Thread: Plant 42

Forum Member

Default Plant 42

Any news on Plant 42 going GS? I got wind of this a little while ago and was seeing if anyone has any information.

Forum Member

Hope so !!!!!

Forum Member

It would be interesting if a base that is essentially in place for Contractors to be taken over by GS Fire. Who is covering it now? Boeing?
    I know WSI got all the NASA bases, don't know if that covers 42 as well.

Forum Member

It has already happened! Navy Region Northwest Bangor Sub Base was contract and went back to Federal Firefighters (GS)

Forum Member

I did some research... Looks like the current FIREFIGHTERS are fighting the conversion at plant 42 because they say that 90% of the department will not be able to convert to the GS system.

google plant 42 fire dept.
    Last edited by USAFfiredog; 08-25-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: im a loser.. ha ha

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    It would be interesting if a base that is essentially in place for Contractors to be taken over by GS Fire. Who is covering it now? Boeing?
    I know WSI got all the NASA bases, don't know if that covers 42 as well.
    Pyramid services or something like that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFfiredog View Post
    fire dogs.
    I never met a Fire Fighter that willingly called himself that. Everyone i knew used to cringe every time the CE commander (only people out side of fire protection used this term) dropped this moniker at a CC.

You're a brave man.

Forum Member

It's a Stupid Air Force Term!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XFedFF View Post
    It's a Stupid Air Force Term!
    fire dogs are what trainees called themselves at the fire academy. once they arrived at their first base, they quickly realized that the colored rope they wore and the silly chants were moot. ce commanders and ce first sergeants still call usaf firefighters 'fire dogs' because there are still like eight people out there that never caught on to reality and spread the 'fire dog' crap around.

Forum Member

Trainees do not know what to expect when they get to the Fire Academy! They did not give themselves this term as you say! Trainees were given that term when they got there! It is the Air Force Leadership and Fire Academy that keep the Stupid Term alive!

Forum Member

Trainees do not know what to expect when they get to the Fire Academy! They did not give themselves this term as you say! Trainees were given that term when they got there! It is the Air Force Leadership and Fire Academy that keep the Stupid Term alive!
    i never said they give themselves that term, but that's what they call themselves.

i do agree with you, however, that the school keeps it alive. although, every instructor i have talked to say it's the most obnoxious thing.. the "fire dog" label, the mindless chants, and so on.

Forum Member

I've was at 7 assignments during my AF career, and several deployed locations. And at every one of them there was some guy that had to be called a fire dawg (notice the spelling). This was usually the same guy that carried his badge around in his wallet and would /always/ wear his station shirt out.

Nothing wrong with being proud, just so long as it's not cheesy

Forum Member

I know they did interviews and selection for the Fire Chief, Deputy Chief, and A/C of OPS as GS civil service. It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The DoD says it's insourcing, but it seems like they are playing hardball with the contract company to get a lower contract price.

Forum Member

It looks like DOD Firefighters are still LOW BID!

Forum Member

Do you think it's cheaper to pay GS employees (including pay, locality, insurance, retirement, etc) or contract employees (flat rate paid to company and company divides money for employees)? I'm not arguing, it's just an overhead question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShredddinCali View Post
    Do you think it's cheaper to pay GS employees (including pay, locality, insurance, retirement, etc) or contract employees (flat rate paid to company and company divides money for employees)? I'm not arguing, it's just an overhead question.

I work at Plant 42 Fire and it is my understanding that the cost savings will be about 2% over a five year period. It is also my understanding that in order to save money with the GS system, the manpower will have to go from 16 down to 14. You also have to remember that being an Air Force Base, they will require a haz mat team. So add the cost of a haz mat truck and the equipment. You can find the info double online and double check my info, as I am going entirely from memory.

Forum Member

The contract firefighters at Plant 42 are more than willing to take a pay cut
    in order to keep their jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USAFfiredog View Post
    Pyramid services or something like that.
    I work at Plant 42 and Pyramid Services is the current contract. I also work at Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Wackenhut (WSI) is indeed the contract at the NASA sites.

Plant 42 has several aerospace companies that have their own fire brigades or prevention teams. NASA, Boeing, Lockheed and Northrop all have dedicated fire prevention programs. Northrop also has a dedicated fire brigade. I believe their are only about 10 gs employees on the entire base. Everyone else is employed by pyramid or one of the aerospace companies.

Forum Member

I hope that all Plant 42 Firefighters meet the hiring requirements of DOD! I have seen Contract Firefighters laid off and not offered DOD jobs cause they were too old or other reasons.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Good News.....

arff42, good to read from you again..... Thought you may have jumped of the planet. LOL.

Hope all is well..... I'm gonna shoot ya an I.M.
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyboy View Post
    arff42, good to read from you again..... Thought you may have jumped of the planet. LOL.

Hope all is well..... I'm gonna shoot ya an I.M.
    I sent you a private message.

Thread Information