+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last
    Forum Member

Default Raleigh, NC, HIRING NOW!!

http://raleighnc.gov/safety/content/...cruitment.html

Process is open until 10/22....word on the street is they're hiring 35.
    Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 09-05-2010 at 02:40 PM.

Shawshank

What shifts do they work? What is their apparatus staffing? Ambulances or no?
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

We work this, whatever you want to call it; XOXOXOOOO

No ambulances, assigned to an engine or ladder after a 6-month academy (salary from day 1). We are EMT's, responding as "first responders". Rookies are rotated once a year for three years.

Staffing; ladders are typically staffed with four, engines with three. We have "rescue companies", three of them, but they're only staffed with two members. Yes, two. It goes back to the old days when the "rescue" was a crew that backed up EMS for transport. Now, the rescue is an arm of the ladder company at fires, and will be a full crew one day. Not a priority right now though, adding ladder companies to the city is.

NC is a "right to work" state, no collective bargaining unfortunately. Our Chief is from Philly, and most love him (I'm one). He's playing catch up for the many years past of improper management and planning. I've been here ten years and can say I've seen us come A LONG WAY.

Raleigh is a great place to live; I highly recommend the Cary/Apex area.
    Last edited by RFDGloWorm; 09-05-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Forum Member

Never mind, wrong post.
    Last edited by FF173; 09-05-2010 at 09:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

just curious, what is the starting pay in Raleigh? cost of living?

Forum Member

http://raleighnc.gov/home/content/Co...ter143102.html

Permanent Position : Firefighter
    Position Title: Firefighter
    Position Number: 143-10
    Number of Positions: 1
    Closing Date: 10/22/2010
    Salary Range: $32,673
    Department: Fire
    Division: Operations

Minimum Requirements
    HS graduate (or GED). US Citizen. Age 21 by the beginning of the academy, tentatively scheduled for April 26, 2011. Vision corrected to 20/30 in each eye and cannot be colorblind. A Valid NC Class "C" Driver's License.

Position Duties
    This is an entry-level position involving development of skills, knowledge, and abilities related to protection of life and property through firefighting and providing emergency medical treatment to the sick and injured. Candidates must successfully complete the Fire Academy, including becoming state certified as an EMT (Emergency Medical Technician).
    Please complete the Firefighter Employment application (available at Keeter Training Center, Any City of Raleigh Fire Station, or the Personnel Department) and submit via USPS or in person by the closing date to:

Keeter Training Center
    105 Keeter Center Drive
    Raleigh, NC 27601
    (919) 831-6395 (office)

If you would like to submit your application in person, please do so Monday - Friday 9 am - 5 pm. Keeter Training Center will also be open on the following four Saturdays to accept applications from 9 am - 12 noon: September 25, October 2, 9, and 16.

Applications will not be accepted via email or fax. Please contact the Keeter Training Center at 919-831-6395 or visit their website for more information.

*Salary information listed with each vacancy includes the entire pay range for that position; from the minimum rate to the maximum rate, as described in the City of Raleigh's Classification and Salary Plan.

Also see http://www.city-data.com/city/Raleig...-Carolina.html for info on Raleigh, NC

Forum Member

Raleigh has a very tough agility test. I took it last year and it was by far one of the toughest ones.

Shawshank

1 position open??? What happened to 35?
    Don't be a know it all! Be a know a lot!

Forum Member

Any idea what the top out pay is for firefighter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    Any idea what the top out pay is for firefighter?
    An idea, you might try calling the phone listed and ask them.

Don't know why they didn't list the range or more than one position.

I hit the url to see for my self and it is the same as the poster listed it.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Does anybody know when the test actually is, date wise? Also, I live in Ohio and am considering taking this test, do I need to do anything special as far as with my Certs or anything, or would they transfer right to NC? Thank You.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    1 position open??? What happened to 35?
    We're hiring for 35 spots; word on the street is to run at least one more academy after this one....

Takes a while to top out. I've been here ten years, last year after overtime I made $57,000 (however, I'm unmarried, own a condo and two cars, so it's affordable here).

We have several steps as a fireman; Firefighter, First Class Fireman, Senior Fireman (then Engineer and Captain). Takes three years until you can promote to "First Class", which is an assistant driver. "Senior Fireman" is the same, just means you have three years as a "First Class".

Out of town folks are more than welcome to apply. However, no special treatment is given (flight delayed? sorry..., get lost? try again next year) for anyone.

From a guy's perspective, this area is great. Cool social scene, and beautiful women from all over the U.S. come here because this area is one of the best in the nation for single professionals (just an extra perk for the area).

As far as your certs go, worry about getting hired first. You get everything you need in recruit school. Unless you're a certified N.C. EMT already or NR-EMT, you still have to take all of the tests. Any other certs (Fire Officer, Instructor) you can worry about later.

Any other questions, ask away. I'll answer what I can....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    An idea, you might try calling the phone listed and ask them.

Don't know why they didn't list the range or more than one position.

I hit the url to see for my self and it is the same as the poster listed it.
    Cap', my guess is they didn't want to give the impression of a negotiable salary???? Not sure...I know the cops here list their salary range, that's because they hire laterals too and your salary is negotiable if you lateral in.

Forum Member

Knucklehead, you sent me a PM but can't receive them in return. How the heck am I supposed to reply?

Forum Member

There isn't a lot of info on the testing procedure, as far as how you are scored. The way I read it seems the physical and reading comprehension are pass/fail and you are more or less scored off your inital application and interview? I'd like to gauge how competitve the process is versus just throwing my hat in the mix. I only have so much vacation time to go out of town so I want to be sure I applying in places I can be competitve.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cub2311 View Post
    There isn't a lot of info on the testing procedure, as far as how you are scored. The way I read it seems the physical and reading comprehension are pass/fail and you are more or less scored off your inital application and interview? I'd like to gauge how competitve the process is versus just throwing my hat in the mix. I only have so much vacation time to go out of town so I want to be sure I applying in places I can be competitve.
    You'd be surprised how many people can't pass the "sit and reach" or 1.5 mile run. My advice; come down and show out. It's a few days for an awesome career....

Forum Member

Question Rescue?

Hey RFDGloWorm, so I take it the departments Rescue companies aren't very busy if they are just staffed with 2? Do you see the department running their rescue like a lot of the northeast FD's do with 4 anytime soon? thanx!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mgordon53 View Post
    Hey RFDGloWorm, so I take it the departments Rescue companies aren't very busy if they are just staffed with 2? Do you see the department running their rescue like a lot of the northeast FD's do with 4 anytime soon? thanx!
    Trust me, the Chief wants to change the Rescue set-up. He agrees two members is "just getting the rig to the scene". However, right now it's tough because he's playing catch up from previous administrations lack of planning. For Ops, Ladder Companies and manpower are priority, but he'd love to change the Rescues too.

The last rumor was scaling down to two rescue companies, staffing them with at least four a piece.

The Rescues run on pin jobs, tech rescue calls, fires, and stuck elevator calls. They also answer medicals if need be. The plus is they go to every fire, so 33% chance you may catch work. And finally, now they have direction so they're performing truck work, for now......

Forum Member

Do you know when the actual test is? I am currently in Medic school, so I dont know when I need to schedule things or what not to arrange time to take it

Forum Member

Nope, I don't. The site says you sign up around the first week of December. Maybe the first of the year????

Forum Member

Nice, I should be done with medic school by then. Thank You. I think I am def. going to apply for this. I need to get out of Ohio haha

Forum Member

Come on down!!! Get your 1.5 mile run time right!!!

Forum Member

Where do we find what the physical agility consists of or is there not one to look at?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Where do we find what the physical agility consists of or is there not one to look at?
    Did you even care to look at the link I originally posted?????? C'mon man, look around a little. You aren't one of those in need of spoon feeding, are ya'????

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDGloWorm View Post

Out of town folks are more than welcome to apply. However, no special treatment is given (flight delayed? sorry..., get lost? try again next year) for anyone.

Any other questions, ask away. I'll answer what I can....

Any idea on how many will sit for the test? Just wondering about my odds coming from the Midwest.

Thanks fellas

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... Last

Thread Information