MembersZone Subscriber

Default R&R destinations

There was a thread awhile back about where to go on R&R but there wasn't a lot of feedback. For those of you who have been over to the sand box where did you go for your R&R? If you went to the states how much did it end up running you? And if you went elsewhere or have heard of great places to go please throw those out there too. Thanks.

Forum Member

Thailand is a pretty popular place for some of the guys. Some go for the fight camps, some go for the cheap beer, and some go for the girls.
    I've never been, but i approved a lot of RR projections with that destination on it.

Forum Member

I've always came home due to family and youngsters. Once it cost me 1,100 and the other it was 1,600, depends on time of year and what not as far as ticket price goes. I also always booked my own travel because i wanted a certain flight. Might be cheaper if you go with alot less specifics then i had done. I've had other buddies go to a bunch of different places tho depends on what you wanna see and if you go on R&R with other from your base. Australia was always a no go because of time travel. Would almost lose a whole day because of it. Just personal preference on what you want to see.

Forum Member

Have not been to the sand box but have been to Athens which was great heard parts of India are neat to visit

Forum Member

Don't know if this has been posted on here yet, but in reference to travel there is something that you /must/ do:

Get your delta sky miles account NOW!

Fly the delta 7 as much as you can. After a few trips on that bad boy you can upgrade to first class with little money invested on your part.

MembersZone Subscriber

First, agree on the Delta Miles as I have over 200K air miles currently...been saving them for a big trip.

Second, as I said on a previous thread, if you can buy your own ticket, do it. I know travel dates have to be flexible due to certain locations of bases and no assurance of being at your departing location due to sand storms (IRQ) or snow storms (Afghan) but if you buy your ticket far enough ahead of time it will be cheaper.

I used to spend hours on RnR travel, searching for the cheap tickets and I found that if I bought my ticket far enough in advance from Delta website, it was always cheaper than any of the discount sites later on. Plus, when you buy direct, you get to pick your seat right then and there (so no middle seats...usually bulk head or emergency exit). Should you not get the seat you want, your fare class is rated higher so you will be moved to a more desirable seat upon request, long before the 200 other people on the plane who let the company buy their ticket.

Now as far as destinations...if you have no restrictions, go live it up! It all depends on what you are looking for of course but some of my fun trips have been to Philippines, Thailand, Amsterdam, Jamaica, Canada and multiple cruises all over the Caribbean. In addition to these trips, I also took trips in the US as well...camped in Maine several times, went to Boston, and did several multi state road trips with the family.

Some friends of mine have done Costa Rica, Kenya, Fiji, Nepal, Israel, Jordan, Australia and New Zealand.

Fiji sounds very exciting as it is very cheap. A medic friend of mine is currently there and got a great package deal along with some great diving every day.

Do your homework and if you decide to travel, make the best of it. There are girls and bars everywhere you go, so please do not get hung up on the debauchery in Thailand. It is a beautiful country, especially if you get out of Pattaya and see the countryside and enjoy the culture. I showed pictures to dozens of guys who have been to Thailand 4 x or more and they had no clue half the stuff I showed them was mere miles from their usual stomping ground.

Thread Information