Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Nice, I should be done with medic school by then. Thank You. I think I am def. going to apply for this. I need to get out of Ohio haha

Forum Member

Come on down!!! Get your 1.5 mile run time right!!!

Forum Member

Where do we find what the physical agility consists of or is there not one to look at?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Where do we find what the physical agility consists of or is there not one to look at?
    Did you even care to look at the link I originally posted?????? C'mon man, look around a little. You aren't one of those in need of spoon feeding, are ya'????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post

Out of town folks are more than welcome to apply. However, no special treatment is given (flight delayed? sorry..., get lost? try again next year) for anyone.

Any other questions, ask away. I'll answer what I can....

Any idea on how many will sit for the test? Just wondering about my odds coming from the Midwest.

Thanks fellas

Forum Member

My bad man. I appreciate the info you are giving us.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FF173 View Post
    Any idea on how many will sit for the test? Just wondering about my odds coming from the Midwest.

Thanks fellas
    Hard to tell with the economy and the amount of layoffs. No where close to places like FDNY, Chicago and DCFD, but if I had to guess I'd say under 2,000.

Forum Member

Hard to tell with the economy and the amount of layoffs. No where close to places like FDNY, Chicago and DCFD, but if I had to guess I'd say under 2,000.
    Dang only hiring 35/2000 or so aye? Whoa. Alright well thanks for the information

Forum Member

Dang only hiring 35/2000 or so aye? Whoa. Alright well thanks for the information
    No idea if they're going to establish a list to hire from. We keep hearing multiple academies, back to back, so it would make sense for budget reasons.

If 1500 apply, you have to figure some won't show, some will be late, some will fail the reading test and others will fail the agility. Not to mention those ruled out from criminal or driving record, or missing info on their app's.

Apply, what have you got to lose? Maybe apply to Durham and Raleigh when you come out? Kill two with one trip....

No idea if they're going to establish a list to hire from. We keep hearing multiple academies, back to back, so it would make sense for budget reasons.

If 1500 apply, you have to figure some won't show, some will be late, some will fail the reading test and others will fail the agility. Not to mention those ruled out from criminal or driving record, or missing info on their app's.

Apply, what have you got to lose? Maybe apply to Durham and Raleigh when you come out? Kill two with one trip....

What the Brother said. APPLY, no matter how many APPLY. Can't get hired unless you APPLY.

Just a note of interest. Richmond VA had over 3000 applications last year. 500 invited to the agility. So far two classes, one of 20 and the current one I was told, 24, was hired. Another one will follow.

If you want a job, you have to be the best candidate, but you have to APPLY!!!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Yeah I was just going through the website, saw the age requriement was 21, counts me out.
    But thanks for the help fellas. Good luck to everyone testing

Forum Member

Yeah I was just going through the website, saw the age requriement was 21, counts me out.
    But thanks for the help fellas. Good luck to everyone testing
    This should not count you out unless you're like 18. If you're 19 or 20 TAKE the test. IT says that you must be 21 by the time you start the academy. Do you know how long this could take? Take it from my stand point. Started a recruitment process at 20, conditional offer at 21 and ill be 22 by the time i graduate from this academy. It takes a long time dude.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    This should not count you out unless you're like 18. If you're 19 or 20 TAKE the test. IT says that you must be 21 by the time you start the academy. Do you know how long this could take? Take it from my stand point. Started a recruitment process at 20, conditional offer at 21 and ill be 22 by the time i graduate from this academy. It takes a long time dude.
    Oh I could have swore I read "21 at time of application."
    Thanks

Shawshank

Take the test anyways. Good test scores come from experience and studying. Take as many as you can!
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Is there anything an out of state applicant needs to do for this job or to test?

Forum Member

Whats the retirement like? 20, 25 yrs? is there a drop program? Do you pay into your pension?
    Are any of the Units ALS? Do you get incentive pay for have a PM?
    My bad if all these questions were answered already.

Forum Member

Oh I could have swore I read "21 at time of application."
    Thanks
    Is there an age limit?
    The Raleigh Fire Department requires that recruits be at least 21 years of age at the start of the academy. There is no upper age limit.

FAILED THE READING TEST!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Is there anything an out of state applicant needs to do for this job or to test?
    Read the link I provided as the first post. Look through everything on the link (hiring requirements, etc.). We've hired plenty from out of state. Be early, not on time. If you're late, you're late. Whether you've come 500 miles or 500 feet to take the test, doesn't matter. No special consideration.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtgallo21 View Post
    Whats the retirement like? 20, 25 yrs? is there a drop program? Do you pay into your pension?
    Are any of the Units ALS? Do you get incentive pay for have a PM?
    My bad if all these questions were answered already.
    Unfortunately, we're one of very few 30 year states. With sick time towards retiring, typically guys go out around 28 years. I plan to go out at age 49, as I started at 21.

No drop program.

Yes, we pay a small portion into our pension.

No ALS units, thank God. We have a county run EMS system, which just passed Seattle for the number of successful cardiac resuscitations. The system works great, and we all play very well together.

No incentive for medic, we operate at EMT level and that's it. We have medics and EMT-I's within our department. But, if they ride a rig with RFD on the side, they operate as an EMT.

Forum Member

Minimum Requirements
    HS graduate (or GED). US Citizen. Age 21 by the beginning of the academy, tentatively scheduled for April 26, 2011. Vision corrected to 20/30 in each eye and cannot be colorblind. A Valid NC Class "C" Driver's License.

I'm from out of state. does this mean i have to get a NC license to take the test? or just be able to get one ??
    To the men who were there that day, my utmost respect.
    To those that will be there the next time, Ill be there by your side

Thread Information