Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Paramedic school interview

Hey guys/gals I do not know if this in the right section or not but this seemed to fit the bill. Last week I took my entrance exam for medic school that will start in January in Illinois. Well anyways I got the letter today that I passed that and now get to schedule an oral interview. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how these go?

Here is what I know currently
    - they had 80 applicants and they will not take anymore that 30, but it does not have to be 30.
    -they prefer people with experience, I have just about 6 months working for a private as an EMT-B under my belt, I know that is not a given, but still a plus I believe.

That is all I know of going into the interview which will most likely be the last week of August.

Also the interviews are scheduled for either a Monday or Tuesday and I work Sun-Tues every week, should I even bother asking for another date, or just take a day off work and not even mention it?

Anything else is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the insight!

Forum Member

Take day off if you want the class

3 in 8 chance of getting in!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sTages19 View Post
    Hey guys/gals I do not know if this in the right section or not but this seemed to fit the bill. Last week I took my entrance exam for medic school that will start in January in Illinois. Well anyways I got the letter today that I passed that and now get to schedule an oral interview. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on how these go?

Here is what I know currently
    - they had 80 applicants and they will not take anymore that 30, but it does not have to be 30.
    -they prefer people with experience, I have just about 6 months working for a private as an EMT-B under my belt, I know that is not a given, but still a plus I believe.

That is all I know of going into the interview which will most likely be the last week of August.

Also the interviews are scheduled for either a Monday or Tuesday and I work Sun-Tues every week, should I even bother asking for another date, or just take a day off work and not even mention it?

Anything else is greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the insight!
    First off, 6 months is not that much time on the street, so don't act like it is. Tell them you are new, but you know this is what you want to do. You need to tell them what they want to hear.

Take the day off. You WILL NOT get in if you can't even make the time to interview. Paramedic School is a HUGE time commitment. They want to know you can handle it.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

You already know the numbers. The interview is a way to cull the heard. Part of the selection will probably be PC too. They can only ask you so many questions in any interview i.e. what have you done to prepare, why do you want to be a medic, why should we select you over the other applicants, yada, yada, yada. Just like any interview too many candidates aren't prepared for those basic questions to make the cut.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

thanks for the responses guys. I wont even mention that I work, Ill just take the day off or even I bet I can get one of my partners to switch another day with me if they know it is because of a paramedic interview.

TNFF- I realize 6 months is not much and I am still fresh. Which is why I stated it how I did. In my testing day alone they asked for people with no experience to raise their hands and at least half the people did, probably around 10-12 people. Also in the application it says that they prefer candidates with a minimum of 6 months in the field, which is why I said that, because I meet the "requirement." Thanks for your input though.

I will be calling tomorrow to set up an interview date.

I have recently purchased an anatomy book to prepare myself better for the test, should I mention that? I just don't want them to think that I am "trying to hard". I really do have a book and really do intend to learn before I attend so that I can better apply myself to the class.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sTages19 View Post
    thanks for the responses guys. I wont even mention that I work, Ill just take the day off or even I bet I can get one of my partners to switch another day with me if they know it is because of a paramedic interview.

TNFF- I realize 6 months is not much and I am still fresh. Which is why I stated it how I did. In my testing day alone they asked for people with no experience to raise their hands and at least half the people did, probably around 10-12 people. Also in the application it says that they prefer candidates with a minimum of 6 months in the field, which is why I said that, because I meet the "requirement." Thanks for your input though.

I will be calling tomorrow to set up an interview date.

I have recently purchased an anatomy book to prepare myself better for the test, should I mention that? I just don't want them to think that I am "trying to hard". I really do have a book and really do intend to learn before I attend so that I can better apply myself to the class.

Thanks again.
    I was saying do not brag about how much time you have on the street. I would not mention the book. Answer the questions given to you. You will be surprised by the number of people who do not interview and fail to do the required testing.
    FF/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    I was saying do not brag about how much time you have on the street. I would not mention the book. Answer the questions given to you. You will be surprised by the number of people who do not interview and fail to do the required testing.
    Ok thanks. I appreciate the input.

Forum Member

I have an experience of year..i am interested in Paramedic school
    Last edited by technotech; 09-08-2010 at 02:21 PM.

Thread Information