Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default POV lights in Alabama

    I have been searching the internet for hours and I have yet to find anywhere in an [U]Official doucument that says a volunteer fire fighter cannot have or run lights pov. Can anyone please point me in the right direction or show me in an official document that says other wise. Also just found out that Alabama is an open carry state. Most cops dont even know this but if anyone want any further info they can go to www.alabamaopencarry.com. 100% legal to carry a pistol in the open.


  2. #2
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter42709 View Post
    I have been searching the internet for hours
    It took me 5 minutes to find out that you can't display non-factory lights on your POV unless you're parked and even then you can't display blue lights of any kind. (Start with 32-5-241(d)(3) of the Code of Alabama and work from there...)

    Of course, all you needed to do was ask your Chief.

    100% legal to carry a pistol in the open.
    Except at a demonstration, in a vehicle, or anywhere posted no firearms.

    Have fun walking around carrying your pistol. I'm sure you can use all the flashing lights you want when you're walking, too.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 08-27-2010 at 09:44 AM.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber EFD840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eclectic (no, NOT electric), Alabama
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Long time Alabama vollie here.

    In short, what DM said. Heck, there was a thread on this forum last week about the very subject.

    Correcting Alabama vollie's misconception about POV lights is just about the only reason I'll post here anymore.

    You can dig through the Code of Alabama at http://legislature.state.al.us if you don't want to believe me, or simply search for posts using my username here since I've posted all the applicable code sections several times.

    Here's the law in a nutshell.

    The only vehicles that can legally use emergency lights are authorized emergency vehicles. These include police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks. Police cars use blue, EMS and fire use red.

    In order for any other vehicle (ie, POV) to be considered an authorized emergency vehicle, that vehicle must be so designated by the Director of Public Safety (state trooper head) or a municipal police chief. The county sheriff can't make the designation. FYI, the next volunteer FF POV that the public safety director designates as an authorized emergency vehicle will be the first. It is possible that somewhere a local police chief has designated some, but you won't find many because he's assuming liability for the operator's actions.

    White strobes aren't prohibited and you could probably get by with a yellow wrecker light, but neither grant you any right to request the right of way. As far as that goes, even if you could run a light, Alabama law also says that in order to request the right of way, you must be using both visual and audible warning devices.

    Many, many Alabama vollies openly flaunt the law. Some troopers and police officers just look the other way, others break out the ticket book. It just isn't worth it. Using an illegal light opens you up to traffic tickets and should you be in an accident the plaintiff attorney will crucify you.

    Oh, and on the open carry thing. Again, DM is right. If you've got it in a vehicle you must have a concealed carry permit. Furthermore, walking down the street openly carrying a firearm is going to get you constant conversations with law enforcement. Just because you can do something doesn't always mean you should. Get your concealed carry permit. Alabama is pretty much a must issue state. If you don't have a record, for $20 a year or less you can avoid scrutiny and carry at the same time.
    Last edited by EFD840; 08-27-2010 at 10:25 AM.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber LVFD301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter42709 View Post
    I have been searching the internet for hours and I have yet to find anywhere in an [U]Official doucument that says a volunteer fire fighter cannot have or run lights pov. Can anyone please point me in the right direction or show me in an official document that says other wise. Also just found out that Alabama is an open carry state. Most cops dont even know this but if anyone want any further info they can go to www.alabamaopencarry.com. 100% legal to carry a pistol in the open.
    If you want to look like one so badly, why not just become a cop?

  5. #5
    Forum Member CaptOldTimer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    7,196

    Default

    Hey brother, give me your hand and I will lead you to the thread already in progress.




    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116539 (Alabama POV)
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

    Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber EFD840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eclectic (no, NOT electric), Alabama
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    I just realized you're the same person that started the thread last week, which means you're either trolling or you've really got your heart set on that Whacker 5000 from Gall's.

    If you're a troll, well done. You hooked me. Just in case you're not, I'm going to now show you in black and white. All references below come from section 32 of the Code of Alabama.

    Let's start with what color lights go with what vehicle. That's found in 32-5A-115.

    The color of the lighted lamp exhibited by police vehicles may be red or blue and the color of the lighted lamp exhibited by the fire department and other authorized emergency vehicles, including ambulances, shall be red. No vehicle other than a police vehicle will use a blue light. An amber or yellow light may be installed on any vehicle or class of vehicles designated by the Director of Public Safety, but such light shall serve as a warning or caution light only, and shall not cause other vehicles to yield the right-of-way.

    Now that we know what color lights to use, we need to know what we can do with them. You can find those limitations in 32-5A-7. Particularly important is the part that says:

    The exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle is making use of an audible signal meeting the requirements of Section 32-5-213 and visual requirements of any laws of this state requiring visual signals on emergency vehicles. 32-5-213 makes this rule easy to follow because it says Every police and fire department and fire patrol vehicle and every ambulance used for emergency calls shall be equipped with a siren, bell, ululating multi-toned horns or other electronic siren type device approved by the Director of Public Safety.

    So now we know what kinds of devices we can use on Authorized Emergency Vehicles, leaving the big question - what is an Authorized Emergency Vehicle?

    That question is fully and completely answered in 32-1-1.1. It is a big section, but the part of interest in this discussion tells us that an Authorized Emergency Vehicle is: Such fire department vehicles, police vehicles and ambulances as are publicly owned, and such other publicly or privately owned vehicles as are designated by the Director of Public Safety or the chief of police of an incorporated city.

    No matter how many time you ask the question, the answer's still the same. Unless a specific exemption (for the vehicle, not the driver) has been granted, emergency lights on privately owned vehicles are illegal in Alabama.

  7. #7
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    In short, what DM said. Heck, there was a thread on this forum last week about the very subject.
    It was started by the same OP. Apparently he didn't like the responses.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    You guys might not want to p!ss him off --- hes packing.

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,439

    Default

    The best of both worlds:

    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bhUmK0QeSoI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" ></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bhUmK0QeSoI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  10. #10
    Forum Member PaladinKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    Another one of those:

    "I need them because I'm special"





    I just realized that I am getting grumpy in my advanced age...
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

  11. #11
    Forum Member Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    I just realized you're the same person that started the thread last week, which means you're either trolling or you've really got your heart set on that Whacker 5000 from Gall's.

    If you're a troll, well done. You hooked me. Just in case you're not, I'm going to now show you in black and white. All references below come from section 32 of the Code of Alabama.

    Let's start with what color lights go with what vehicle. That's found in 32-5A-115.

    The color of the lighted lamp exhibited by police vehicles may be red or blue and the color of the lighted lamp exhibited by the fire department and other authorized emergency vehicles, including ambulances, shall be red. No vehicle other than a police vehicle will use a blue light. An amber or yellow light may be installed on any vehicle or class of vehicles designated by the Director of Public Safety, but such light shall serve as a warning or caution light only, and shall not cause other vehicles to yield the right-of-way.

    Now that we know what color lights to use, we need to know what we can do with them. You can find those limitations in 32-5A-7. Particularly important is the part that says:

    The exemptions herein granted to an authorized emergency vehicle shall apply only when such vehicle is making use of an audible signal meeting the requirements of Section 32-5-213 and visual requirements of any laws of this state requiring visual signals on emergency vehicles. 32-5-213 makes this rule easy to follow because it says Every police and fire department and fire patrol vehicle and every ambulance used for emergency calls shall be equipped with a siren, bell, ululating multi-toned horns or other electronic siren type device approved by the Director of Public Safety.

    So now we know what kinds of devices we can use on Authorized Emergency Vehicles, leaving the big question - what is an Authorized Emergency Vehicle?

    That question is fully and completely answered in 32-1-1.1. It is a big section, but the part of interest in this discussion tells us that an Authorized Emergency Vehicle is: Such fire department vehicles, police vehicles and ambulances as are publicly owned, and such other publicly or privately owned vehicles as are designated by the Director of Public Safety or the chief of police of an incorporated city.

    No matter how many time you ask the question, the answer's still the same. Unless a specific exemption (for the vehicle, not the driver) has been granted, emergency lights on privately owned vehicles are illegal in Alabama.
    The Whacker 5000 is OUT? Hehe T.C.

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Alabama Codes are specific when it comes to using Emergency lights in a Privately owned Vehicle. Especially BLUE, Red lights cannot be viewed from the front of a POV, matter of fact, any red lettering in the front of a POV can be cited as illegal.. Yet red lights can be viewd from the rear of a vehicle. What I find ironic is that organized "Rescue Squads" can use reds in their POV's. Welcome to the Heart of Dixie!
    STAY SAFE! SEMPER FI

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber EFD840's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Eclectic (no, NOT electric), Alabama
    Posts
    1,510

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasl View Post
    Alabama Codes are specific when it comes to using Emergency lights in a Privately owned Vehicle. Especially BLUE, Red lights cannot be viewed from the front of a POV, matter of fact, any red lettering in the front of a POV can be cited as illegal.. Yet red lights can be viewd from the rear of a vehicle. What I find ironic is that organized "Rescue Squads" can use reds in their POV's. Welcome to the Heart of Dixie!
    STAY SAFE! SEMPER FI
    In a word, NO.

    I've posted excerpts from and links to the appropriate code sections above.

    The law makes absolutely no mention of viewable from the front or rear and places no restriction on any lettering. It also makes no exemption for rescue squads. The only vehicles that can use lights legally are authorized emergency vehicles - the definition of which I've posted above.

    If you can prove me wrong, post a link to the code section.

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Alabama lighting / emergency vehicles

    32-5A-7

    EMERGENCY VEHICLES

    2) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.

    32-5-241

    d) Special restriction on lamps.

    (2) No person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying a red light visible from directly in front of the center thereof. This section shall not apply to authorized emergency vehicles.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Alabama POV
    By firefighter42709 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-21-2010, 02:49 AM
  2. lights on POV
    By BFDFF-31 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 102
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 09:59 PM
  3. Amber lights and POV's?
    By XRaysJL in forum Probie House: The Place for Newbies
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 11:25 AM
  4. Lights on the POV?
    By jeffery611 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-31-2003, 05:37 PM
  5. RFP's
    By D Littrell in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-08-2000, 06:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts