MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spartan Furion Pros and Cons

My department is in the early stages of specing a new rescue and we are looking for opinions and feedback on the spartan furion chassis. The rescue will probably have a 16'-17' walk around body, with a small pump and tank. We are a combination department, the rescue is not staffed and will go to MVA's, hazmat's, and working fires(4th due). WE would really like a custom cab but money is tight so that's why we're looking into the furion. Are options are IH 4400 or Spartan Furion.

Reliance

Default Braun

http://www.braunambulances.com/products/ check this site and click on Patriot.

MembersZone Subscriber

When comparing the Furion to the a commercial cab chassis, it stands out. Comparing it to another custom chassis, it falls short due to limited customization choices.

You'll love the turning radius. You can fit six in the cab instead of only five (if you're running SCBA seats). The Furion is based on a MetroStar chassis, so the running gear underneath it all is the same.

The cab is stamped steel, so that trait it'll share with the IH. Freightliner manages to make their cabs out of aluminum, I wish Spartan could have done this too.

Have you been in one? Specifically ask your regional Spartan rep to arrange for you to be able to drive one and get a feel for it. I think you'll be pleased over a conventional commercial chassis.

Keep in mind, HME's low cost offering is in Furion price territory. Some love HME, some hate. I'm just offering it for your consideration.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Personaly, when building a custom pumper, rescue, aerial or what ever, I think it is extremely unwise to not go with the cab and chassis offered by the body builder, assuming the builder offers one. I have seen entirely too many problems as of late with "third party" cabs/chassis. Another common problem is that even tho they may consider it "sole source" you still run into problems when something breaks and the chassis and body builders go back and forth fighting over who's at fault for what ever broke/quit working. Not worth the headachs.
    just my 2 cents
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

Forum Member

Major con- ugly as sin.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Spartan Furion

Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15 View Post
    My department is in the early stages of specing a new rescue and we are looking for opinions and feedback on the spartan furion chassis. The rescue will probably have a 16'-17' walk around body, with a small pump and tank. We are a combination department, the rescue is not staffed and will go to MVA's, hazmat's, and working fires(4th due). WE would really like a custom cab but money is tight so that's why we're looking into the furion. Are options are IH 4400 or Spartan Furion.
    Have your local dealer give you a quote using the same chassis spec for a Spartan Furion and a Metro Star. You will be very surprized to find out that the Metro Star will be less expensive then the Furion.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by retiredchiefone View Post
    Have your local dealer give you a quote using the same chassis spec for a Spartan Furion and a Metro Star. You will be very surprized to find out that the Metro Star will be less expensive then the Furion.
    I'd love to know how they're pulling this off. I just looked at SparCON and there's thousands of dollars of difference just between a Furion four door and a Metro Star ER cab (2-door).
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

RoofToptrucky, i can argue that one all day. I recently had a major brand unit where the app mfg pointed at the engine mfg, and they pointed back, repeat,repeat,repeat. And that wasnt the first time, not will it be the last.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    I'd love to know how they're pulling this off. I just looked at SparCON and there's thousands of dollars of difference just between a Furion four door and a Metro Star ER cab (2-door).
    Closeout,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the opinions guy. The furion is no longer a option to us because of the roof design. It ends up being 9'5" at the rear of the cab so that wouldn't work that well with our 9'4" arched bay door

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15 View Post
    Thanks for the opinions guy. The furion is no longer a option to us because of the roof design. It ends up being 9'5" at the rear of the cab so that wouldn't work that well with our 9'4" arched bay door
    Furion's cab is Rounded. An inch isn't much with a lil steam. You STILL got a chance,hehe T.C.

Forum Member

I spent about a hour with the chief of Valley township fd at harrisburg this year. I was really impressed with the truck. A lot of truck with cafs and poly body. I like the modern rounded look of the Furion I am tired of the flat faced custom pumper that looks like everyone else.
    http://vt-fd.org/rescue97.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    The standard equipment is different. By the time they equalize the money changes.

Thread Information