Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default No Leathers?!

Stuck in rut? Depts taking away your tradition? Fire Departments picking up the EMS service? Not allowed to wear Leather Helmets any more?

WELL CHANGE IS NOW! Change Departments! It's never been a better time to do so! You will get that age old traditional feeling of being treated like a probie! That will pop the tradition right back into your career! Why worry about the leather helmet when they will issue a brand new plastic one!

No tradition in the fire service.....never been a better time to be a police officer...
    "FBHF"

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What do Cops and Firefighters have in common? They BOTH WANT To be FIREFIGHTERS!"

"I love the Police Officers have firefighters to look up to..."

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    I hate to say "I Told You So", but as I expected this discussion devolved from "How to retain our Leathers" to judt plain "Leathers". And that's not a bad thing.
    You are correct o' wise one.

I figured I may as well make something positive with it.

I'm working on that snotty attitude I have.
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    You are correct o' wise one.

I figured I may as well make something positive with it.

I'm working on that snotty attitude I have.
    Oh PLEASE don't. It goes so nicely with my nasty attitude.We're issueing 1044's to the troops. The Brass,5 of the 6 of us wear Leather. Here,if it meets or EXCEEDS Dept issue,you can have it as long as you want to buy it. As long as it is the right color and style. No PINK tu-tu's or anything else that makes you stick out like a skunk in the fog. Since there is only ONE guy higher than me on the food chain,leathers will be here for awhile longer. T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Oh PLEASE don't. It goes so nicely with my nasty attitude.
    Too late, I am scheduled to have a snotty-ectomy tomorrow morning while I am on a Flight to Boston.

I can't think of anywhere better to turn over a new leaf.

Too late, I am scheduled to have a snotty-ectomy tomorrow morning while I am on a Flight to Boston.

I can't think of anywhere better to turn over a new leaf.
    Better WAIT 'til you LEAVE Boston,hehe T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    You need to do your own research rather than asking others to do it for you.
    If that's how you feel, please feel free to stop posting here. You are making a name for yourself on a couple of threads.

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    If that's how you feel, please feel free to stop posting here. You are making a name for yourself on a couple of threads.
    My name's just fine here or anywhere else, thank you. Sorry if you only take your answers sugar coated. If it bothers you all that badly, I invite you to introduce yourself to the "ignore" feature.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

The problem with todays fire service is the pace that tradition is being FORCED out. That is why we have smart mouth probies, idiotic training officers, and egotistical chiefs. These attitudes are ABUNDANT on these boards.

Guess what? My job has issued leathers. Guess what? We still operate just fine. Calls still get answered, fires still get put out, and guys still go home at the end of their shifts without any head injuries. Amazing, isn't it?

Tradition is regressive right? We still have street boxes here. They still work just as well as they did in the early 1900's. Fires still get reported VIA street boxes. People run out of their homes and don't have time to grab a cell phone. So they hook a box rather than pounding on neighbors doors in the middle of the night risking them not hearing them or not giving a crap about a door knock at night.

On 9/11 street boxes were one of the only ways to report emergencies with cells down and land lines jammed. Wow, good thing we had such a primitive technology in place.

Did you know in a study, fire poles were rated second safest with stairs being third. Nah lets rip the poles out if houses because its tradition and regressive and impeding the future of the fire service.

You are not the best because you memorized the IFSTA book. You are the best because the men you work with trust you and respect you. Respect is earned not given.

So those of you who say you should find another job if you want tradition, I say YOU FIND ANOTHER JOB. This is the job. The great job in the world. Stop ruining it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    My name's just fine here or anywhere else, thank you. Sorry if you only take your answers sugar coated. If it bothers you all that badly, I invite you to introduce yourself to the "ignore" feature.
    The guy asked for help, just like the other thread. You again, are no help. That's what these boards are for. Helping each other out researching at question or topic you may not know.

You must a real charm at the dinner table

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Oh PLEASE don't. It goes so nicely with my nasty attitude.We're issueing 1044's to the troops. The Brass,5 of the 6 of us wear Leather. Here,if it meets or EXCEEDS Dept issue,you can have it as long as you want to buy it. As long as it is the right color and style. No PINK tu-tu's or anything else that makes you stick out like a skunk in the fog. Since there is only ONE guy higher than me on the food chain,leathers will be here for awhile longer. T.C.
    That's a good policy.

The guy asked for help, just like the other thread. You again, are no help. That's what these boards are for. Helping each other out researching at question or topic you may not know.
    You really ought to read threads before shooting your mouth off. The OP got several pages of help from a variety of posters -- including me.

As I mentioned elsewhere, this forum is for (among other things) looking for help. It isn't unreasonable, however, to expect people to make some good faith effort to find their own answers first instead of coming here immediately to get other people to solve their problems for them.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Hey MASS...

I don't think you understand what has been discussed here. No one is trying to do away with tradition. Basic Economics is doing a pretty good job of causing that by itself.

Like DM stated, many tried to give advice to the OP. He asked a question that had no answer. He had boxed himself in before he investigated the facts. That was no one's fault but his own.

When he misinterpreted the responses, he thought I and others were opposed to leather lids.... If you read the posts, you will find that was BS.

Please get the facts before you start to blast your horn.

******************* Boys... I'm in Boston!

Hey MASS...

I don't think you understand what has been discussed here. No one is trying to do away with tradition. Basic Economics is doing a pretty good job of causing that by itself.

Like DM stated, many tried to give advice to the OP. He asked a question that had no answer. He had boxed himself in before he investigated the facts. That was no one's fault but his own.

When he misinterpreted the responses, he thought I and others were opposed to leather lids.... If you read the posts, you will find that was BS.

Please get the facts before you start to blast your horn.

******************* Boys... I'm in Boston!
    I didn't say you, did I? I think it is fairly obvious if you read some people who posted on this thread. My story is straight.

Welcome to Beantown. Maybe I'll buy you a beer...

MembersZone Subscriber

MassFireGuy would you happen to know how much your department issued leather cost through your department? Is it anywheres close to what we would pay retail?

Forum Member

Besides, leather helmets are for decorating bars, not for modern firefighting.
    Here's one case of a negative comment towards leather helmets, which BTW, the OP didn't ask for opinions on the helmets, just information. That is but one of a couple of opinions that the OP didn't ask for, several made towards tradition. All the OP asked for was help getting information to support his case to his chief that leather helmets are either equal to or better than plastic helmets. He also stated plainly that the chief had said he would give him a chance to present his case to him. Never once did I see anywhere in the original post that the OP had in anyway what soever any inclination to try and trump the chief by going over his head, as has also been stated that a few folks think he is doing. I don't understand why a person can't come on here to get help with something without at least one person reading their post the wrong way and going out of the way to try and make that person feel like they are immature and stupid.

Now, with all that said, this post wasn't really pointed at anyone in particular, but, if you feel tand re-evaluate how you e-read some of your posts and re-evaluate how you e-read some of your posts and re-evaluate how you give folks advice. Talk to me llike a grown man, and I'll respect your opinion and advice more than I will if talked to like a kid. Again, if this strikes a chord with you, then all I can say is, the guilty conscience speaks for its self. Take care and stay safe brothers.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Quote Originally Posted by firefightinirish217 View Post

Now, with all that said, this post wasn't really pointed at anyone in particular, but, if you feel tand re-evaluate how you e-read some of your posts and re-evaluate how you e-read some of your posts and re-evaluate how you give folks advice. Talk to me llike a grown man, and I'll respect your opinion and advice more than I will if talked to like a kid. Again, if this strikes a chord with you, then all I can say is, the guilty conscience speaks for its self. Take care and stay safe brothers.
    Um, HUH? How about in English next time?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    MassFireGuy would you happen to know how much your department issued leather cost through your department? Is it anywheres close to what we would pay retail?
    Pretty sure it close, if not the same, as retail. Uniforms shops and the like are very pricey around here. They know the municipalities pay the bill so there is no real deals. 5.11 pants at one shop around here go for about 10 to 15 dollars more than you can find online. It's a real shame.

The best way to insure you get what you want is to bargain it into your contract. If you want leathers, put it in the contract. You might have to give something up for it, but if the membership feels it's worth it than it is.

Good luck guys.

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I think we all knew what he was getting at.

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I think we all knew what he was getting at.
    Okay, if you say so.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    OK, sorry, I was on a laptop that was being impossible it left out letters and spaces. Here, I'll type it again for you.

If you feel that the last post I made was directed at you, and not you in particular fyred up anyone on this thread, then re-read your posts and re-evaluate how you give folks advice.

It's sad that all you got out of that post was a double copy of a sentence fragment and a misspelling.

Thread Information