Forum Member

Default SAFER Grants for Retention?? Help needed!

A local department is facing layoffs and some of the brothers recieved lay-off notices 2 weeks ago. They are set to be laid off the first of October.
    I have read the SAFER page and it is still unclear to me. Would the SAFER help the department keep them, or do they need to get laid off and then it kicks in?

If anyone has gone through this, can you give me info on it, or PM me about it? I know the Orlando brothers were kept on with the grant, but i'm wondering how the process works exactly and these guys can be kept before the October 1st deadline.

Thank You

Forum Member

After reading more into detail, I understand this is a career department and cannot get SAFER for retention.
    However, the layoffs are still up in the air, pending contract negotiations. I am wondering if the department would be able to apply "just in case" and then turn it down if it is not needed, OR use it to hire new FFs.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    After reading more into detail, I understand this is a career department and cannot get SAFER for retention.
    However, the layoffs are still up in the air, pending contract negotiations. I am wondering if the department would be able to apply "just in case" and then turn it down if it is not needed, OR use it to hire new FFs.
    Safer can & has ben used in just the situation you are describing. The funding can be used to rehire or prevent the layoffs :::IF there is a drop below minimum staffing standards per nfpa.

Read the Program guidance carefully to see what criteria have to be met. I find it easier to print them off and then use a highlighter to underline the appropriate sections to refer to when you are writing a grant app. The window for filing apps opened this week and closes September 17th, so don't waste time getting the facts & figures together to file the Application.

There is a 2 year window of funding available for these positions. A successful app will need to show how the community is going to fund these positions after the federal money runs out. Otherwise the grant dollars are being used to fix a long term problem for a short period of time.

If you have any more questions , ask away there are several folks in the forum grant section with a lot of experience writing these apps.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by islandfire03 View Post
    Safer can & has ben used in just the situation you are describing. The funding can be used to rehire or prevent the layoffs :::IF there is a drop below minimum staffing standards per nfpa.

Read the Program guidance carefully to see what criteria have to be met. I find it easier to print them off and then use a highlighter to underline the appropriate sections to refer to when you are writing a grant app. The window for filing apps opened this week and closes September 17th, so don't waste time getting the facts & figures together to file the Application.

There is a 2 year window of funding available for these positions. A successful app will need to show how the community is going to fund these positions after the federal money runs out. Otherwise the grant dollars are being used to fix a long term problem for a short period of time.

If you have any more questions , ask away there are several folks in the forum grant section with a lot of experience writing these apps.
    Yes, these guys are within the parameters of SAFER.

Their situation is 11 guys, all with over 1 year on.
    They received their Layoff notices on August 9th 2010.
    Their last day is September 30, 2010.

These notices are not set in stone, as their are still 2 budget meetings coming up in mid-september and the union is still negotiation concessions with the city, so these layoffs may not happen.
    However, it doesn't hurt to apply...right?

Currently, there are 17 vacant positions on the department that have left through attrition.
    If the department were to apply for SAFER, not layoff the 11, and then receive the grant, could the money THEN be used to begin filling some of the 17 spots??

Forum Member

No more needed
    Last edited by Deluge059; 03-24-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Deluge059 View Post
    Yes, these guys are within the parameters of SAFER.

Currently, there are 17 vacant positions on the department that have left through attrition.
    If the department were to apply for SAFER, not layoff the 11, and then receive the grant, could the money THEN be used to begin filling some of the 17 spots??
    Rehiring laid off workers and hiring additional new members to fill out the shifts are two separate distinct issues that would need to be addressed individually. If they apply for "rehire of laid off personnel, I don't believe the funding could be used for new hires if the layoffs don't take place.

There are different requirements for new hires such as a requirement to fund the new positions into the future after the federal dollars go away.

I'm not the expert on the differences between the two. Maybe get in contact with Kurt Bradley [ KTB ] through his PM. He is always on the grants forum and he is the guru that teaches us all to write better AFG applications. He is located in Florida. I'm sure he could explain your options more in depth.
    Good luck

Thread Information