Forum Member

Default Bumper donut roll search

Many months ago there was a thread on here that discussed and showed a couple of videos of preconnected lines in the front bumper being donut rolled and stored standing up for a simple deployment. The thread even had a drawing or two on the set up for the storage area. I have searched and cannnot find it. Does anyone know where it may be or have a link. Thanks in advance for the help.

Forum Member

I don't know where the thread is, but Rattlesnake, CO has three HUGE pumper/tanker/interface vehicles that have them on the front and rear.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by chiefanthony View Post
    Many months ago there was a thread on here that discussed and showed a couple of videos of preconnected lines in the front bumper being donut rolled and stored standing up for a simple deployment. The thread even had a drawing or two on the set up for the storage area. I have searched and cannnot find it. Does anyone know where it may be or have a link. Thanks in advance for the help.
    We have 100' loads in the bumper on several rigs. What we typically do on mine that works well is flat loading several flakes to allow enough to make it to the ground, then turning up two or four ears across them, then flat loading the rest, laying the nozzle on top, the laying the ears over.

This allows us to grab the ears and lay the bundle on the ground, and get all 100' out quickly.

I realize this isn't what you were specifically asking about, but it works well also.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Contact Asst Chief Micelli of the Rockland Me FD 207-594-0318. His new Squad is set up this way. Also you can try the search feature in Apparatus Innovation,achives OLDER than 45 days. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

search in the apparatus section. Lots of such info.

Forum Member

I havent been able to find the ones I was looking for. One of the videos showed hooking the sections together in the round bottom well and then showed a FF deploying the line. Later in the thread someone actually had a drawing with measurements that I think they were having made for a new truck. Thanks again for the help.

Forum Member

Toyne does this here is a pic of a bumper on a custom with a Spartan Chassis
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    Thats Rockland's Rig. User "RFDACM02" is the guy you should ask.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SFD_E73_RET View Post
    Hey that looks familiar! Those hold 200 ft. each of 1.75" preconnected bumper loads. I have a bunch of information on this as we are very happy with our bumper loads. I must give credit where it is due to The "Battenburg Beast" as Blitzfiresolo was the one that really helped us see the value of these loads.

We have pictures, video and specs on the Toyne set-up, as well as tips and pointers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Hey that looks familiar! Those hold 200 ft. each of 1.75" preconnected bumper loads. I have a bunch of information on this as we are very happy with our bumper loads. I must give credit where it is due to The "Battenburg Beast" as Blitzfiresolo was the one that really helped us see the value of these loads.

We have pictures, video and specs on the Toyne set-up, as well as tips and pointers.
    Dude,you ain't in PG. What's with the Rotoray? I bet you forgot the Powercall,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Front Bumper Donut Roll Load

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Dude,you ain't in PG. What's with the Rotoray? I bet you forgot the Powercall,hehe T.C.
    We own two Powercalls in #1's buggie and #2's POV Not one other audible or visual device gets more comments than the two rotorays (Squad and Tower), just wish we had stuck with the halogen on the RR for the Squad, the LED is non-directional and has no "bounce".

MembersZone Subscriber

That thread really has a ton of great info on the bumper roll load. Westhampton's Power point is perfect, and LADDERTRUCKGOES comments and tips are very valuable.

Forum Member

Bingo. That is the one I was looking for. I thought it had a video also but it has been a while. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Forum Member

While not quite a front bumper, I find this video on donut rolls interesting.

http://rosenbaueramerica.com/videos?...ler.flv#Player

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post

That looks like a great piece of equipment until someone has to repack it!!!

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by LT2410 View Post

That's quite an interesting concept! I'm gonna send this to the guys on our apparatus committee just to see what kind of comments I get.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Why would you ever need a hose lay that long? they were laying hose well over a mile. Ill bet thoes guys worked the next day all day just repacking it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    Why would you ever need a hose lay that long? they were laying hose well over a mile. Ill bet thoes guys worked the next day all day just repacking it.
    My guess is to get water to the fire?

From what I understand, it's not unheard of in Europe to do this quite frequently. Even though its not a driveway in the video, there are many long narrow driveways that make it difficult to get tankers up the driveway and get them turned around. So they lay long supply lines and will then lay portable pumps in series to get the water up to the fire. The source could either be tankers or a nearby stream, pond, etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1 View Post
    Lookslike 48x (12x4) 50ft (or maybe in EUland its 20m).

I'd like to know the travel speed. Looks like at least 20mph.

Donut rolls vs flat load? +/-?

We use a pickup for LDH hosewagon> Just backup pickup while loading vs donut rolls and then moving the rolls around. Find to be very handy to reload vs hosebed on to of a pumper. 30" from the ground vs 6'. Quick and safe. And for mutual aide calls doesn't take an apparatus out for district.

MembersZone Subscriber

To whoever originally asked the questions about the donut rolls, please feel free to email any questions you have here if you need quick answers. I'm not on here as much as I used to be but have no problem helping any brother with anything.

I'm no longer Captain at Westampton. After 3 very long, very busy, and very productive/progressive years, I've chosen to step down and let someone else move up and continue the progress. This has allowed me to return to my home town and focus on the company I grew up in. (Ok... bought a house and too lazy to commute now that I'm getting older)

I'll be posting a thread in the next week or so about our recently delivered Ladder 12 (Quint for you Bruancini wannabe's). Something I'll highlight is that we were unable to fit rolls in this rig's front bumper because of the protrusion of the Impel cab's grill. Several of us worked for about 10 hours trying different ideas, and we settled on a modified horseshoe load that faces up, which allows us to do exactly what we were doing with the rolls, but fit into a tighter space. While not being anything special or fancy of a load, I'll show it because it may be an easy answer for those of you trying to take the next step towards "Combat Ready" hose loads, but don't have the room or means for the rolls.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to check out our new rig, it's listed on Pierce's website under new deliveries. You can't miss it... it would be the Green one. Really Green.

Sean Desjardins, Lieutenant
    Beverly Fire Company No. 1 (NJ)
    sdesjardins@beverlyfire121.org
    FTM-PTB DTRT

Everything I state on here is to support and aid my fellow firefighters. Everything I post is my opinion only, and in no way should be taken as an official opinion of any Company, Department, or Municipality I represent... oh and this includes Pierce Mfg, as so their legal department has advised me; since they apparently also invented the right to control "Free Speech".

Forum Member

Short of being stuck with a bumper hosewell from someone else plans, why would you use this method? Seems like it may have been the only front bumper option or a hold over from back in the 80's.

For those that have recently ordered trucks , or are going to, why not just spec a simple tray or x-lay trough on the bumper?

I was thinking about some of the stuff we put out there and it seems like a simple solution for most pumpers, not all.

Shelby

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by 52shelby View Post
    For those that have recently ordered trucks , or are going to, why not just spec a simple tray or x-lay trough on the bumper?
    We're going to solicit bids for a new pumper for my VFD in the next few weeks. Our current pumper is pretty standard with three crosslays, but the on the new one, we're going to run our two primary attack lines off the front bumper. Certainly not everyone in the department is sold on this idea, but the majority are.

We're still up-in-the-air about doing the curved trays like we've seen in a couple of the threads, or just doing a standard box. Right now, we're leaning towards the curved trays, but making them removable in case we want to make changes in the future.

We elected not to do the bumper crosslay because for us, it defeated the reason for going to the front bumper rolls. Our response district consists of either 1000-1500SF homes with a short set back, or 2000-4000SF homes with long driveways and long setbacks. We had to focus on the those narrow driveways at the long houses that we deal with routinely, and knew that if we can get the pumper in there, coming straight off the front bumper with the rolls would provide us with quick deployment in an area no wider than the rig itself. We wouldn't have to worry about trees, woods, ditches, and roadways. It's not a one-size fits all answer, but for our response district, we think it will work well.

Much of the influence for our pumper came from the photos and information here on FH.com.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Thread Information