Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
Results 81 to 90 of 90
  1. #81
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    According to my theory
    Please take a geology class.

    To me it makes much more sense in scientific terms that the Grand Canyon is a result of recent events and not millions of years.
    Only if you presume a flood for which we have no evidence and ignore a rather large body of geological knowledge accumulated over the last few centuries. Wishful thinking doesn't make it so.

    I am an engineer and have a very analytical mind.
    Then I would suggest applying it to actual facts.

    I do have great faith that the Bible is true in its account of the Creator and creation.
    While there may be a philosophical argument to suggest that the Bible may contain figurative truths, the notion that the Biblical creation story is literally true is, without any rational doubt, absurd.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.


  2. #82
    Forum Member ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Just stick with calling it silly. I don't expect any deeper comments from you.
    Heh...and you're really knockin' them out of the park, philosophically speaking, right?

  3. #83
    Forum Member ThNozzleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Jefferson City, TN
    Posts
    4,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    It's a bit of apples and oranges.

    There is overwhelming evidence that smoking is in fact BAD for you. Whereas there is zero evidence one way or the other for the 'magic of religion' as you put it.
    But, there is plenty of scientific evidence that disproves what religion teaches...overwhelmingly. Yet, people keep clinging to it as truth...just like people disregard the truth about cigarette smoking.

  4. #84
    Forum Member HuntPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    Please take a geology class.


    Only if you presume a flood for which we have no evidence and ignore a rather large body of geological knowledge accumulated over the last few centuries. Wishful thinking doesn't make it so.



    While there may be a philosophical argument to suggest that the Bible may contain figurative truths, the notion that the Biblical creation story is literally true is, without any rational doubt, absurd.
    I took geology classes in college. How many have you taken? And they were taught from an old earth viewpoint. I was unable to have the professor explain to me why you can not find the "geologic column" in complete order anywhere in the world. I also asked how several trees have been fossilized completely upside down through several strata of sedimetary rock. The rock is perfectly formed around the tree (including the needles as they are mostly evergreen) with no evidence that it was somehow inserted.

    I notice that your tone is changing from one of evidence and interpretation to that of "I don't agree, so I am going to call names without factual backing." I was looking forward to a factual conversation, or even a philisophical debate, but not a name calling session where you say that I am believe in sky fairies with no grounding in science.

  5. #85
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HuntPA View Post
    I took geology classes in college. How many have you taken? And they were taught from an old earth viewpoint
    So did I. Afterwards I taught them in college. They weren't from an old earth viewpoint but from an objective evidence viewpoint.

    I notice that your tone is changing from one of evidence and interpretation to that of "I don't agree, so I am going to call names without factual backing."
    I don't waste time on young earthers anymore. I find them too pathetically ignorant to bother with. I could attempt a factual conversation, but I usually get paid to teach science and I find young earthers typically need at least a couple of years of background education before they can debate the subject intelligently. I don't have that kind of time to waste.

    Go ahead and believe whatever fairy tales you wish.
    Last edited by DeputyMarshal; 09-10-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: typo
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  6. #86
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    ...

    Go ahead and belief whatever fairy tales you wish.
    That would be "believe" "professor/TA" condescending. I assume of "Rocks for Jocks".

  7. #87
    Forum Member DeputyMarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
    That would be "believe" "professor/TA" condescending. I assume of "Rocks for Jocks".
    And I assume you've never posted a note with a typo? Aren't you special.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

  8. #88
    Back In Black ChiefKN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    The Nice Part of New Jersey
    Posts
    6,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    But, there is plenty of scientific evidence that disproves what religion teaches...overwhelmingly. Yet, people keep clinging to it as truth...just like people disregard the truth about cigarette smoking.
    Tell me what evidence disproves the existence of god? Also, "what religion teaches" is so vague and all non-encompasing that I wouldn't know where to begin.

    But keep it up, you're impressing us all with your stunning commentary.
    Last edited by ChiefKN; 09-10-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

    "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

    "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

  9. #89
    Forum Member HuntPA's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Northwest PA
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I don't waste time on young earthers anymore. I find them too pathetically ignorant to bother with. I could attempt a factual conversation, but I usually get paid to teach science and I find young earthers typically need at least a couple of years of background education before they can debate the subject intelligently. I don't have that kind of time to waste.

    Go ahead and believe whatever fairy tales you wish.
    Since you wish to end the discussion with me then, I will sign off on this subject and wish you a good day.

    I will add, however, that when adressing someone, calling them "pathetically ignorant" does not evoke feelings of good will. I also implore you not to use such a tone in your classes as it will undoubtedly lead to you losing your position. I know that if I were to take the same tact, that I would no longer be employed the the university that pays me.

  10. #90
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    But, there is plenty of scientific evidence that disproves what religion teaches...overwhelmingly. Yet, people keep clinging to it as truth...just like people disregard the truth about cigarette smoking.
    Allow me to clarify my statement. Science cannot prove, or disprove the existence of a god. Certainly it can prove or disprove various religious teachings... aka Geocentrism and Young Earth Creationism. The later statement better corresponds with your analogy.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts