Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose Hook?

Forum Member

Default Hose Hook?

Can anyone make a suggestion on where to purchase a "hose hook" from?

By hose hook, I mean one of those solid piece metal hooks that you can use to hoof 2 1/2" hose? The hook is slightly larger then a filled 2 1/2" and gives you a place to grip. When you need to move the hose, you can slide the hook down the hose and pull. It can also be used for various tech rescue applications. I saw a video of one a couple years ago, and I found the patent for it, but I haven't found a (reputable) dealer yet.

Thanks.

Forum Member

Default Try useing the tool bars

http://cms.firehouse.com/shop/fire.jsp

The fire store is a big sponser try useing them they help keep the fourms free.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca...gn=channellock

Forum Member

a hose strap

Or webbing.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

The "Bow Ring"?

Forum Member

its actually a Bat'leth

Thry this...

www.nicolhosehook.com
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Huh............learn something new everyday.............anyone using one ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya my hands.

I have yet to see one or two memnbers move a charged section or more of LDH, be it 4" or 5". It weighs just too much with that much H2O in it.

At best a compnay of 4 or more might move part of that hose.

The photo they show has to be an section filled with air!

Maybe the only thing you are going to pull is your nads out of place!!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by FyrnResQ View Post
    Check out thebowring.com. When the hoseman on my shift got one, I thought it was a little whackerish and might be something sold by Billy Mays. I generally shy away from anything that "does the job of 12 different tools." However, we put it through it's paces once it was delivered and it was handy enough that it made my Christmas list in 2009. I now carry one with me.

It works very well as a hose tool and performs some dozen other tasks decent enough as well. It weighs about 22 ounces and my be the heaviest thing in my bunker pockets -- but I'm not one of the guys that carries an entire Snap-On truck in my pants. It is a near-perfect fit for my pocket. You can tell it was designed by firefighters... Which is another thing it has going for it. The guys selling the tool are actual firefighters and not just some people running a web site.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't know if it is worth $124.00... I was ready to by one and try it out I even watched all the video's then I went to the order now page and I started laughing.

A 12 ft. piece of webbing works just fine, at least for me.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by giweff View Post
    Don't know if it is worth $124.00... I was ready to by one and try it out I even watched all the video's then I went to the order now page and I started laughing.
    Whoa. They must be trying to curb demand or the cost of materials has gone through the roof... I can't remember an exact price, but the Bowring did NOT cost triple-digits when Santa Claus ordered mine last year.

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    A 12 ft. piece of webbing works just fine, at least for me.
    i use 20 ft in a loop attached by a water knot wrapped in a rubber glove. works well here.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FyrnResQ View Post

By hose hook, I mean one of those solid piece metal hooks that you can use to hoof 2 1/2" hose? The hook is slightly larger then a filled 2 1/2" and gives you a place to grip. When you need to move the hose, you can slide the hook down the hose and pull. It can also be used for various tech rescue applications. I saw a video of one a couple years ago, and I found the patent for it, but I haven't found a (reputable) dealer yet.

Thanks.
    call your local tool rep that comes by the firehouse.

also the fancy hose hook promo states it is a rescue rope ring..... don't those types of things typicall used by departments and high angle teams get an approval (nfpa or the like)? didn't see anything of the sort on that tool.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

I got a Bowring tool for Christmas this year and I have to say I like it. I've preferred just reaching back with a straight-arm grip to move line in the past over a hose strap, and the Bowring facilitates that quite a bit. Watch the hose handling videos; I think it's pretty slick and from my experience it works as advertised. Hose shuffling was pretty nice and I like the kneeling position with the 2 1/2" blitz line. A hose strap is definitely cheaper and is tried and true, but it rests up high and fatigues your back when you're sitting there for a long time.

Forum Member

You might also consider a good, old-fashioned" rope hose tool."

MembersZone Subscriber

Thread is 2 1/2 years old, but since it was bumped... firepundit is right, and it was originally called A Rodgers Rope Tool. It is a standard department issue here, but they are home-made. The hook is constructed of 316 stainless rod 3/8" diameter and bent as follows... 3/4" loop (eye) on the end with a 2 1/2" diameter "Hook". Rope is 3/8" Dacron (do not use Polypropelene or Nylon) Poly deteriorates with ultra violet & nylon will stretch. Rope is fashioned into a loop through the hook eye and spliced, leaving a 1 ft. "Tail". Tail is run through a 3/8" cable thimble with a 2" welded SS ring and spliced back on itself. As for moving charged 5" line. 2 weeks ago it was necessary to lay in on a long driveway (800 ft.). Several places in the lay, the hose snaked across the entire drive. 3 of us, using rope tools were able to clear the line off the drive and into 10 inches of snow to allow the heavy rescue access to the scene for air and lighting. Yes, a rope tool is a very effective tool in your arsenal. Holds door open (automatic closures), hangs fans in doorways and windows, the ring (around the hose) & loop (over your shoulder) can be used to help hold a charged line leaving your hands to direct the nozzle. Thread an end through a roll of hose, bind the roll with the loop & put the loop over your shoulder as a carry aid. Tie the ladder tip into the building for roof operations. Holds a charged line and takes the weight on a ladder or window sill. Stainless is a must, since a rusted hook or ring will leave a rust mark on a painted door or window sill. Keep your customers happy.
    Last edited by kuh shise; 01-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.

looks like one more useless thing someone is peddling to get vollies and volly depts to spend their money on.........I really have to get off my *** and get moving with my VFD Dalmatian Pooper-Scooper idea, the Pa Fire Expo is in a few months and I need to start saving for the kids college funds.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information