Forum Member

Lightbulb Thermal Imaging Cameras

I am trying to put together a well thought out and useful TIC training class for my shift. I planned on doing classroom instruction on how to use them, options, and displays on the two types we have. We have a Bullard TIx and an MSA Evolution 5600. I know everyone on shift knows how to use them but I want to refresh everyone. I also wanted to educate them on the newer advancements TICs now have available. I want to do field training to let them see real fire for those newer guys that have not seen much of that. Our tower can only be smoked up and not burned in. All I can think of is burning in 55 gallon drums to let them see the fire. Does anyone have ideas I could use? Places I could get good material on this topic? etc.?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne855 View Post
    I am trying to put together a well thought out and useful TIC training class for my shift. I planned on doing classroom instruction on how to use them, options, and displays on the two types we have. We have a Bullard TIx and an MSA Evolution 5600. I know everyone on shift knows how to use them but I want to refresh everyone. I also wanted to educate them on the newer advancements TICs now have available. I want to do field training to let them see real fire for those newer guys that have not seen much of that. Our tower can only be smoked up and not burned in. All I can think of is burning in 55 gallon drums to let them see the fire. Does anyone have ideas I could use? Places I could get good material on this topic? etc.?
    Use Kitchen stove burners on high with or BBQ to show heat signatures.

Look at glass, stainless steel, shiny plastic, tile etc and see what you see in the screen. If your kitchen stove has a stainless backplate, show the reflection of the fire and explain how you can be fooled into thinking where a fire is in a kitchen where there are are alot of stainless appliances.

MembersZone Subscriber

Send me a P.M. with an email address and I'll send ya some TIC training I've got.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Thank you fellas for the help. I will definately use the great ideas.

Forum Member

Also try hot and cold water in the sink. And find a propane tank you can look at to determine the level of product inside.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Put a couple of drops of cooking oil in hot or cold water and look at water with the tic. Makes circles that seem to be floating in air. While looking at water with the tic put your hand in the water. Shows how tic will not work through water. If you have access to a walk in freezer have someone walk in while others use tic. The image of the person very white. Then have a person walk into a hot room and image will be a shade of grey or black. Smoke the tower up and place containers of hot or cold water and see if they can find all of them. Just play with the tic so that you know what you might be looking at when the real call comes in.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne855 View Post
    Use a cut off 30# pail in a steel enclosure if you have access to one. Build a SMALL(campfire like)fire in the pail. IF you can enclose it on three sides with roofing sheet steel or the like you will be able to see the heat layering to some extent. Half full propane tank is a good look too. T.C,

Forum Member

Talking

For a great search drill, take a chemical hot pack or two wrapped up in a pair of old socks with a length of string tied to them.
    When the search team is ready at the door, have someone drag them through a bedroom stopping every few feet long enough to leave a heat imprint on the floor mimicking a small child trying to escape. Then toss them under a bed or in a closet and turn the search team loose to find the victim. Not a huge heat source , but enough of an imprint to follow the trail with a TI camera
    Same can be used for outside training drill to simulate a victim from a car crash that stumbled off through the woods.

Don't forget to have the camera crews look at themselves in a mirror image so they get used to that also.

Forum Member

Biggest thing that we have found with TIC training is that its hardly ever done under realistic conditions. We find guys get used to looking for the white object (the victim) instead of the dark object in a real fire. It's important to remind guys that victims will normally not be the hottest thing in the fire room.

Suggestions in posts above are good.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default All excellent ideas guys.

I think the biggest thing to impress about TIC is the fact the hotter things show brighter and everything is relative (i.e. in a fire the victim is most likely not the hottest thing or vise versa, in night time search they are not the coolest).

We have used our TIC in search of a person who rolled their vehicle and walked away about 50 yards and collapsed in a bean field during a no moon night. I like the propane idea never even considered it. Another area we have use the TIC is locating hot wall outlets and looking at the breaker panel to locate trouble circuits.

Thread Information