Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Lightbulb Thermal Imaging Camera Training

I am trying to put together a well thought out and useful TIC training class for my shift. I planned on doing classroom instruction on how to use them, options, and displays on the two types we have. We have a Bullard TIx and an MSA Evolution 5600. I know everyone on shift knows how to use them but I want to refresh everyone. I also wanted to educate them on the newer advancements TICs now have available. I want to do field training to let them see real fire for those newer guys that have not seen much of that. Our tower can only be smoked up and not burned in. All I can think of is burning in 55 gallon drums to let them see the fire. Does anyone have ideas I could use? Places I could get good material on this topic? etc.?

Forum Member

Crank down the A/c in the firehouse and turn up the hot water heater. Take them in the locker room, shut off the lights and let the shower run for a while on the hotest setting. You can see the conversion really well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by laddercompany20 View Post
    Crank down the A/c in the firehouse and turn up the hot water heater. Take them in the locker room, shut off the lights and let the shower run for a while on the hotest setting. You can see the conversion really well.
    salesman smoke and mirrors. Try this little exercise. Its intent is to get them to interpret what they need to be looking for might not be white. you can incorporate another training aspect to get their mind to working.

We did this in summer so the AC was on in the bunkroom. Take a small section of rope and place it in the bunkroom on a coat hook and turn out the lights. Have a person with a pair of gloves on go into the room and find the rope. It will show up white on the wall. Have them hand you the TIC and with the gloves on tie a assigned knot (bowline, fig-8, etc). Once they do have them to hand you the knot and you give them the TIC. Before you do ask them if they remember what the rope looked like when they came in the room. Hold the knot up in front of you and ask them the color of the rope. It is now black. Tic's see in representation to the temp around them in the white/black aspect. The point is to get them to see that, yes in a training environment a victim will be hotter than their surrounding. However if the victim is in a heated room of 100 degrees or more, they may actually appear darker than the surroundings.

Try that and you will get them to thinking.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?Ē (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Thread Information