Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Remote Control Master Streams

What used to be considered a frivolous luxury has now become justifiable. With limited staffing, and in an effort to reduce the reasons a firefighter must climb on top of the apparatus, I am looking into our department's first remote control master stream to be mount on the apparatus.

We have looked at the remote control Elkhart Vulcan and the TFT Hurricane (both 1250gpm). We will use the electric-powered riser,and the primary controller will be hard-mounted on the pump panel.

Would FF's using either of these devices share your pros and cons and opinions of these two brands.

C6

Forum Member

i know this isnt a brand you're considering, but we've have good service from Akron's Deckmaster with both wired and wireless controllers. Just make sure you dont store crap loose near the deck gun that can interfere with its operation.

Forum Member

never mind read that wrong.

the wireless remote is pretty neat since it lets the operator get a different view of the fire and better aim the stream.

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    We have looked at the remote control Elkhart Vulcan and the TFT Hurricane (both 1250gpm). We will use the electric-powered riser,and the primary controller will be hard-mounted on the pump panel.
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you said the "primary" controller.

If you gonna spend the money, get one with wireless remote operation so that whoever is operating the device will be able to step away from the apparatus and see what the water is actually hitting on ALL sides of the apparatus.

Go with the wireless remote and I think you will find that it will become the "primary" controls.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

A couple months ago I installed the Akron Deckmaster wireless system on a VFD rig. Their reasoning was so that the pump operator could make the changes without him going on top, or using someone else to change the attack flow.

After the installation and testing, the thing worked out pretty good, and from a decent distance from the operator to the deck gun. Movement, as found out after using it, was very predictable and smooth.

As for OP's choices, I don't have any experience with either of them. But, either one should work fine for what you need them to do.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you said the "primary" controller.

If you gonna spend the money, get one with wireless remote operation so that whoever is operating the device will be able to step away from the apparatus and see what the water is actually hitting on ALL sides of the apparatus.

Go with the wireless remote and I think you will find that it will become the "primary" controls.
    Is this going to be like trying to find the TV remote??? Will you end up chaining it to the truck?

We have the TFT... at the time, they had a promotion that gave us the wireless remote.

Neat-o!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Is this going to be like trying to find the TV remote??? Will you end up chaining it to the truck?
    To add to that, I don't want dead batteries to put my largest nozzle on the truck out of service.

Thanks for all you feedback.

C6

Forum Member

We considered getting one on our tanker, and couldn't justify spending that amount of money on something that might get used once a year on the rig, and when it does get used, it's not at a time you need to hury up and bust your *** to get it in service, instead you have the extra minet or two to have some one safely climb up and operate it manualy, even with low staffing.
    It takes a little intelligence to enjoy humor,satire & wit, but none to be offended by it.

It take more than a new Leather Helmet to make you a good officer

To add to that, I don't want dead batteries to put my largest nozzle on the truck out of service.
    Wow.

There is a program out there you may of heard about:

Change your clock, change your batteries.

Ohhhhhh.....your a Chief. Your fire department may have bigger issues than worrying about a remote deck gun nozzle.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thanks for all you feedback.

C6
    It will operate without the battery remote. It only ADDS to the functionality.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MemphisE34a View Post
    Wow.

There is a program out there you may of heard about:

Change your clock, change your batteries.

Ohhhhhh.....your a Chief. Your fire department may have bigger issues than worrying about a remote deck gun nozzle.
    Exactly the caliber of response I expected: Professional, insightful, and enlightening.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your words of infinite wisdom to the discussion.

C6

Forum Member

the manual controls will still work on the deck gun, at least it does on TFT's version.

Exactly the caliber of response I expected: Professional, insightful, and enlightening.

Thank you for taking the time to contribute your words of infinite wisdom to the discussion.

C6
    Your welcome. I am always here to point out the obvious.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Thumbs up

We have the TFT on both the truck and our new engine. Works great, the biggest recommendation I could give is get the remote. On our engine you can't see the gun from the pump pannel and therefore have no idea which direction it is facing. Obviously if you have a mid-mount pump pannel, you won't need the wireless operation. Very easy to use and a suprisingly tight stream for an adjustable nozzle.
    Matt G.
    Battalion Chief
    IACOJ-Member
    FTM-PTB

Thread Information