Thread: Front page pic

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    I hope those vest where fire rated.

People on these boards all the time talk about how benefits will be denied if they are not up to NFPA standards. So with that said, where are all the people saying that now?

Fire departments are taking this vest thing way to far. I understand they have a time and a place. We are exempt for "chance" of Fire, Hazmat, or EMS.

I think we need to enforce the gear we already have. If everyone wears their coats, whats the difference. Don't they have the same reflective striping? The striping is better on gear than some of the cheap vests I see floating around that Departments bought a Walmart.

Everyone can start their whining with me about not wearing vest, and "I want to go home at the end of my shift". What are you going to do when your face is burned and you couldn't open you eyes because a vest flared up?

I guess my point is USE COMMON SENSE with them. Stay safe.
    Brother, you beat me to it. If my SCBA is on there is no way in HELL I am wearing my vest. I know for a fact they are not fire rated and hence should not be anywhere near fire operations, including standing by on a protective line. Overzealous safety is causing more danger to the firefighters than it relieves.

Frankly, if those guys were operating on a highway how about shutting down the road? If the load is dangerous enough we have pulled hoselines why would you want traffic passing right next to it?
    Last edited by FyredUp; 09-02-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

vests aside.....1 of the 3 does not have a pack....also all 3 are standing in some type of product.........I haven't seen the article yet so I can't comment any more.
    Last edited by pasobuff; 09-02-2010 at 08:13 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Doesn't matter when the Chief arrived...white helmets and ties exempt you from harm. JEEEZ, I thought everyone knew that!!
    I gotta WEAR a tie?????? T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    See no one tells you this stuff when they give you the white helmet!

God, now I gotta shopping!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Originally Posted by MassFireGuy
    I hope those vest where fire rated.

People on these boards all the time talk about how benefits will be denied if they are not up to NFPA standards. So with that said, where are all the people saying that now?

Fire departments are taking this vest thing way to far. I understand they have a time and a place. We are exempt for "chance" of Fire, Hazmat, or EMS.

I think we need to enforce the gear we already have. If everyone wears their coats, whats the difference. Don't they have the same reflective striping? The striping is better on gear than some of the cheap vests I see floating around that Departments bought a Walmart.

Everyone can start their whining with me about not wearing vest, and "I want to go home at the end of my shift". What are you going to do when your face is burned and you couldn't open you eyes because a vest flared up?

I guess my point is USE COMMON SENSE with them. Stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Brother, you beat me to it. If my SCBA is on there is no way in HELL I am wearing my vest. I know for a fact they are not fire rated and hence should not be anywhere near fire operations, including standing by on a protective line. Overzealous safety is causing more danger to the firefighters than it relieves.

Frankly, if those guys were operating on a highway how about shutting down the road? If the load is dangerous enough we have pulled hoselines why would you want traffic passing right next to it?
    Testify, Brothers, testify!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post

When's the last time you washed your gear? How often do you think most people do in a firefighter culture that requires the dirtiest gear possible in order to avoid being called a P****? Striping doesn't matter a damn if there's 10 years of structure fires on it.

Moreover, the striping is NOT the same. The whole point to the vest is the arrangement of the stripes enforces the impression of a human form when nothing else is visible EXCEPT the striping. Speaking from personal experience passing through an unlit area, seeing the striping from a Class II vest, and instantly recognizing that there was a person there before the fact that it was a vest even registered.

I agree though that if they're worried enough about fire to be on air, the vests should be on the truck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    When's the last time you washed your gear? How often do you think most people do in a firefighter culture that requires the dirtiest gear possible in order to avoid being called a P****? Striping doesn't matter a damn if there's 10 years of structure fires on it.

Moreover, the striping is NOT the same. The whole point to the vest is the arrangement of the stripes enforces the impression of a human form when nothing else is visible EXCEPT the striping. Speaking from personal experience passing through an unlit area, seeing the striping from a Class II vest, and instantly recognizing that there was a person there before the fact that it was a vest even registered.

I agree though that if they're worried enough about fire to be on air, the vests should be on the truck.

Maybe yes,maybe no.SOME Fire companies use the Hi viz trim on their GEAR which equals or exceeds the vest standard. AND some companies don't burn the trim off in five or even ten years. Like ANY standard it is very subjective and interpretations can be varied. I view the vests as an aid,NOT a cure all. Signage,vehicle placement and secondary indicators(cone zones)all contribute. But the ONLY way you're reasonably safe is CLOSE the road. T.C.

Forum Member

Refers to Chiefs, industry "experts" and management types. Sorry for the confusion...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pvfd27 View Post
    Refers to Chiefs, industry "experts" and management types. Sorry for the confusion...
    OK,That leaves me 2 for 3. I still ain't doing the "choker". T.C.

Forum Member

how about this front page story on firehouse.

http://www.firehouse.com/showcase/ph...ond-house-fire

View the 2nd picture!

I am all for safety and using proper PPE. However the key word is proper. A non fire rated traffic safety vest is not the proper PPE if you have to be in SCBA. If the risk is present that you must wear an airpack and full structural turn-out gear why are you worried about traffic. If traffic whilie working in the "hot zone" is a concern then you have not controled the scene properly.

I can wear a vest all day long and dance in the middle of I-95 dodging cars left and right. In the end the vest is not going to do anything for me. However proper truck placement, establishment of work areas, upstream warning devices are going to be what keeps me safe whilie i waltz in the fast lane. The vest is the last line of defense between me and the traffic!

I personally think that the newer vest standards are not overly written. The proper requirments and exceptions are in place. The problem lies with the culture that has developed around them.

Forum Member

I wash mine quarterly whether it needs it or not.

The vest is the last resort when it comes to avoiding interaction between motor vehicles and humans.

Blocking the lane or the entire road is the best thing to do.

I respond to all incident on the two highways that transect my faire city. When I arrive, I park the car 200 to 300 feet away from the scene, point the nose of the vehicle in the direction I wish to divert ther traffic into, put on the vest and walk away.

I was asked by one of our City Councilors why I did that... the taxpayers paid for the vehicle...

My answer was "Councilor, I am protecting my personnel, who are also taxpayers"....

His response ( after five seconds of silence)... "Thank you!"
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 09-04-2010 at 08:35 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    I wash mine quarterly whether it needs it or not.
    Good. Glad to see there's at least someone out there who doesn't buy into the dirty is better method of comparing genitalia.

Blocking the lane or the entire road is the best thing to do.
    No argument there Dep. But even the construction guys working behind Jersey barriers are wearing them. We've got no special immunity to metal.
    Last edited by emt161; 09-04-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Member

arg disregard

Forum Member

Good. Glad to see there's at least someone out there who doesn't buy into the dirty is better method of comparing genitalia.

No argument there Dep. But even the construction guys working behind Jersey barriers are wearing them. We've got no special immunity to metal.
    NOT unless you INSTALL it. While not impossible. there will be a LOT of torn iron to get to our personnel. I'm pretty sure a Jersey barrier will move before a 46,000# Engine does. T.C.

Forum Member

If your a true advocate of safety, then get rid of these new "blinding" LED lights that are all over any new vehicle. They are so bright that the on-comming traffic can't see anything or anyone (regardless of how many vests you are wearing). As far as the vests go, park the apparatus so that you CAN'T get hit. Work in this safe zone. Wear your PPE. That is the safest protection against a distracted driver. Your vest DOES NOT protect you against someone who is texting, talking, or looking away. The fire service should be advocating proper highway parking procedures. Slow the traffic down. Create a safe zone. Get rid of LED lights on fire apparatus. Keep it simple.

If they need to wear SCBA, they should not have a vest on. "What if" it lights up and the vests melt or flash????

Forum Member

Originally Posted by emt161
    Good. Glad to see there's at least someone out there who doesn't buy into the dirty is better method of comparing genitalia
    Some of the biggest "boobs" in the fire service wear the filthiest, crappiest falling apart PPE... some of them have never been in a real fire, but "season" their stuff over a burn barrel to "get the look"....
    Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 09-05-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

When's the last time you removed your entire uniform, including pants, shirt, and shoes after a shift before returning home? Do you launder your ems uniform in your home washing machine? If you wear your uniform home, or launder it in your home washer, you have no right to throw stones or make assumptions about others.

I wash my gear, from my career FD, my volunteer FD, and from the tech college I teach for whenever it is dirty. Sometimes that might mean every month for some of it, and sometimes it may mean not for 6 months or more. If I don't catch a fire or I am not teaching live fire training why do i need to wash my gear?

I was so fanatical about not spreading to my family whatever I ran into on a call that I NEVER wear my uniform home from the career FD and if i catch a fire on my volly FD my clothes goes right into the washer and I shower before I let my family touch me. Are YOU that careful?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

But the ONLY way you're reasonably safe is CLOSE the road. T.C.
    This.

If you are not closing off the road, vehicle placement is paramount. Well, it paramount no matter what.

Forum Member

Think I MENTIONED that in the same post. But I'm not dealing with a TENTH of the traffic YOU are. And I really don't mind that. T.C.

Forum Member

Think I MENTIONED that in the same post. But I'm not dealing with a TENTH of the traffic YOU are. And I really don't mind that. T.C.
    You did mention it. Sorry I got lazy with the cut and pasting. Excellent points, though.

Thread Information