Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Well, Chenzo stole most of my thunder here but let me add a few things.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Having given some more thought to this thread and some other reports of the FIT5, I have a concern with the number of "duds' they've put out there. It seems in many cases the first FIT5 has failed to arm. While at first glance this may appear to not be a big deal, short of the $995 investment, which we can assume they'll replace, it could very well be a major issue. First, more likely than not, the chief's buggy will have only one of these devices, due to cost. Supposedly fixed with an entirely new triggering device. I would like to see a new one in the next demo, not old stock. Second, we must assume most deployments will be via an outside window, rather than through an interior door. So the question is, how does one control the broken window once you toss this red metal anchor in? The opening is now allowing the fire to self-vent, adding oxygen and potentially speeding fire growth, when the deployment fails. This of course would be a concern even with a successfully deployment if your timing wasn't considered and the re-ignition and growth occurs before an engine arrives or can get a line stretched. I think if you limited the size of the opening by breaking out only the upper or lower portion of the window that it would still effectively knock down the fire. Remember in the demo we did the bedroom door was missing so there was a 30 by 80 opening and the fire was still knocked down.

On the other side, I'm still not convinced the victim in the deployment area is a valid concern? Viability is the issue here. If the fire indicated deployment of the device, is it not likely that victims are not viable? I agree. If the room is fully involved, or post flashover, the odds of a viable victim are zero anyways. At least in the fire room. Using the device may buy enough time to effect rescue of others still in the home. We're not thinking of tossing these on wastepaper basket fires are we? We're talking about deploying them into the fire room/area, not just into a smoky door or window. Heavy fire, black fire, heavy smoke under pressure, high heat? Not wispy lazy light smoke. I'd hope the people carrying these devices had a little knowledge about fire behavior and could reasonably evaluate the factors to determine if deployment is necessary or not. We'd be concerned steaming viable victims in the same area, we're talking about deploying these. My thought process says that this would be deployed ONLY on actual fire and not a wastebasket fire.
    Again, I don't see it replacing a hoseline if one is available. Well, perhaps initially in a basement fire if it works as well as I have been told by a fire fightrer whose FD deployed one on a basement fire.

It is just another tool, if you want to try it and see if it is for you then you will. If your mind is completely closed to any possibility of this device, then you won't.

Stay safe either way.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper 45 View Post
    FyredUp, Chenzo, if the opportunity arises for you to be able to test this device again, let me know. I would love to make the short drive to see it first hand.
    I think part of what makes some resistive is the original "advocates" for the device.
    I think it would be interesting to see, especially with the scenario that Chenzo was looking at.

Keep it safe out there.
    Hey Brother! I would love to have you out here in the sticks if we get a chance to demo one of these. Culture shock baby!!
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

MembersZone Subscriber

My only thought on breaking out a small section of window is that while it makes absolute sense, it's likely not that simple. Windows in conditions we're likely to deploy a device probably will have already been superheated to near failure, so what we could normally keep small may not work out for us. In the end the real issue was the rate of failure to arm, which it sounds like has been changed to a much more reliable system.

As I noted from the beginning, while I'm skeptical, it appears that the idea is with some merit and many of the supposed issues are cases of people trying to find reasons not to use the device by elevating concerns that actually are either true for any extinguishing agent/system or not really as big a deal as they're purported. The biggest concern to me is overselling the potential of the product and using it as a stop gap to staffing problems or in place of proper tactics.

I think that having skeptical firefighters try these and make their own conclusions helps validate some of the concerns as well as alleviate some. Thanks for sharing, we can be confident that your views are unbiased.

Thread Information