Forum Member

Default LDH Hose Reels/Vacuum Tankers

I'm looking to put together a new long-term plan to replace/up-grade equipment in my department. Part one involves improving our water supply capabilities with an eye toward improving ISO. My goal is to move our rural area to an 8B class or better.

We have NO public water supplies to work with and are short on personnel, so efficiency is paramount. We have to haul every drop of water we use, be it wildland or structure fire. Our primary structural rig is a 2500 gallon/1000 gpm pumper/tanker. It IS equipped with a deck gun.

Do any of you have experience with either the LDH reel trucks or the vacuum tanker that are available now? If so, what are the pros and cons of each. On the reel trucks, what is the practical limit on 5 or 6 inch hose in length of lay and how much is practical to be carried on such a truck. On the vacuum truck, would one be better served with a large fire pump (1000-1500 gpm) instead of the vacuum unit or in addition to it?

Thanks for any help that can be provided. I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the 'net about these.

MembersZone Subscriber

You need to go over to the Appartus Innovation area. Many threads on both subject.

You're in same water situationa my dept. We've heavily used DOD surplus for equipment. If you work the system you can find most anything you may need in vehicles/equipment. In Texas easy to use (thru your state forester) with many many bases.

Forum Member

Poorboy,

Contact Tx Forestry about equipment. They have a program that might help you out with equipment.

Also, I used to work with LDH reels. They really dont work well, and a flat load is better in the long run.

JT (Houston)

Thread Information