MembersZone Subscriber

Default Extra money ideas...

My department has around $9,000 of AFG money left over from the grant after having purchased everything we said we were going to purchase. I know we can spend up to $4,750 of federal money and $250 of our money (to equal $5,000) on needed items not listed in the grant.

As for the other $4,000 or so bucks, what are some of the things you have gotten? We need ideas...thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReb22 View Post
    My department has around $9,000 of AFG money left over from the grant after having purchased everything we said we were going to purchase. I know we can spend up to $4,750 of federal money and $250 of our money (to equal $5,000) on needed items not listed in the grant.

As for the other $4,000 or so bucks, what are some of the things you have gotten? We need ideas...thanks.
    Keep in mind the new rules- 50% of excess funds can be used for training, and anything over $5K excess for fire prevention.

What we did withour fire prevention funds last year was purchase a computer and "risk management software" (read: Firehouse). Some of the best money I've spent, as it's made my job a LOT easier!

Forum Member

We purchased a computer, projector, and videos to use during our fire prevention activities at the local schools. The schools really like the videos and have asked us to come back regularly. It used to be that we had to beg the schools to allow us to come in and have a fire prevention assembly.

Back In Black

I'm thinking "Training Hot Tub".
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Beer. Buy Beer. It is not just for breakfast anymore.

(Catch had a good idea with the Firehouse software)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the ideas guys. I appreciate it.

Forum Member

Thanks for the ideas guys. I appreciate it.
    Yes, very good ideas.

I would be interested in recommendations for training videos or awarness videos.

I am going to have around $35,000 in excess funds from my regional application

Forum Member

If you can not think of what you need right now says you do not need it. Turn it back in so someone with a legitamate need can get some funding. My whole grant is around $35K and you have that for "excess"??

We all need to be responsible with our spending, so don't just spend for the sake of spending. If you fulfilled the project of your grant and had savings then the responsible thing to do is turn it back in.

2 cents..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by geefireman View Post
    If you can not think of what you need right now says you do not need it. Turn it back in so someone with a legitamate need can get some funding. My whole grant is around $35K and you have that for "excess"??

We all need to be responsible with our spending, so don't just spend for the sake of spending. If you fulfilled the project of your grant and had savings then the responsible thing to do is turn it back in.

2 cents..
    Would they actually put award "returned money" or would they simply throw it back into the treasury. IF they would ASSURE me if I returned excess money it would go to some other department who "just missed," heck yeah I'd return it. Otherwise, I'll be glad to get a few Fire Safety and Prevention goodies.

MembersZone Subscriber

Would they actually put award "returned money" or would they simply throw it back into the treasury. IF they would ASSURE me if I returned excess money it would go to some other department who "just missed," heck yeah I'd return it. Otherwise, I'll be glad to get a few Fire Safety and Prevention goodies.
    In the past funds returned, not accepted etc. would go towards supplemental awards. That has not been the case lately. In 2008 the AFG did not award all of the funds so no supplemental awards. So any funds returned along with the unfunded amount went back to the Treasury. I would not count on it this year as well as just over $10 million remains for 2009.
    Last edited by onebugle; 08-25-2010 at 09:46 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by geefireman View Post

2 cents..
    You have got to be kidding, arenít you? You really donít think they will give that money to some deserving department, do you? He needs to spend that money on things his department needs. How often do you have money left over on a project? Not many I bet. Spend that money. I have money left over this year because I spent wisely and because of competitive biding. If they approve my plan for fire prevention I will use it all. Every last dime. If that sounds like I am being greedy, so be it. It may be you next year that has money left over. THATíS MY 2 CENTS.

Thread Information