Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Default Personal tools, and no, this is not about what is in your pockets!

Okay, of late I have seen a few guys buying personal tools, an example would be at least one guy on my career FD has bought his own Halligan tool.

My son, and a couple of his friends on our local volly FD are talking about buying tools, like Halligans, axes, and hooks of their own.

Is it just me or does that seem just a wee bit extreme? I will admit that back in the day when my volly FD had VERY limited funds, (as compared to today when we just have limited funds) I too considered it simply because we had no Halligan tool. I never followed through because well, I was just too damn poor.

So talk to me, what do you think?
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Okay, of late I have seen a few guys buying personal tools, an example would be at least one guy on my career FD has bought his own Halligan tool.

My son, and a couple of his friends on our local volly FD are talking about buying tools, like Halligans, axes, and hooks of their own.

Is it just me or does that seem just a wee bit extreme? I will admit that back in the day when my volly FD had VERY limited funds, (as compared to today when we just have limited funds) I too considered it simply because we had no Halligan tool. I never followed through because well, I was just too damn poor.

I want a FUBAR. That's really about as far as I'll go. Would it be interesting/cool to have your own halligan? Yeah I guess. But I don't need it. I would like one of those fullsize FUBAR tools though.

Forum Member

This sets a BAD precedence. A really bad precedence and should stop immediately. It is the cities responsibility. It is that clear cut. Next time the department goes to the city for gear or tools, they'll say , "Why? You guys go out and buy them all the time. Why don't you go buy it now."

Maybe we should go out and buy our own engines to ride to work in...

Let's talk fire trucks!

We have a number of guys that carry thier own tools, flashlights (Vulcans usually), and the like. There's never been a question of the availability of tools, as the county is very good to us. Some of the personnel feel that a particular tool might help them be more effective at the job. There's never been a question of not purchasing tools for us because some of the folks have purchased their own over time....
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

the 4-1-4

Is it just me or does that seem just a wee bit extreme?

I guess it depends on context or intent of use. Many guys here buy their own tools, such as hand lights, a few probars, and the TnT tool. Guys will also purchase their own bailout kits. If the department doesn’t provide it for you, and you feel the tool is important to your job, who is the responsibility for taking care of it?
    If we wait for the department/city to provide a means for us to conduct emergency egress, guys will be forced to jump or burn. If a guy is promoted to lieutenant or driver here, they will be on the road for two to three years; maybe they feel a need to have a consistent or better hand light, or a heavier-gauge hand tool.

It could get to a point of being extreme, which is why I think it depends on context. How many guys buy their own pliers, knives, etc…

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post
    This sets a BAD precedence. A really bad precedence and should stop immediately. It is the cities responsibility. It is that clear cut. Next time the department goes to the city for gear or tools, they'll say , "Why? You guys go out and buy them all the time. Why don't you go buy it now."

I will buy whatever I feel I need to improve my safety, if the city doesn’t provide it for me. That is not a slippery slope, or leading us to the point of buying our own rigs. I know virtually every guy out there does the same thing. The city doesn’t provide myself with a knife, window punch, emergency egress kit, etc… Does that mean I shouldn’t supply myself with them, even though having those tools will make myself safer?
    Every job I am familiar with has some kind of clothing allowance, or annual payout for some type of uniform/clothing/personal item purchases.
    Besides, if it isn’t covered by a law or in the wording of a CBA, the city doesn’t have an obligation to provide it.

Forum Member
    A Great place USA, which means not West Coast...!

All of our Truck, and Engine Companies, and squad are pretty well stocked with forcible entry tools, and a wide variety of different style hooks (pike poles,NY hooks, trash hook, drywall poles) but guys on my job do sometimes buy their own tools. For example, I bought/carry my own box light (Streamlight Vulcan) that I carry on my gut belt. Some guys buy their own maul, or pickhead ax. A lot of guys like carrying a maul rather then a flat head ax when using the irons. Guys will buy their own maul, tape it up to their liking, and weld a U-shaped piece of metal on the top of the mauls head to marry it with a halligan. Most of our "company" mauls have this weld, but some guys like to carry their own shi% I guess. Each of our houses have gear racks for bunker gear, and guys just keep their personal tool next to their gear and throw it on the rig at the start of the shift and reverse the process by putting it back in their locker with their gear at the end of the 24 hours.
    FDNY 343 9/11/01 WILL Never Forget!

(W-6)

"We Lucky Few We Band of Brothers." William Shakespeare

"let no man's ghost return to say his training let him down. "

D-P-T

Forum Member

I don't have a problem with it. Some guys here have done it, but normally only if it is a tool the department doesn't provide. We have a standard list of equipment that each engine and truck company has. If it is beyond that, and you want one, it is up to you to go get one. For instance, the department buys Hooligans. Some guys like Pro Bars. The department still buys pike poles. Some of us prefer roof hooks.

I too agree that this is not as dramatic of an issue as some people would make you believe.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MassFireGuy View Post

I am not sure that a few guys buying personal tools will lead to the city not buying reqired equipment. I suppose weirder things have happened.

I would go along with buying our own engines if we bought Mack CF's and had them torn apart and completely refurbed so they were as good as new!!
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

I am not sure that a few guys buying personal tools will lead to the city not buying reqired equipment. I suppose weirder things have happened.

I would go along with buying our own engines if we bought Mack CF's and had them torn apart and completely refurbed so they were as good as new!!
    Mack needs to get back into the fire apparatus business.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Mack needs to get back into the fire apparatus business.
    Hallelujah!! Testify my Brother!! TESTIFY!!

AND bring back the CF!! Man I love my volly FD's 1974 CF. I got myself assigned to that versus our newer engine. 36 years old and it met pump test last year while only running 20 rpms over new!! A beautiful rig, that is as tough as it is realiable.
    Maybe it's not too late

Forum Member

AND bring back the CF!! Man I love my volly FD's 1974 CF. I got myself assigned to that versus our newer engine. 36 years old and it met pump test last year while only running 20 rpms over new!! A beautiful rig, that is as tough as it is realiable.
    CF AND the MC,both have their places. T.C.

Forum Member

I see nothing wrong with a firefighter buying a tool that will make his job smoother and more productive. We all have at some point in our careers been subjected to equipment that the trainning division saw fit for use and it was a piece of poo poo. At my department we have a tradition of handing down personal tools from the senior Firefighters(firefighter only, no D/Es, LTs, BCs, or Capts) to a new recruit who exemplifies what a firefighter should be and so on. My tool has been in the suck for the last 30 years and I just passed it down to my best probie. I believe this promotes brotherhood and pride and helps the new recruits in striving for the best they can be.

Forum Member

The CF and MC have their places --- the CF fighting fire and the MC hauling garbage.

Back In Black

We are in the process of replacing our last CF. A 1980 100' Aerial.

We used to be all Mack CF's.. my favorite a 1984 that we replaced 3 years ago.

As for buying your own tools... I don't get it. Just one more thing to grab from the locker and carry onto the apparatus. I've never found myself in a position that the apparatus didn't have the tool I wanted or needed.

But that's just me...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Yep!...........

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    The CF and MC have their places --- the CF fighting fire and the MC hauling garbage.

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!.......................
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!.......................
    Harve, you'll appreciate the fact that I own old E-302.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

55 Years & Still Rolling

Smile Well............

Some of our Guys have bought a tool for themselves........ Never had a Problem..............
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess I don't see a problem with it but I shake my head at people who go that far. Sure, I see purchasing your own flashlight but your own halligan? I just don't see where you would be in a position of not having a tool.

That goes along with the more years of service you have on, the less stuff you have hanging off your belt!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

It would be an improvement if I could get my guys to remember to grab the Halligan that's already on the truck. There sure ain't nobody buying their own...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Huh??............

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Harve, you'll appreciate the fact that I own old E-302.

LHVFD E-302??........ Charlie's War Wagon??......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Let's talk fire trucks!

:
    LHVFD E-302??........ Charlie's War Wagon??......
    That's it!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a couple of guys that have purchased their own halligan tools. No real problem but I wouldn't spend the money for on that. Most often people here purchase leather helmets, gloves, radio straps and maybe flashlights. Mostly what would be considered personal items.

55 Years & Still Rolling

Thumbs up Absolutely!...........

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    :

That's it!

I am certainly happy to know it has a Good Home. I didn't have a Clue where it went. 30 put some money in it, had Delmarva Fire do a rather lengthy refurb.......... Quick Story about the Mack's Boss: Chief Charlie Burton was a Family Friend of long Standing, and a Legend in PG County and the State. Back when PG went to "Home Rule" Government, in 1970, one of the Provisions for Managing the VFDs was the creation of the Fire Commission. Charlie was elected as the District III Commissioner, a Post he held continuously until his death in 1999. Three Weeks after his Funeral, I was elected to fill his seat. I was reelected for the 11th time this July, still 1 of only 2 Chiefs to hold that position since Day One, some 40 Years ago.......
    In memory of

IACOJ Budget Analyst

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I have no problem with guys buying their own tools. As long as they maintain them and take care of where they put them on the trucks. Loose tools sitting on the floors of the trucks are not acceptable. They become projectiles and are a danger to all in the truck. If they are going to put them in the compartment when they are on the truck, then go for it.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I was reelected for the 11th time this July, still 1 of only 2 Chiefs to hold that position since Day One, some 40 Years ago.......
    Good God man that's a long time.

And the place would not even be close to where it's at now without you.
    Thank you!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information