver Operator Pumper, Aerial, MWS, my HazMat Tech, and a few others. So I can help better qualify myself for any DOD job I apply for.

I was wondering Peterbound, what do contractors do to make Chiefs hate them? Also, what were you trying to say when you said: "Typically to make Chief you need to have manned a station as an FA as a SMSgt clicking the Chief box. Contractors are making it hard to do that."? What does FA mean, it obviously is an Air Force acronym?

Forum Member

Depending on WSI's needs they sometimes offer the ARFF course or as I call it the Airport Firefighter course in Houston.

Thread Information