Examination: Saturday, September 18, 2010
    at 9:00 a.m.

Date of Physical Agility
    Examination: Sunday,
    September 19, 2010,
    by appointment made with Cuyahoga
    Community College

QUALIFICATIONS:

Candidates must hold a current emergency medical technician-paramedic certification (State of Ohio Certified) or must be currently enrolled in a paramedic training program. Only a certified paramedic shall be eligible for original appointment to the Euclid Fire Department. Applicants must be citizens of the United States, High School graduates or holders of GED certification, possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license, and be at least 21 years of age, but not over 31, on or before the effective date of appointment. Applicants over the age of 31 may exceed this requirement, on a year for year basis, up to a maximum of 5 years, if they possess time service credit in the Ohio Police and Fire Pension Fund. Documentation from OP&F Pension Fund of time in service must be included in the candidates' application.

APPLICATIONS AVAILABLE

Beginning Monday, August 16, 2010 through Friday, August 27, 2010 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Euclid Municipal Center lobby. Applications will also be available on line twenty-four (24) hours a day at www.cityofeuclid.com from 9:00 a.m. Friday, August 13, 2010 until Friday, August 27, 2010 at 5:00 p.m. The number of applications distributed will not be limited.

FILING APPLICATIONS

A maximum of 200 applications will be accepted. Completed applications will be accepted at the Euclid Municipal Center, 585 E. 222nd Street, Euclid, Ohio 44123, on Saturday, August 28, 2010 from 9:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. and Monday, August 30, 2010 through Friday, September 10, 2010 from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in the Engineering Department at the Euclid Municipal Center. All supporting documentation must be submitted with your application. Applications must be notarized. A processing fee of ($25.00) twenty-five dollars, money order only made out to The City of Euclid, will be due at the time of filing your application.

Additional information
    available at
    www.cityofeuclid.com

Forum Member

Are they even hiring or just establishing a list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Who knows. I doubt they would spend the money on a test if they weren't hiring off it. Were short guys right now and have a bunch more leaving early 11.

Forum Member

Question

I read this and even went to the web site. Nothing here or there mentions starting pay or the pay ranges.

I can't recall not ever seeing the pay ranges before on a city/departments web site posting for recruitment.

Makes one wonder...

MembersZone Subscriber

age limit 31.. f**k that

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I read this and even went to the web site. Nothing here or there mentions starting pay or the pay ranges.

I can't recall not ever seeing the pay ranges before on a city/departments web site posting for recruitment.

Makes one wonder...
    Makes you wonder what?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckels128 View Post
    Makes you wonder what?
    Hey I read the advertisement for this dept taking applications too and didn't see anything indicating the beginning pay or anything about pay in general.

I can see how Jonnee would 'wonder'. I too wonder why didn't they or why don't they post the pay??? All other announcements for FF jobs have the pay listed.

It must be a low pay and this place don't want to post it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

I took quite a few test in NE Ohio and dont recall very many listing pay grade. I took every test given, and pay never realy made a difference. NE Ohio Fire depts. seem to all be pretty close in pay with some exceptions at both ends. Perhaps its different in Virginia where your both from. I posted the announcement to inform people of our test not because we make a ton of money.

If you want to work in Euclid take the test.

If you dont..........then dont.

If you wnt to know more about the Dept. go to www.iaff337.com

Pay grades arent on there either.

Forum Member

I took quite a few test in NE Ohio and dont recall very many listing pay grade. I took every test given, and pay never realy made a difference. NE Ohio Fire depts. seem to all be pretty close in pay with some exceptions at both ends. Perhaps its different in Virginia where your both from. I posted the announcement to inform people of our test not because we make a ton of money.

If you want to work in Euclid take the test.

If you dont..........then dont.

If you wnt to know more about the Dept. go to www.iaff337.com

Pay grades arent on there either.

I am from an area that new hires, at paid right at $40,000 mark to start and get a 5% raise when they graduate. The top for a firefighter, Master FF, is around $80,000 and some change which takes maybe 10 years to achive. By the time a new hire goes to work today the top pay for Master will probably be near 100 g's by the time the get the time in and the education that one has to have to get to this level.

Posting the pay ranges in the application announcement get around 4000 or so applications and they are all over the US. A lot from PA, NY, OH, KY and other states trying to get a job.

So I would say the pay does makes a difference.

Most people look at the pay and if they don't advertise it, they go to where they do.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I am from an area that new hires, at paid right at $40,000 mark to start and get a 5% raise when they graduate. The top for a firefighter, Master FF, is around $80,000 and some change which takes maybe 10 years to achive. By the time a new hire goes to work today the top pay for Master will probably be near 100 g's by the time the get the time in and the education that one has to have to get to this level.

Posting the pay ranges in the application announcement get around 4000 or so applications and they are all over the US. A lot from PA, NY, OH, KY and other states trying to get a job.

So I would say the pay does makes a difference.

Most people look at the pay and if they don't advertise it, they go to where they do.
    OK Capt. Oldtimer, while I completely disagree with you I dont care enough to get into an online argument.

Like I said before. If you want to work in Euclid take the test.

Forum Member

OK Capt. Oldtimer, while I completely disagree with you I dont care enough to get into an online argument.

Like I said before. If you want to work in Euclid take the test.

Pal, I am not arguing with you or anyone else.
    I just stated I too wondered why no $$ was ever posted for these jobs.
    Most guys looking for a FF Job is looking at the $$ too.
    No pay shown they go elsewhere where it is.
    With the economy the way it is, guys go to where the money is and not where it isn't.

Stay there and learn to live with whatever the pay is!

Beside pay rates for public employees are public information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Pal, I am not arguing with you or anyone else.
    I just stated I too wondered why no $$ was ever posted for these jobs.
    Most guys looking for a FF Job is looking at the $$ too.
    No pay shown they go elsewhere where it is.
    With the economy the way it is, guys go to where the money is and not where it isn't.

Stay there and learn to live with whatever the pay is!

Beside pay rates for public employees are public information.
    Haha. why dont you spend some of that huge salary of yours and find a hobby. Posting on the internet about things that have nothing to do with you is no way to go through life.

I have to go beg for change by the freeway now.

Forum Member

There is such a saturation of firefighter/paramedics in Northeast Ohio that the guys don't care about the pay. They want the job. Yes, pay can make a difference when accepting a job. But, they just want to get hired. Northeast Ohio has more paramedics per capita than anywhere in the country. We have guys tripping over each other to get hired. We get at least 200 guys for tests that will hire one spot. It is so saturated that most departments require you to be a medic to sit for the test. So, for those of you outside of our area, please do not compare your situation. The job market in our area is fierce competition. We end up with new hires that have more certifications and experience than some departments have after 5 years. I am not bragging at all. This is just the facts. If a young kid wants a fire job around here, he had better get on a volunteer or part time department and get some experience.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

i will second jason's post. saturated is seemingly an understatement.

http://www.serb.ohio.gov/sections/re...ED-09-0868.pdf
    here is a link to euclid's contract.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Wordf on the street from some very reliable sources is that they got a SAFER Grant and 10 guys could be hired from this list. There is also the possibility of more since this is the 8th year for DROP in Ohio. Anyone that got into DROP in the beginning must retire this year.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Thread Information