Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Crimson's 93 ft. MM for Buffalo?

Anyone else notice the article in the Fire Apparatus and Emergency Equipment rag about Buffalo NY inking a multi-year contract with Crimson? The piece notes Crimson is "designing a 93-foot mid-mount aerial, a new model Crimson developed for the city."

Interesting after some of the rumors, sightings and innuendo about Crimson looking at the LTI plant in Ephrata, as they built 93 Ft. MM aerials for ALF in recent years. It does note the new design will "feature a new ladder lifting cradle system."

Things that make you go "huh?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Interesting after some of the rumors, sightings and innuendo about Crimson looking at the LTI plant in Ephrata, as they built 93 Ft. MM aerials for ALF in recent years.
    More than that now, the move to Ephrata has begun. They should be fully moved in by the end of Oct.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LeadOff View Post
    More than that now, the move to Ephrata has begun. They should be fully moved in by the end of Oct.
    Ah, it all makes more sense now. Last I'd read they were still trying to play off the Crimson/LTI deal as rumor.

Huh, a sole source Spartan/LTI aerial? That'll be a nice offering to the market.

Hmmn,this SHOULD be an area you have SOME knowledge of. After all isn't that "Stubby one" you run SIMILAR? I KNOW it doesn't do 99' Horizontal,hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Hmmn,this SHOULD be an area you have SOME knowledge of. After all isn't that "Stubby one" you run SIMILAR? I KNOW it doesn't do 99' Horizontal,hehe T.C.
    True, I'm interested to see the "new" Crimson 93 footer. We're not at all unhappy with the trade off of the 7 extra feet the 100' gave when you look at the increased tailslap and reduced angle of departure.

OK guys, I need some education again. Mostly on the 93' MM and the relation to LTI.

Does this open or re-open the glory days of the LTI???

I know I posted somewhere, that now is the time to buy stock in Crimson, then corrected to Spartan. Looks like that may be a good deal after all.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

True, I'm interested to see the "new" Crimson 93 footer. We're not at all unhappy with the trade off of the 7 extra feet the 100' gave when you look at the increased tailslap and reduced angle of departure.
    How 'bout you bring your "mini me" up and we'll see where you can go where I can't? I think YOU would be UNHAPPY at the results. And that extra 7' can come in REAL handy. Not remembering how long your's was,I don't think we're all that different.Haven't found many spots yet a savvy operator can't put the Smeal. T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    OK guys, I need some education again. Mostly on the 93' MM and the relation to LTI.

I know I posted somewhere, that now is the time to buy stock in Crimson, then corrected to Spartan. Looks like that may be a good deal after all.

FM1
    The 93 was a popular platform in the Alf line,coincidentally produced in.......Ehprata. Imagine that,Hehe T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 09-02-2010 at 09:33 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    How 'bout you bring your "mini me" up and we'll see where you can go where I can't? I think YOU would be UNHAPPY at the results. And that extra 7' can come in REAL handy. Not remembering how long your's was,I don't think we're all that different.Haven't find many spots yet a savvy operator can't put the Smeal. T.C.
    I was actually referring specifically to the LTI 93 vs. 100 footer, where the tailslap seem to grow and the AOD decreases. Also moves the rear outriggers further back from the rear duals IIRC.

Forum Member

Did anyone look at the aerial Crimson built for Chicago at the show in Chicago? I spent a lot of time crawling all over it and I have to say its a fine piece of equipment. From what I understand Crimson will be building about 14 a year for the next three years for the City of Chicago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

It sort of does. Crimson Aerials is setting up shop in the old LTI facilities in Ephrata. The majority of the guys that work for Crimson used to work for LTI before ALF came into the picture years back. It will be kind of a homecoming for them.

Forum Member

Question Is ALF still alive !

So is ALF out of business, or are they going to use and sell a Crimson ladder on a Eagle chassis ??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodbridgeFFII View Post
    So is ALF out of business, or are they going to use and sell a Crimson ladder on a Eagle chassis ??
    That continues to be a very intriguing question concerning the state of ALF. As far as I know, they are still in some sort of very limited operation in Ephrata using one of the smaller buildings in the old LTI complex. I have no idea as to what's going on at their Charleston SC facility. All I've ever heard is that they are still completing orders that were taken years back before they filed Chapter 11. There are no aerial ladders being built by or for ALF in Ephrata. I think we are all expecting to see an announcement about the demise of ALF anytime now but they keep suprising everybody by showing up at shows in Baltimore and most recently in Chicago. What's next? Only time will tell.

Forum Member

For those interested, you can view a pdf drawing of Buffalo's new 93' midmount tower right here on the local Crimson dealer's website. It looks somewhat like an LTI, but I cant tell. Im sure some of you more seasoned veterans will be able to provide better input.

http://www.westfieldfiresales.com/index.html

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KDWMAEMT View Post
    For those interested, you can view a pdf drawing of Buffalo's new 93' midmount tower right here on the local Crimson dealer's website. It looks somewhat like an LTI, but I cant tell. Im sure some of you more seasoned veterans will be able to provide better input.

http://www.westfieldfiresales.com/index.html
    I have it under advisement of a quality source that this is a truly Crimson product, not in any part LTI. OK maybe they have some guys that worked in Ephrata now on Crimson's payroll. I guess the 93' length was truly exactly what Crimson needed to make the Buffalo truck work out as opposed to using LTI's design. The coincidences were numerous enough to add up to more than they really are?
    1. LTI makes a 93 ft MM
    2. the LTI plant is predominantly dormant
    3. Buffalo has previously purchased LTI platforms
    4. Crimson needs a place to build aerial bodies on the right coast for
    efficiency

Alas, we'll see where the future leads. I wouldn't be unhappy looking at a Spartan chassis with an LTI aerial over the top of Crimson's jacking system, all "built under one roof".

Forum Member

I have it under advisement of a quality source that this is a truly Crimson product, not in any part LTI. OK maybe they have some guys that worked in Ephrata now on Crimson's payroll. I guess the 93' length was truly exactly what Crimson needed to make the Buffalo truck work out as opposed to using LTI's design. The coincidences were numerous enough to add up to more than they really are?
    1. LTI makes a 93 ft MM
    efficiency

Alas, we'll see where the future leads. I wouldn't be unhappy looking at a Spartan chassis with an LTI aerial over the top of Crimson's jacking system, all "built under one roof".
    Buffalo's 93' MM is definitely the Crimson design, not LTI. One thing that stands out is the aerial lift cradle. Crimson's aerial design has a lot of LTI heritage but they consider it an improved version of the LTI. Crimson's staff (to include the CEO, Jim Salmi, and some of the top engineers) have a lot of ties to the old LTI so it's much more than just some production staff that used to work on the production line at LTI. The Crimson move up to Ephrata in the main LTI building was done for one main reason, they ran out of room at the Lancaster facility and the lease was about to run out. The Ephrata building became available when ALF moved out of it so it made sense to move up there. The extra room at Ephrata will allow for the aerial apparatus bodies to be built up there rather than at the Crimson facility in Brandon SD that was formerly the old Luverne facility. Crimson will still build the pumpers and rescue trucks in SD.

1. LTI makes a 93 ft MM
    efficiency

Hehe. Won't happen in YOUR Career any more than it will in mine. Both of our rigs will outlast the Time you and I have left. T.c.

Thread Information