Forum Member

Default Propane Explosion Delaware County, PA

Here is a video from a bystander of a fire at Scully Welding Supply with propane involvement, in Collingdale Borough, Delaware County, PA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pp1KMNaTJg

MembersZone Subscriber

one of the buildings damaged is an avid apparatus buff's
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    one of the buildings damaged is an avid apparatus buff's
    He lost some irreplaceable vehicles and memorabilia.

MembersZone Subscriber

And how many of us have just such a facility - if not in our own district, then somewhere nearby....

Too bad about losing that gear.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    And how many of us have just such a facility - if not in our own district, then somewhere nearby....

Too bad about losing that gear.
    Cannot speak for the rest of the country, but down here you find propane bottles in almost every house. Just in my house I have 6 - 20lb bottles.
    It is a highly overlooked, and danderous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Acklan View Post
    Cannot speak for the rest of the country, but down here you find propane bottles in almost every house. Just in my house I have 6 - 20lb bottles.
    It is a highly overlooked, and dangerous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.
    It's the same here - 20# cylinders under the gas grille (plus a spare or three), a couple of 100 pounders at the side of the house for the gas stove, a 500 or 1000 gallon out behind the house for heat, etc.

A local department with a propane facility in it's first due was reported some years ago to have as the preplan evacuation - of the fire department to a somewhat distant park on a hill to watch from there....
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

It is a highly overlooked, and danderous, in many cases. Made many fires, with a bottle either venting or completely failed, over the years.
    I thought it says something like "Do not store in any structure" on the bottles???

MembersZone Subscriber

The tags on my pillow say do not remove, but...

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well.........

The tags on my pillow say do not remove, but...

I wouldn't worry about the Tags, They'll Burn off............
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling

Post OK, Back To The Topic.........

Propane use seems to Vary according to where you live...... I don't see much Propane in my area, EXCEPT 20Lb. Grill Cylinders. Just Yesterday Afternoon we had a Grill Fire, No extension to the House or Deck. There are a couple of those every Summer....... As to Cooking and Heating, Newer Homes have the Propane Tanks (usually 500 Gallons ) Underground. We have had very few problems of any kind with those. I don't know if it's our Milder Winters (Compared to, say, Tree's area) or what, but Electric Heat and Cooking Systems seem to outnumber Propane by a majority. And, add to that, we're on the Eastern Edge of the Metro Area's Natural Gas Distribution System. Some Neighborhoods have had Natural Gas since they were Built, but others don't have it yet........
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Propane use seems to Vary according to where you live...... I don't see much Propane in my area, EXCEPT 20Lb. Grill Cylinders. Just Yesterday Afternoon we had a Grill Fire, No extension to the House or Deck. There are a couple of those every Summer....... As to Cooking and Heating, Newer Homes have the Propane Tanks (usually 500 Gallons ) Underground. We have had very few problems of any kind with those. I don't know if it's our Milder Winters (Compared to, say, Tree's area) or what, but Electric Heat and Cooking Systems seem to outnumber Propane by a majority. And, add to that, we're on the Eastern Edge of the Metro Area's Natural Gas Distribution System. Some Neighborhoods have had Natural Gas since they were Built, but others don't have it yet........
    Down here we find 1 lb cylinders that are stored for hurricane season. The are used in Coleman lamps and stoves. One of the worst feelings is to hear that high pitch "pop off" valve squealing inside of a closet.
    In my case (at my house) I can boil 150lb of crawfish at one time, which means 3 35,000 BTU burns running. I can have 6 to 12 propane tanks at the house at one time, depending if my friends bring their's as backups.
    The large outside tanks, 50 to 500 gallons, are not usually a big problems since they are usually set back away from the structure. I have seen 30 gallon tanks ( procured forklift tanks ) inside of house trailers connected to stoves\water heaters\heating units. That is more than a little unnerving to find while fighting fire.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Talking Wow............

Down here we find 1 lb cylinders that are stored for hurricane season. The are used in Coleman lamps and stoves. One of the worst feelings is to hear that high pitch "pop off" valve squealing inside of a closet.
    In my case (at my house) I can boil 150lb of crawfish at one time, which means 3 35,000 BTU burns running. I can have 6 to 12 propane tanks at the house at one time, depending if my friends bring their's as backups.
    The large outside tanks, 50 to 500 gallons, are not usually a big problems since they are usually set back away from the structure. I have seen 30 gallon tanks ( procured forklift tanks ) inside of house trailers connected to stoves\water heaters\heating units. That is more than a little unnerving to find while fighting fire.
    A Hundred and Fifty POUNDS of Crawdads??.......... Dang..... Musta took two years to catch that many......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Talking

In our area Propane has a large presence. Close to 50% of homes have it as primary heating & cooking fuel & generator fuel service. Many have multiple 120 gallon pigs , often times right next to the structures. Newer gas services tend to be 350 -500 gallon buried tanks which are much safer.

We had a fully involved structure a few years ago with a garage under that had 8- 20 lb portable propane tanks stored in the basement garage. Sure made for quite a few butt clenching moments as they started to bleed off. Only had one BLEVE out of the eight & by then we had moved the troops back to a safe distance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    A Hundred and Fifty POUNDS of Crawdads??.......... Dang..... Musta took two years to catch that many......
    Last boil we had, we cooked 1500 lbs. What is really impressive it the beer. 5 ton truck with 6 taps (Self serve).

Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival

Forum Member

You have these IN your house?? Why?

Do you now have a garage, shed or even a deck to store these?

I have several, in the shed and the working one on the grill on the deck. Also several small for use with torches to do sweating of pipes in plumbing, that I do. But these are kept outside in my work shed or unattached garage.

You don't keep your lawn mower or motor bike, if you have these, in the house as well, do you?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You have these IN your house?? Why?

Do you now have a garage, shed or even a deck to store these?

I have several, in the shed and the working one on the grill on the deck. Also several small for use with torches to do sweating of pipes in plumbing, that I do. But these are kept outside in my work shed or unattached garage.

You don't keep your lawn mower or motor bike, if you have these, in the house as well, do you?
    Ok ok, you got me. I keep them in my outside kitchen. I have 1 propane BBQ, 1 wood BBQ, 1 BBQ smoke (an old 150 gallon propane tank) 4 crawfish\crab boiler w\ 120 qt pots. On hand I have 6 plus propane bottles on site (not inside of a structure). My outside kitchen is about 30 feet from the rear of my house. I have had 100 people at my house at one time, a couple of times a years. Probably over 250 during the holidays that arrive through out the day. Wife's family comes over early and my family arrive late and mooching friends all day long. I wish you could taste my whole butterflied chicken stuffed with crab meat, slow cooked over pecan wood.
    I did not include the pit in the ground for roasting whole pig and goat.

The lawnmower is slow roasted around October and I buy a new one around March. (burp!)

Forum Member

Ok ok, you got me. I keep them in my outside kitchen. I have 1 propane BBQ, 1 wood BBQ, 1 BBQ smoke (an old 150 gallon propane tank) 4 crawfish\crab boiler w\ 120 qt pots. On hand I have 6 plus propane bottles on site (not inside of a structure). My outside kitchen is about 30 feet from the rear of my house. I have had 100 people at my house at one time, a couple of times a years. Probably over 250 during the holidays that arrive through out the day. Wife's family comes over early and my family arrive late and mooching friends all day long. I wish you could taste my whole butterflied chicken stuffed with crab meat, slow cooked over pecan wood.
    I did not include the pit in the ground for roasting whole pig and goat.

The lawnmower is slow roasted around October and I buy a new one around March. (burp!)

Good to know, now I can sleep better tonight knowing this!!

You had me worring for nothing.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Last boil we had, we cooked 1500 lbs. What is really impressive it the beer. 5 ton truck with 6 taps (Self serve).

Breaux Bridge Crawfish Festival
    THAT'S IT! I'm moving! T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Good to know, now I can sleep better tonight knowing this!!

You had me worring for nothing.
    Do not get too related, there is plenty to worry about with me.

This is not my place, but I can dream..

Great Southern Foods

Thread Information