Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Leather: Conway or Sam Houston

Hello brothers and sisters. I'm currently in the market for a leather helmet and would like some opinions on which one I should spend my hard earned money on. My department requires that the helmet be NFPA approved so I know I am down to the N6A or the Paul Conway leather and don't really know which one I want to invest in. If you guys have ever used one or even both please feel free to respond. Thank you guys.

The Phenix TL2 is also NFPA approved.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I have had both the conway and phenix over time. conway is a block, waaaayyyyyy too heavy. My vote would have to havr a write in candidate, phenix TL2
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

Would also put a vote in for the phenix leather I purchased one for my volunteer department and another for work and I love it.

Forum Member

Default Phenix TL-2

I've got a Phenix for sale if your interested. It's a completely unused 2008 with all the right stickers... email me at inkonscene@gmail.com

Not a choice, but if your gonna spend the money get yourself a Phenix TL-2 ! Damn fine leather !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayburgeyENG25 View Post
    Hello brothers and sisters. I'm currently in the market for a leather helmet and would like some opinions on which one I should spend my hard earned money on. My department requires that the helmet be NFPA approved so I know I am down to the N6A or the Paul Conway leather and don't really know which one I want to invest in. If you guys have ever used one or even both please feel free to respond. Thank you guys.
    How many places are you going to ask this question?
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

actually didn't mean to post it on the other forum. not sure why it matter anyways.

Another vote for a Phenix.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

actually didn't mean to post it on the other forum. not sure why it matter anyways.
    It does matter as you should post in the appropriate thread section and not like a shotgun approach.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on this by using the search feature shown on the dark line above. I am sure you will find many posts and answers to this old tired question.

Forum Member

If you don't like it then don't look! There are plenty of other things for you to look at on this site. There is always someone that feels the need to be a smartass. I guess you fit that mold. Regardless of how its posted it doesn't matter to you or affect your everyday life because I didn't specifically ask you. You chose to comment when you could have just ignored the "tired" question. And if you read the first comment I said that I didn't mean to post it on that section. Get a grip dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    It does matter as you should post in the appropriate thread section and not like a shotgun approach.

Do yourself a favor and do a search on this by using the search feature shown on the dark line above. I am sure you will find many posts and answers to this old tired question.

Thumbs down

If you don't like it then don't look! There are plenty of other things for you to look at on this site. There is always someone that feels the need to be a smartass. I guess you fit that mold. Regardless of how its posted it doesn't matter to you or affect your everyday life because I didn't specifically ask you. You chose to comment when you could have just ignored the "tired" question. And if you read the first comment I said that I didn't mean to post it on that section. Get a grip dude.

Easy Sonny. I didn't mean to get you all upset, I was pointing out a few things. Far be from me to help you and other newbies again!

Also watch that tone with me too kid!

Here you are rook!

`
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

I FEEL MY TONE WAS FINE!!! I wanted more recent opinions thats why I asked. If I wanted to go with opinions from 4 years ago I wouldn't have bothered. Not sure how much you helped though. Everything you have said has been critical.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    Easy Sonny. I didn't mean to get you all upset, I was pointing out a few things. Far be from me to help you and other newbies again!

Also watch that tone with me too kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Here you are rook!

`
    Oh Yeah,there's still some season left. T.c.

Lol people like you make me laugh. Come in here talking like your **** don't stink, and thinking you can tell long time members how they should go about their business on the forum.

Just too funny.

I'm currently in the market for a leather helmet and would like some opinions on which one I should spend my hard earned money on.
    You want opinions? Buy a real helmet instead. Leather is for wrapping cows...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I FEEL MY TONE WAS FINE!!! I wanted more recent opinions thats why I asked. If I wanted to go with opinions from 4 years ago I wouldn't have bothered. Not sure how much you helped though. Everything you have said has been critical.
    About CaptOldTimer
    Fire/EMS Agency Affiliation
    Since 1957
    (copied from his stats on profile)

You in your own words say you are new, well he isn't. Opinions don't generally change in 4yrs since there is nothing that has changed on the helmets. But, since you are new lets back track things a bit. If you are 21, 4yrs ago you were 17, that was the age you began being smarter than anyone else, so what anyone said didn't matter.

Lets take things back a bit from his side. This is 2010, if you minus his start year (1957) you get 53. Well, ain't that more than twice your age, just on the earth......????????? One thing is for sure, no matter how you add it up, he has seen more fire than you ever will due to the fact their are fewer and fewer fires each year, since I started in 1987 we are down, way down and I have nearly half his time in the fire service.

Let me quess, you are the guy that gets in trouble on shift with the opening below your nose? Had a guy like that once, thought he could push things. He pushed until I got his attention one day, twenty laps around the station grounds. That young man has turned out to be one of my better guys. He too still at times gets in trouble with the opening below his nose, but not as much. All I have to do now is just look at him and he straightens up.

Got another young recruits attention one day. I made him polish brass. The kid was drag assing and standing back during training. I got him off to the side, counciled him and told him I had a individual character building exercise for him. I told him I wanted him to be the shinning star for the future by looking at the past and whatnot. I had the product there and asked him several times before the exercise was done if he had used the product before and every time he answered "yes". I left him to set the example and in 10 minutes I returned. He was still trying to apply the product. I asked if he was through with the task and he responded yes. I told him "you know, I didn't quite expect this to be this easy to see but here it is and you are an adult and better be able to handle and understand what I am about to say.... The job is half assed! just like your participation and effort in class is half assed". I reached for the dry towel on the truck seat next to the wadding polish and lightly buffed to a shine a brass knob on the valve and said these words, "the object of the drill and the question of the day is, "are you shinny or are you dull?" 10 minutes later he had it to a mirror shine and said, Capt I understand what you mean

I set the expectation bar high for those around me, both in their daily duties of training and respect for those around them that paved the way for their futures. Jay partner, I would have fun with you in learning respect for those that have paved the way. My guys know if a retiree crosses our door and needs something, anything they are to pitch in and help. The retirees have given their service years to the city, for that the will have the utmost respect, its not negotiable.

I was taught by a group of men that truly loved the fire service, and it stuck. Ones that thought a lot of me to mentor me and give me the tools to suceed. Today I have the fortune to have the son of the engineer that taught me everything about engineering as my engineer/driver

This isn't meant to be sugarcoated, just ask my last recruit. He is on the ball learning each day, asking questions and setting goals for himself and his future. I have him pointed in the right direction, lets see if he continues to soar!
    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Forum Member

You sound like a great Captain, thats awesome. Cool story about your engineer. You shouldn't assume that because I said I am new that means that I'm 21 years old. "New" actually meant new to this website. I'm actually older and beyond the "I'm smarter than everyone stage". I actually looked back at the old forums and not many people mentioned the Phenix helmets like they(you being one of them) did in this forum before all the hoopla. So in a sense things have changed a bit. To tell you some things about myself, I actually don't talk much. I actually stay to myself alot. I do what is asked of me when my number is called whether its EMS or FIRE and I take my training seriously and spread my knowledge to anyone I can. I try to take training classes outside of my department and actually have a plan to extend my education beyond the fire service. When I do say something I say what I feel. I feel that as a grown man I have a right to my own opinion just like any other man, including you regardless of age. Regardless of how you or anyone else took it, I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to anyone. If you took it that way, I'm sorry you feel that way not sure else how you wanted me to say it. Like I said before I feel every man has a right to his own opinion, I felt that CaptOldTimer went out of his way to try and make a big deal out of a simple question. There wasn't much of a need to be smart or arrogant about it. If there was a problem with the question it could have just been skipped over with no problem. People have come to this forum to express their opinion of me and they don't know me outside of my screename totally dodging the simple questions I asked. My response has nothing to do with the respect I have for him or anyone else that was a fireman before me. I feel regardless of how long someone has been doing anything, that doesn't give them the right to belittle or "talk down" to someone of less tenure. I hate thats how you think of me but like me, you have a right to your own opinion. Stay safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt387 View Post
    About CaptOldTimer
    Fire/EMS Agency Affiliation
    Since 1957
    (copied from his stats on profile)

You in your own words say you are new, well he isn't. Opinions don't generally change in 4yrs since there is nothing that has changed on the helmets. But, since you are new lets back track things a bit. If you are 21, 4yrs ago you were 17, that was the age you began being smarter than anyone else, so what anyone said didn't matter.

Lets take things back a bit from his side. This is 2010, if you minus his start year (1957) you get 53. Well, ain't that more than twice your age, just on the earth......????????? One thing is for sure, no matter how you add it up, he has seen more fire than you ever will due to the fact their are fewer and fewer fires each year, since I started in 1987 we are down, way down and I have nearly half his time in the fire service.

Let me quess, you are the guy that gets in trouble on shift with the opening below your nose? Had a guy like that once, thought he could push things. He pushed until I got his attention one day, twenty laps around the station grounds. That young man has turned out to be one of my better guys. He too still at times gets in trouble with the opening below his nose, but not as much. All I have to do now is just look at him and he straightens up.

Got another young recruits attention one day. I made him polish brass. The kid was drag assing and standing back during training. I got him off to the side, counciled him and told him I had a individual character building exercise for him. I told him I wanted him to be the shinning star for the future by looking at the past and whatnot. I had the product there and asked him several times before the exercise was done if he had used the product before and every time he answered "yes". I left him to set the example and in 10 minutes I returned. He was still trying to apply the product. I asked if he was through with the task and he responded yes. I told him "you know, I didn't quite expect this to be this easy to see but here it is and you are an adult and better be able to handle and understand what I am about to say.... The job is half assed! just like your participation and effort in class is half assed". I reached for the dry towel on the truck seat next to the wadding polish and lightly buffed to a shine a brass knob on the valve and said these words, "the object of the drill and the question of the day is, "are you shinny or are you dull?" 10 minutes later he had it to a mirror shine and said, Capt I understand what you mean

I set the expectation bar high for those around me, both in their daily duties of training and respect for those around them that paved the way for their futures. Jay partner, I would have fun with you in learning respect for those that have paved the way. My guys know if a retiree crosses our door and needs something, anything they are to pitch in and help. The retirees have given their service years to the city, for that the will have the utmost respect, its not negotiable.

I was taught by a group of men that truly loved the fire service, and it stuck. Ones that thought a lot of me to mentor me and give me the tools to suceed. Today I have the fortune to have the son of the engineer that taught me everything about engineering as my engineer/driver

This isn't meant to be sugarcoated, just ask my last recruit. He is on the ball learning each day, asking questions and setting goals for himself and his future. I have him pointed in the right direction, lets see if he continues to soar!

Forum Member

edit: answer given a few posts above.
    Last edited by thedozer; 09-05-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Thread Information