Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Online EMT course recomendations please?

Can anyone recommend an online school to get my EMT basic cert? Preferably in California but any where will work really.

Thanks

Forum Member

There are plenty of brick and mortar EMT classes > WOULD NOT recomment taking EMT on line. There is so much information to be learned. Once you are finished with your EMT class you will be expected to pass the National Registry course. This is even tougher than your EMT final. You do not want to take any short cuts as many people pass their EMT final but are unable to pass the National Registry.

Forum Member

I would agree with jgraham. Passing the course online is one thing, but the Registry test would probably be difficult. Simply because you are probably doing chapter tests with an open book and not from memory.

I debated whether or not to do EMT-B online or not. For the simple fact that there is so much information, I chose the traditional way. I am currently taking FF I, II & hazmat online.

I was surprised to see how many options there were in my area for EMT-B certification. When I started, I thought only colleges offered this, but there are a number of "institutions" in my area that offer it with better scheduling options.
    Last edited by sachse1; 08-29-2010 at 04:15 PM.

Forum Member

Im not sure of a good online school. What school are you taking FF1 and 2 at? Do the classes allow you to test at the end or do they yeild a cert? Ive been looking for an online school to get certs like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did my FF1 and FF2 and EMT-B through Trainingdivison.com This is a good way to get your emt online. They are out of Crowley TX. You do all your book work online and then you go to their facility/fire station for 1 week 8-5 and do all your skills. You then do your 24hr ride out and 24hr ER shifts. Plan on being there for 1.5 to 2 weeks. They also have a deal with one of the local hotels, I think its $170 for the week. I had 20 people in my class and no one failed the Nat. Reg as far as I know on the first try. I highly recomend this site if its the only way you can do it. Wished I could have done a traditional academy and emt school but there was no way financialy.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be interested to hear if your class really had a 100% pass rate on the National Registry. This is unheard of.
    I am a big advocate of online classes. I earned an AS, Bachelors and a Masters online. Having said that, I believe there is a big difference between learning psychology, history, and geology versus EMT. Since much of medicine is a gut feel, hearing the experience of the instructors is very important. I am not sure if I am sold on online EMT. I would like to hear more about it.....
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

No way to become a an EMT. There are so many classes out there with altmost 24 hour a day schedules. I'm sure there is one that fits into yours. MIne was a rapid 5 weeks 6 hours a day. 100 percent pass on state practical, one failure(by one point) on state written.
    Its the hands on that you need all along. Espically pt. assesment you need to be learning that and adding in cardiac, respitory, allergy, shock and the hands on skills that go with it as your doing it.
    Skip online for this one.

Forum Member

Default Online Training

Quote Originally Posted by ADilwicius View Post
    Can anyone recommend an online school to get my EMT basic cert? Preferably in California but any where will work really.

Thanks
    You can check our online courses at fireskills.com
    Ask for Brandon when you call..
    North East Texas Fire Academy

EMT-Basic.
    Skills include: CPR, bandaging and splinting, traction splints, mechanical aids to breathing (oxygen, bag-mask, suctioning, oral and nasal airways, pocket masks), patient assessment, vital signs, spinal immobilization, automated external defibrillation, pneumatic anti-shock garment, epinephrine auto-injector, nebulized bronchodilators.

Hours of training: 140 minimum.

Certification requirements: Minimum age 18, high school diploma or GED, EMT-Basic skills proficiency verification by training program, state-administered National Registry certification exam, and submit EMS Personnel Certification Application and fee
    Online EMT Classes:

ONLINE EMT 9 WEEKS $1025.00 W/BOOKS OL February 01,2010 April 30,2010
    OL March 01, 2010 May 28, 2010
    OL April 05, 2010 July 03, 2010
    OL May 03, 2010 July 31, 2010
    OL June 07, 2010 September 11, 2010
    OL July 05, 2010 October 03, 2010
    OL August 02, 2010 October 31, 2010
    OL September 06, 2010 December 10, 2010
    OL October 04, 2010 January 08, 2011
    OL November 08, 2010 February 12, 2011
    OL December 06, 2010 March 18, 2011

Forum Member

Default my 2 cents worth...

I agree with the majority above…online is NOT the way to get an EMT certification. Most jurisdictions require you to at some point get clinical hours that cannot be done online to my knowledge. Didactic yes, and there are some really good continuing education courses online, but I would recommend going to a nearby hospital, or looking into what courses are available at a local college that has an accredited program that allows you to take the National Registry Test. Besides, I would venture to guess you are interested in acquiring your EMT cert. in order to work in the EMS / Firefighting field, so you would be infinitely better served by attending classes and networking yourself in the EMS / Fire service communities where you intend to someday be employed. I understand the draw of online courses…they are incredibly convenient, and for the most part affordable; but for this course of study I think formal instruction is best. Also, I strongly recommend you get your paramedic license, not just a Basic or Intermediate…it will not take too much longer, it will open more doors and is worth it in the long run. Good luck and I hope that helps.

Forum Member

EMT is at state or national level. online courses don't cut it. some of them are acceptable as continuing ed in a few states

I realize this thread is nearly a month old but I wanted to add some pertinent info to the thread.

The TX DSHS publishes PDFs of the NR pass percentages of texas EMS education providers (colleges, vocational schools, etc.). They currentlyi have the 2008 and 2009 results published.

I put Training Division online program there with the ntl and state averages along with a couple of well known colleges from my area that are known for decent ems programs. Sure, I know there's more to it than just passing the NREMT, as far as hands on and such but there's no real way to 'score' or record the level of knowledge in that area, the NR test about the only judge we have at the moment. These are total (1st and 2nd attempt) pass percentages. There's a lot of colleges and schools listed so check it out. Percom and Tech Pro Services are also popular online/voc schools here in TX.

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...tryNumbers.pdf
    National Pass Average - EMTB - 77; EMTI - 80, EMTP - 84
    Texas State Pass Average - EMTB - 74; EMTI - 83; EMTP - 79
    Training Division Average - EMTB - 89; EMTI - 82; EMTP - 92
    Collin County College - EMTB - 100; EMTP - 83
    Grayson County College - EMTB - 78; EMTI - 69

http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/emstraum...tRegTXPass.pdf
    National Pass Percentage - EMTB - 77; EMTI - 78; EMTP - 80
    TX State Pass Percentage - EMTB - 74; EMTI - 84; EMTP - 76
    Training Division Pass Rate - EMTB 93; EMTI - 100; EMTP didn't offer
    Collin County Colelge - EMTB - 91; EMTP - 100
    Grayson County College - EMTB - 71; EMTP - 77

Forum Member

I am currently enrolled in the Training division emt class, and for me it has been kind of tough, Im more of a hands on learner. There is so much information in the book thats hard to remember. So im just hoping that Im not going to be the one who shows up for the skills training and not do well. If anybody has more info on the skills training please let me know. Thanks-Cody
    Mxrider34@aol.com

Thread Information