Forum Member

Default Federal Firefighter needs help

I am DoD US Army Civilian Assistant Fire Chief, DoD certified up to Fire Officer IIII with all the Hazmat. The base that I have been working at for thirty years does not have a flight mission so I never pursued Airport Firefighter which I am currently enrolled and should have no problem receiving in a short time frame(do I really need it?) I have applied for an Assistant Fire Chief position with WSI in Iraq and have received my first packet which I filled out and sent back. Iím guessing the next step is a phone interview? What do you think my chances are? Is there a lot of retired Fire Chiefís out there looking for the same opportunities? Are all the contract companies wages comparable with each other? Is one company better than the other? Here is my biggest concern, we in the civilian DoD fire departments are having a hard time with retirement packages at the present time. I have submitted my package for retirement but it has been put on hold awaiting classification. I just canít get up and walk off this job when and if WSI offers me a position. With that I also donít want to retire and then wait for a position to open up, the only reason why I would retire at this time is to take the opportunity to make some serious cash at the end of my firefighting career. Trying to tie everything together for a smooth transition. Do you think WSI will work with me on this situation? How long does the process take? Really donít want to deploy until after the first of the year. Any federal guys out there that may have some input, thanks for the help.

Forum Member

I know of some guys who are in the same boat as you and what they did was calculate all leave, determine if the company you applied to is serious, find out possible deployment date (must be flexible may be needed within 45 days) and get all of your affairs in order. The pay is comparable in most cases depending on location, position and company. Some have started to offer 1-2 positions lower than what you have applied for reason being some go over and are unable to adjust to the ops tempo, mission requirements or whatever. Top companies offering serious money right now are ITT, WSI and DynCorp. The process itself depends on the company and their immediate needs as well as the recruiters (headhunters) ability to rifle through countless resumes and makes a selection. Next you submit all applicable forms needed and then either you go out and get you medical/dental physicals or in some cases the company will set it up. Overall just stay vigilant in your quest and I hope all goes well as for me I'm recently retired and waiting for my ticket so if have any other questions or concerns just PM me.

Forum Member

The base that I have been working at for thirty years does not have a flight mission so I never pursued Airport Firefighter which I am currently enrolled and should have no problem receiving in a short time frame(do I really need it?)

guess it depends on if you are trying to get to a base with flying, it is a little different animal to be around.

where are you enrolled at , and what are you getting??

Forum Member

I am only at 8 years in DoD Fire protection, so I do not now much...

I would def. suggest getting ARFF, and try to do something as a A/C or higher at a location with a flightline. My old Assistant chief retired from the military and took a ITT job as a deputy. When he arrived on location the Fire Cheif that ITT hired didnt have experiance with running a department that responded to ARFF emergencies. Neadless to say, they demoted the higher ranking longer career guy and moved my old A/C to the chief spot due to his ARFF experiance, and had the other person be the deputy.

Now, like I said, I am new and respect your 30 years of service, but that is just an example of something you might face in the future. So, get ARFF knocked out, its simple...

Forum Member

Thanks for the info. I am enrolled through DoD Cert Program for Airport FF, getting ready to take the test. Had taken the test a few years back but never did the pratical and I timed out. I have paper work in with WSI. They know that I am waiting on this test. Have not heard anything back from them, no big deal if it happens it happens, have other irons in the fire. Dont realy know how it would be working for a contactor after more then 30 years as a fed if you know what I mean.

Forum Member

Thanks, ya hate to jump ship to early. Good thing I dont have to retire. I had to Captains retire due to medical reasons they have been gone for six months without a check due to the Army screw up.

Thread Information