Thread: There Be Bears!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking There Be Bears!

Pot growers go to great lengths to protect their illicit product

By Douglas Quan, Postmedia News August 20, 2010

The recent discovery of several wild bears near a marijuana grow-operation in British Columbia is just one of many examples of the extraordinary lengths people will sometimes go to protect their pot, police across the country say.

While no one yesterday could recall another instance involving bears, there was a case several years ago involving a crocodile. In 2003, drug officers raided a home in Scarborough, Ont., and found 164 plants growing around a concrete-lined oval pond in the basement.

It turned out a two-metre-long croc was swimming in the pond's murky water.

Police discovered tanks of fish and six cages of rats -- apparently food for the scaly reptile.

Pot-farm caretakers not inclined to use wild animals or armed guards have been known to devise elaborate booby traps designed to thwart police and ward off pot-plant thieves.

"Some of these setups are done to a professional level," said Sgt. Chan Dara, national co-ordinator of the RCMP's marijuana-enforcement program.

Investigators, he said, have come across trip wires rigged to fire rifles or shotguns, even door knobs designed to give intruders an electric jolt.

Det. Sgt. Mark Dennis of the Ontario Provincial Police drug-enforcement unit said some outdoor grow-operations are surrounded by fishing lines with sharp hooks designed to catch you in the face or wooden boards on the ground with nails protruding from them.

Just last year, an officer got caught in a bear trap. While he wasn't seriously hurt, he had to be carried away by fellow officers, Dennis said.

Criminals will also go to great lengths to conceal their grow-ops.

Dennis said investigators once discovered a grow-op located underneath the detached garage of a residence. The entrance to the basement was concealed by a fake staircase that lifted up hydraulically with the flip of a toggle switch.

In Chilliwack last year, RCMP discovered an underground bunker with more than 11,000 pot plants. A Quonset hut was built atop the bunker to give "the illusion of a legitimate out building on the property," police said.

The bunker was also equipped with booby traps rigged to shoot bear spray.

And in Surrey last year, police discovered a residential basement grow-op located behind an industrial-quality door. The door was hidden behind a bookshelf that opened partially on a hinge "much like one typically associated with an old English manor house," police said.

But none of these cases has garnered as much attention as the case of the pot-protecting bears.

RCMP announced this week that officers dismantling an outdoor grow-op in the Christina Lake area were confronted by 10 docile black bears.

Police said it appeared to them that residents had fed the bears to encourage them to keep coming back to the property to essentially serve as guards for the plants.

"Absurd and surreal," RCMP Cpl. Dan Moskaluk said yesterday.

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/to...#ixzz0xAt4OcFO
    ===

Gotta love BC ingenuity!

Forum Member

All I can think of is Balou from "The Jungle Book" singing "It's the bear necessities,with Mother Nature's recipes..."
    I'm sorry,I've been watching entirely too much Disney while watching my neighbors' grandkid.
    Last edited by doughesson; 08-20-2010 at 03:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    "I set sail in search of the great white bear who took my leg. Who sails with me?There be a gold fifty dollar coin to the man who spots him..."

(With many apologies to Hermann Melville,who might rise up from his grave to whip my butt for this)

HAHAHAA you laugh, but there truly are WHITE bears. Not just the expected POLAR bear, but west coast black bears that occasionally produce an albino. Very sacred to the local Native populations.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    HAHAHAA you laugh, but there truly are WHITE bears. Not just the expected POLAR bear, but west coast black bears that occasionally produce an albino. Very sacred to the local Native populations.

For those who joined this after I edited my post,sorry.He responded to my original.
    As to the original topic,I'm just as lief to stick with worrying if Skeeter's meth lab/Mom's house is gonna explode on us as we pile off the rig on arrival.

Thread Information