Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Scott Pack Tracker

Looking for information / experience with Scott Pack Tracker devices. What can be expected for monitoring effectiveness with operations in an industrial or "Big Box" setting. Does the type of building construction have an effect on the distance from the RIT / Monitoring location. Would it be necessary to set up the monitoring location inside the "Hot Zone" for large industrial operations? Just looking for some input from anyone with experience using this device.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KuhShise View Post
    Looking for information / experience with Scott Pack Tracker devices. What can be expected for monitoring effectiveness with operations in an industrial or "Big Box" setting. Does the type of building construction have an effect on the distance from the RIT / Monitoring location. Would it be necessary to set up the monitoring location inside the "Hot Zone" for large industrial operations? Just looking for some input from anyone with experience using this device.
    Here is a big clue. Do you have problems of radios transmitting in these environments? If so this thing will be of little use. I was going to prove this in a factory a couple of years ago. I am aquainted with the Scott Rep here and knew the shortcomings of the product. I was showing this to my shift in preparations in testing it at a local factory that we have trouble transmitting out of due to all the RF issues when the Scott Rep came in and saw me with the units, he couldn't wait 1hr to do the testing. Keep in mind that it is a VERY small transmitter (output should be realized due to the battery size) mounted low on the firefighter, add in crawling. Now add in RF from the facilities you come in contact with and it doesn't take long to see the benefit of saving your money.
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Default currently have it

My department recieved a grant a few years back to replace all of our air packs. When we did this with the fierce competition between air pack makers we were able to get scott to include all of their systems into the air packs we wanted including the Pak tracker. Now as everyone should know any tool in the tool box is useful, that being said the above person is correct there are some short falls to the product. When we first got the system we tested it in a school we placed a firefighter fairly deep into the school and activated the pass device the firefighter called the mayday however the pack tracker reciever was not going off. This being said we cant forget our normal RIT techniques, so the rit crew proceeded into the building towards the last known location of the FF. As they got into the building the pak tracker started alerting, the crew began to use the pack tracker from that point on and found the firefighter a lot quicker than regular search techniques would have allowed them to. So yes it doesn't always work to the command post or to the front door but eventually when you come within range it definatly aids in finding the firefighter quicker. That being said if you have the money its not a bad thing to have every tool helps is it somthing i would go above and beyond to buy over something more usefull no.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    Here is a big clue. Do you have problems of radios transmitting in these environments? If so this thing will be of little use. I was going to prove this in a factory a couple of years ago. I am aquainted with the Scott Rep here and knew the shortcomings of the product. I was showing this to my shift in preparations in testing it at a local factory that we have trouble transmitting out of due to all the RF issues when the Scott Rep came in and saw me with the units, he couldn't wait 1hr to do the testing. Keep in mind that it is a VERY small transmitter (output should be realized due to the battery size) mounted low on the firefighter, add in crawling. Now add in RF from the facilities you come in contact with and it doesn't take long to see the benefit of saving your money.
    Scott Factory Rep of a distributor salesman? If you have POS 800mhz radios that don't work, you can hardly condem all R/Ts and go back to can/string. Do some testing perhaps first.

Logic stream hard to understand here what your point is? You have Paktracker or not? Or you have a bone to pick?

I've played with the equipment some and found it to work quite well. Has been in residence size structures. Have not used in a large building. Not that hard to get a Scott Factory Rep or a Distributor Rep to bring equipment out for test/evaluation. If you don't use a cell phone turn the crank on wall phone. We need grant $ to buy such equipment.

I see in ad in current "Fire Chief" that Scott has a new TIC with Paktracker built in. Neat idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks to each of you that contributed to this thread. We were trying to decide upon the purchase of this feature on a rolling replacement schedule for 30+ packs over the next 3 years. Your contributions made it easier and confirmed the wisdom of spending the extra money for these devices. What we learned about the system is that if you place the device near large metal walls or floors, the signal is attenuated. The first test was run with the alarming pack lying on steel grating and surrounded on 2 sides with metal walls. Subsequent testing in our concrete training tower and residential locations was quite satisfactory. SFD2674, thanks for the description of your use. It re-enforced my feelings and put to rest the objections of other committee members who thought this should be a method of constantly monitoring everyone in the fire building, instead of functioning as an emergency locator aid when something is wrong. Based upon all of your inputs, we purchased the first 10 packs in September and have just issued a second P.O. for another 10 packs. Thanks again for your help.

Forum Member

no problem!!! glad I could be of assistance ... if you dont mind me asking what spec did you go with on the packs?

MembersZone Subscriber

Did you have your Scott rep demo their new 320TIC with Paktracker built in? Very very slick idea to integrate such for RIT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gentlemen: We purchased the AP75 with 45 minute cylinders and the new "Sure Seal" face pieces. The second set of 10 packs is now on order, and due for deliver by Feb. 1st. The Pak-Tracker with the TIC was not available when the first order was submitted, and we have a TIC that is only 6 mo old. The plan is to purchase 10 packs per year for the next 2 years, with the final purchase to include the tracker with the TIC on the last purchase. Thanks again for your input.

Forum Member

Default Another tool in the tool bag...

As someone said earlier, you can't abandon your basic RIT tactics because this device has its short falls, portable radios can interfere with the device and depending on the building and its contents there can be a lot of interference also. We have used it extensively in our department with mixed results. Remember that the transmitter signal will reflect off:
    • Metal, including structural framework
    • Large metal objects,
    • Concrete walls or floors,
    • Brick or concrete block construction.
    Also the Transmitter signal will be absorbed by:
    The Human Body
    I think it’s a great concept that needs to be improved. Using it along with TIC and good basic tactics is your best approach.

Thread Information