Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Thumbs up Snohomish County Fire District 1

The closing date for SCFD1 is August 31st, 2010. Anyone have any info to share. I have heard nothing but great things about the department and I'm excited for the prospect of joining. Does anyone know how the written is weighted? I took the written this month and felt good about it. Good luck to everyone in the coming months and be safe out there.

J
    Last edited by alaskafire1; 08-22-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

Anyone heard anything?

Forum Member

I have not heard anything yet. Has anyone heard anything?

MembersZone Subscriber

they have had about 600 people apply so it could be a bit still

Forum Member

Thanks Buffingtonc, are you an applicant or current department member?

Forum Member

I got a letter basically saying that around 600 people applied and they are still currently reviewing the applications and if you are to move on you will be contacted before October 1st.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya i got that same letter.. and to answer you question alaskafire in am not a member there but would like to be.. lol.. i dont know how many firefighters vs firefighter paramedics they are taking so out of that 600 ish i would have to assume that most are firefighters..? is anyone else a paramedic? dose anyone know how many they are taking?

Forum Member

I got that letter as well, haven't heard anything new.

Forum Member

Buffingtonc are you a paramedic?

Forum Member

Well alaskafire1 it looks like I was not selected to move on. Today is the 1st and no letter. Hope you get better news than me!

Forum Member

Same here, did anyone hear anything or has anyone spoke with HR?

Forum Member

No call or letter for me either.

MembersZone Subscriber

SEAEV09 I am a medic. And still haven't heard anything as of today.

Forum Member

SCFD1 is in the process of doing a functional consolidation/merge with Snohomish County Fire District 7 (Mill Creek/Clearview/Bothell area).

SCFD7 has an EMS levy measure on the ballot for November, the result of which will potentially dictate whether SCFD1 hires from this process. If the levy fails, there will likely be layoffs.

They (District 1) will likely be giving preference to filling their open spots with laid off IAFF firefighters from around the state.

MembersZone Subscriber

powerhourcoug did you talk to someone from snohomish how did you find out this information? my letter said we should hear something by Oct. 1

Forum Member

powerhourcoug is correct in what he is saying!

Forum Member

Last edited by SEAEVO9; 10-03-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Forum Member

Thank you powerhourcoug, I have been following the merger and levy talks and would like to share a little info that I came across and how it seems to be affecting the recruitment process.

As I am sure most people are aware, 1 & 7 are currently discussing merger. 7's current EMS funding is set to expire at the end of this year (basically, a six year tax levy that must me voted on to continue ALS services). If the tax levy fails to reach the 60% needed to pass then it will leave 7 short several million dollars. This is the second time that 7 has put this to the voters (the previous vote ended up with 58.8% rather then the 60% needed). District 7 says they are doing everything they can to get the word out about how important this levy is. Basically this means that several career firefighters and paramedics are in jeopardy of losing their jobs and both districts want to see how it plays out before they move forward with a merger and, subsequently, additional hiring. With everything that is going on between the two districts it seems like the recruitment process has been put on the back burner (and rightly so in my opinion). Taking a test and being caught in hiring limbo is better than going through the whole process and finding out that the district can't support the position. If you get anything from this then it should be that there is still a chance of being picked up. Also, nobody wants to see people lose their jobs and if that means taking a step back from the recruitment process to allow the departments to focus on securing funding then I would support that. (Also I don't really have a choice so it's important to stay positive!)

The levy vote takes place on November 2nd and instead of becoming discouraged it's a good time to get educated about the events that are taking place in the department you would like to work for. Time to keep training and if you live in the district, see what you can do to help the district secure votes on such a vital proposition.

Please correct any information that may be wrong. I have spoken to few people with 1 and 7 plus what I read in the papers but I would hate to pass along bad info.
    Last edited by alaskafire1; 10-03-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buffingtonc View Post
    powerhourcoug did you talk to someone from snohomish how did you find out this information? my letter said we should hear something by Oct. 1
    Let's just say that PHC has a little "insider information".

If you want the job, get involved too. Contact the fire department and their union and see how you can help get these levies passed. They need volunteers I'll bet to go door to door, make phone calls or hang signs.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAEVO9 View Post
    I wish fire departments would stop putting on tests if they dont plan on hiring from them. I understand its a tough time for departments, but its also a tough time for potential recruits. Why cant they wait until they know for sure if their hiring before putting on a test and making us pay 40-60 dollars for a test, if they never use it. Also, thats why I hate going through National Testing Network and Public Safety Testing because honestly they seem very shady to me and dont let you know if a department plans on hiring half the time.
    Sorry these cities are inconveniencing you. You can always choose to not take the test.

Why can't they wait? You've been through a couple processes already, right? They tend to take a little while to prepare for. A city normally needs to have a current hiring list established for when the go ahead is given to hire.

Suck it up. It's just one of the many hoops you have to jump through to get the badge.

Thread Information