Thread: Helmet Weight

Forum Member

Default Helmet Weight

This is my first posting thread. I've been through the site for quite some time and have always done alot of research here. Now it's time for me to ask for some specific help.

I tried a search for helmet weight with not much to be found.....I have been through all the manufacturers' sites and there is hardly a mention of weight. I want to know that, for example, that a Cairns 1044 is __ ounces which compares to a 1000 at __ ounces or a TL2 at __ ounces.

Is there a spreadsheet of helmet weights available?

Here's my particular situation........I've been wearing a Conway Heritage for three years....the fit is excellent (I also like the styling and the protection)......but over time I have gotten to the point where weight is becoming a factor for me.....from all I read, and continue to read, is that the Heritage is a rather heavy helmet. Duh. So, I went out and ordered myself a Phenix....wow, what a difference...I could wear it all night.....I like the 'bend' but not the 'bowl' look.....unfortunately it does not provide me the same 'feel' and comfortable fit. That's most important to me.

In addition, I never realized that I'd need to spend an additional $50 for a shield on the Phenix. I thought that my current shield would fit....but Phenix has an odd holder and size.

I can not make the financial investment in a Cairns leather.

Here I sit considering a change again. I will stay traditional style. I will consider 'plastic'. I know I can ask for recommendations but do not want to open up a thread of "get this - n - get that".....what I want is a reference chart of helmet weight. From there I can make other judgements.

I sure wish I had a place to go and to try models in a store setting, but not available anywhere nearby that I know of (Southern Maine). Is going to a show my only option?

Steer me in the direction and I'll go from there!!! As it looks, I am ready to sell the Phenix AND the Conway. I know I'll get back all I put into the Conway and will lose on the Phenix. Thanks!
    Last edited by deputybuxton; 09-04-2010 at 05:23 PM.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by deputybuxton View Post
    This is my first posting thread. I've been through the site for quite some time and have always done alot of research here. Now it's time for me to ask for some specific help.

I tried a search for helmet weight with not much to be found.....I have been through all the manufacturers' sites and there is hardly a mention of weight. I want to know that, for example, that a Cairns 1044 is __ ounces which compares to a 1000 at __ ounces or a TL2 at __ ounces.

Here's my particular situation........I've been wearing a Conway Heritage for three years....the fit is excellent (I also like the styling and the protection)......but over time I have gotten to the point where weight is becoming a factor for me.....from all I read, and continue to read, is that the Heritage is a rather heavy helmet. Duh. So, I went out and ordered myself a Phenix....wow, what a difference...I could wear it all night.....I like the 'bend' but not the 'bowl' look.....unfortunately it does not provide me the same 'feel' and comfortable fit. That's most important to me.

In addition, I never realized that I'd need to spend an additional $50 for a shield on the Phenix. I thought that my current shield would fit....but Phenix has an odd holder and size.

Here I sit considering a change again. I will stay traditional style. I will consider 'plastic'. I know I can ask for recommendations but do not want to open up a thread of "get this - n - get that".....what I want is a reference chart of helmet weight. From there I can make other judgements.

I sure wish I had a place to go and to try models in a store setting, but not available anywhere nearby that I know of (Southern Maine). Is going to a show my only option?

Steer me in the direction and I'll go from there!!! As it looks, I am ready to sell the Phenix AND the Conway. I know I'll get back all I put into the Conway and will lose on the Phenix. Thanks!

Welcome to the site. You probably can contact the helmet makers for a specification sheet, this may help answer most if not all of your questions You could do a Google search on those you are interested.

Forum Member

well.....I have sent e-mails to all the manufacturers......Conway, Bullard, Cairns, Morning Pride.......not one response after a full business week......I'll keep on this issue and hope to be able to post up some numbers as FYI......I am confused as to why the weight is such a 'top-secret' specification....at least Phenix comes right out and shows 55 ounces.......but not one other manufacturer gives a number for a standard configuration weight

Forum Member

Exclamation

A quick Google search showed the following:

Paul Conway

http://www.paulconwayshields.com/store/index.asp

The American Classic with ESS Goggles
    The American Classic™

Shell — fiberglass shell employs exclusive TherMax™ composite technology to ensure thermal protection, light weight, and structural integrity of the entire shell. RTM molding provides color pigmentation throughout for lasting good looks. Weighs approximately 3 lbs 15.7 oz and may vary between helmets.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Exclamation

A quick Google search showed the following:

Paul Conway

http://www.paulconwayshields.com/store/index.asp

The American Classic with ESS Goggles
    The American Classic™

Shell — fiberglass shell employs exclusive TherMax™ composite technology to ensure thermal protection, light weight, and structural integrity of the entire shell. RTM molding provides color pigmentation throughout for lasting good looks. Weighs approximately 3 lbs 15.7 oz and may vary between helmets.

The American Heritage™ with ESS goggles
    The American Heritage™ leather fire helmet with ESS goggles is a traditional-style leather fire fighter helmet that combines time-honored styling and craftsmanship with state-of-the-art advancements in design, leather tanning, and composites. The result is a low-profile leather helmet that is attractive, durable, and comfortable.

Shell — Leather processed with state-of-the-art chromium tanning process to seal protective qualities and color and to reflect heat. Won’t chip like painted leather helmets. Weighs approximately 4 lbs and 5.4 oz. and may vary between helmets.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Have not heard from Bullard or Morning Pride....the Cairns rep was excellent.

Based on 'standard' configurations in ounces:

Cairns: 1010 56
    1044 56
    1000 55
    880 47
    5A 56

Conway Classic 64
    Heritage 72

Phenix TC1 55
    LT2 55

Will follow-up again with the reps at Bullard and MP regarding the UST6 and the Ben II Plus .

Forum Member

the ben 2 plus in 50 ounces

Thread Information