Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Fire Academy Recruit

Im finally doing it! Im finally getting into the Academy. I start Jan 30, 2011. Ive been talking about it for years and finally decided it was time.

Quick Question:
    The Fire Academy im attending instructs up to EMT-B, but has a seperate curriculum based Paramedic course. Should I wait to join a department before taking the Paramedic Course, or join and try and fit school in on the side. I know many departments have varying schedules like 24 on, 24 off which might make it hard to attend classes. What would you do?

Side Note:
    I just bought a pair of Globe Technical boots for the Academy after reading some of the awesome reviews on here. Im the kind of person who likes doing things right the first time. I wanted a boot that would last me through the academy during non-interior attack drills and well into my career. These boots seem to have the best reviews. We shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by k.goodman View Post
    Im finally doing it! Im finally getting into the Academy. I start Jan 30, 2011. Ive been talking about it for years and finally decided it was time.

Quick Question:
    The Fire Academy im attending instructs up to EMT-B, but has a seperate curriculum based Paramedic course. Should I wait to join a department before taking the Paramedic Course, or join and try and fit school in on the side. I know many departments have varying schedules like 24 on, 24 off which might make it hard to attend classes. What would you do?

Side Note:
    I just bought a pair of Globe Technical boots for the Academy after reading some of the awesome reviews on here. Im the kind of person who likes doing things right the first time. I wanted a boot that would last me through the academy during non-interior attack drills and well into my career. These boots seem to have the best reviews. We shall see.

Welcome and congratulations!

You are not saying where you are or the academy in which you will be attending.

It this just a academy or a fire department which will send you to their academy?

I think I would have waited to see if the department, if you were hired, would and probably would furnish you with the footwear which you bought.

I also would wait to get the PM course after you get the EMT-B as this one will help you in the PM course. You will understand the terminology better and can adapt to the later course of instruction.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information