Forum Member

Default USMC to FF. Few Q's

Hey all sorry for the three part question. I was wondering, Ive already got my FF1 in Montgomery county MD(Got it before I joined), and I was wondering if that would help me get a job when I get out of the Marines. Ive got about ten months to go and am moving back up to MD. Also, What are the veterans prefernce like in the MD area? Lastly, I got into a bit of trouble when I was like 14, and my record was expunged. Obviously the USMC Knows about it but it is my impression that unless its the Federal Government they cant look at it and I was wondering if It would hinder my chances of getting a job at all?
    Last edited by Icu812; 08-26-2010 at 06:49 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

sent you a pm
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Icu812 View Post
    Hey all sorry for the three part question. I was wondering, Ive already got my FF1 in Montgomery county MD(Got it before I joined), and I was wondering if that would help me get a job when I get out of the Marines. Ive got about ten months to go and am moving back up to MD. Also, What are the veterans prefernce like in the MD area? Lastly, I got into a bit of trouble when I was like 14, and my record was expunged. Obviously the USMC Knows about it but it is my impression that unless its the Federal Government they cant look at it and I was wondering if It would hinder my chances of getting a job at all?
    Never said never. If the background form asks that you disclose any arrest, unless prohibited by law, it would be a good idea to do so. Imagine if they go to your neighbors and say "Was Jimmy a good kid?" and they say "Well, he was except that time he stole a car and got arrested..." If you haven't already explained that to a BI investigator, it might cause problems. Not necesaarily an automatic disqualifier, but in today's hiring enviornment, it could mean the difference between you and the other guy getting hired.

Having any kind of FF experience looks good on a resume. It can't hurt. Some departments require it before applying.

Best of luck, and thanks for your service.

Forum Member

yup, in most places it will/

Forum Member

If it happaned when you were 14, and I assume you are atleast 21-22 if you are getting out in a few months, and I assume it will be with an honorable dischage and positive reenlistment code, your youthful indiscreations will not disqualify you. However if you go up against someone with identical scores, the tie might go to the guy who stayed clean his teenage years during the interview.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information